Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 230612 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Return to the Keep [Turn 36]
« Reply #765 on: July 22, 2010, 08:00:39 pm »

I'd rather wait until after I've talked with a priest. It can't really wait, and on a particularly good roll\ it might delay the fall of the city.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 22, 2010, 09:32:02 pm »

I will attempt to learn alchemy from the best alchemists.
My golem will add the flesh of the imps to itself, or failing that, practice with his voulge.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 22, 2010, 10:13:11 pm »

Figure out way to make frozen bursts fire in single direction. Also, stroll markets, see what's around.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 23, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »

My golem will add the flesh of the imps to itself, or failing that, practice with his voulge.
I'll change my action to train you, since you've saved my life so much.
Nom nom nom

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 23, 2010, 08:18:57 pm »

Thanks!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 23, 2010, 09:47:21 pm »

Train Cheddarius in the ways of alchemy, whilst thinking on ways I could combine my current ingredients to produce a potion that would give the user a huge boost in strength, healing and constitution (rage an added bonus :).

I order the gelatin to attempt to drain energy from plant life using it's new crystal powers... and to become visible.

Destroy the book? Bah, that would be a waste! I try to create a rune that can absorb demonic power, carved onto my staff.

I visit a priest to discuss the nature of my findings on souls and to ask about methods of purifying corrupted demonic souls. If possible, I'll ask somebody important for where we should next hit our foes.

Seeing as we now are in a relatively safe place I start practicing in a new school of magic:

Heads, I do Fire; Tails, I do Necromancy.
Tails. Necromancy it is.

Necromancy. And I'm sure I should have a grasp on it since I've seen Nirur done it a hundreds of times. Can't be that hard. See if I can do a Life Tap on a critter noone would miss where we also are secluded from the others. Stone Spirit will help me in this endeavor by capturing said critter.

I'll try to negate the rune of harm on my brigandine, be it remembering a rune from my pre-mirror self, or searching for someone to help me out. If I have to look for someone to help me with the rune, I'll also look for someone to repair the broken scalemail in the process.

Figure out way to make frozen bursts fire in single direction. Also, stroll markets, see what's around.

Need Acanthus.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 24, 2010, 03:56:52 am »

switch scimitar for enchanted longsword, try to trade my extra weapons [enchanted spear, spare enchanted dagger, scimitar] with the refugees.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Magical Shenanigans [Turn 37]
« Reply #772 on: July 24, 2010, 09:54:58 am »

Train Cheddarius in the ways of alchemy, whilst thinking on ways I could combine my current ingredients to produce a potion that would give the user a huge boost in strength, healing and constitution (rage an added bonus :).

I order the gelatin to attempt to drain energy from plant life using it's new crystal powers... and to become visible.

You start to teach Cheddarius (5+3) elaborating on many complex aspects of alchemy while trying to figure out how to make an advanced potion. (Luck 3) You don't figure out how to make such a potion, but you do recall what several of your new found ingredients do; despite it's foul taste, troll blood temporarily provides a large bonus to regeneration and healing, while ankheg acid can provide a boost to someone's reflexes if you can find a way to stop the acid from burning away the inside of their esophagus. (Luck 6) You feel that directly mixing the two is probably a bad idea, since trolls are inherently weak to acid and doing so might destroy one or both ingredients.

+3 to Alchemy

Destroy the book? Bah, that would be a waste! I try to create a rune that can absorb demonic power, carved onto my staff.

You try to figure out how to make a rune to absorb demonic energy, (4+2) and believe you may be able to altar a rune of power to have some sort of similar effect. (Luck 6) Unable to finish creating the rune on your own however, you decider to open up your very useful tome and search for something. The same strange phenomenon occurs were you read words you don't understand, and you figure out how to finish the rune. As you close the book, once again you feel the same eerie sensation as you feel your blood surge with magical energy.

+4 to Runecrafting
New Spell: Rune of Subversion

I visit a priest to discuss the nature of my findings on souls and to ask about methods of purifying corrupted demonic souls. If possible, I'll ask somebody important for where we should next hit our foes.

You head to the nearby church, and talk with the head priest. (5) You explain your findings to him, and he answers;
"You know, while that is new information I am not very surprised. It has long been known that virtuous souls transform into angels when they pass to the heavens, so I guess it makes sense that corrupted ones are transformed into demons. (Luck 2) I'm not really sure what can be done about it, however. Such creatures are almost surely past redemption. I must warn you to tread carefully, Necromancer. While your knowledge may help us fight this war, you tread a fine line by using your soul magic. Many who peruse necromancy turn to darker magic in their lust for power, which invariably corrupts them."

+2 to Diplomacy

Seeing as we now are in a relatively safe place I start practicing in a new school of magic:

Heads, I do Fire; Tails, I do Necromancy.
Tails. Necromancy it is.

Necromancy. And I'm sure I should have a grasp on it since I've seen Nirur done it a hundreds of times. Can't be that hard. See if I can do a Life Tap on a critter noone would miss where we also are secluded from the others. Stone Spirit will help me in this endeavor by capturing said critter.
You attempt to recollect what Nirur did to use his magic. (5) You find a rat wandering in one of the alleyways, and try to lifetap it. (Luck 1) Unfortunately, you can't seem to do anything over than make it run away.

+1 to Necromancy
New Spell: Fear

I'll try to negate the rune of harm on my brigandine, be it remembering a rune from my pre-mirror self, or searching for someone to help me out. If I have to look for someone to help me with the rune, I'll also look for someone to repair the broken scalemail in the process.

You work on removing the rune from your armor, (1+1) but the rune is pretty deep. (Luck 3) You finally end up removing the rune, but destroy the armor in the process.
+1 to Runecrafting

You study under Aarchan. (6+1) Despite that the advanced concepts Aarchan rambles about would probably be way over the heads of most people of your skill level, you pick them up perfectly. (Luck 6) You learn a great deal about alchemy, though none of it can really be applied to healing.

+4 to Alchemy

You try to modify your frozen burst spell (2+3) and focus on directing the cold in a certain direction. (Luck 1) Unfortunately, that direction is towards yourself, and you end up encasing yourself in ice. Again.

+1 to Elementalism

switch scimitar for enchanted longsword, try to trade my extra weapons [enchanted spear, spare enchanted dagger, scimitar] with the refugees.
You find it extremely difficult to put down your force dagger. (4) You groan suddenly, realizing that this one is probably cursed too. (Luck 6) Maybe all the demon weapons are?

Cheddarius' goelm remains outside the city, practicing with the volgue. (4) It is moderately competent (Luck 6) and learns more about using it.

+2 to Axes

Aarchan's gelatin seems to be protein-based, and thus can't use plant matter. It does suddenly become visible, however.

Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virroken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aarchan(Kilakan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kin(KineseN) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragnar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marcus(Acanthus117) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cheddarius (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:58:59 am by RandomNumberGenerator »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 24, 2010, 10:13:55 am »

I vote we go kill the mage, and go for the capital after we're done looting his tower.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that this is likely timed based on turn count compared to how much we disrupt our enemies, rather then based on how much we dawdle. With this in mind, I vote we head out this turn.

I work with Cheddarius to create a soul-linked group heal duo spell.
If he doesn't want to do so this turn, I'll just try to devise an advanced necromantic minion spell.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:15:43 am by Nirur Torir »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 24, 2010, 10:22:08 am »

I vote we go kill the mage, and go for the capital after we're done looting his tower.
The capital? I agree with fighting the mage next, but the capital should probably be the last place we go.

Before we go I conjure a set of bracers, imprinted with linked runes of subversion and warding. (unless that would count as conjure major item, in which case leave out the rune of warding.)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 24, 2010, 12:57:49 pm »

Obvious thaw is obvious.

Does this mean I can control burst direction now? Even if its towards me, I can rig it, somehow.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 24, 2010, 01:05:50 pm »

Head to a church and stock up on holy water.
Gelatin can try and catch rats on the way and devour them to grow in size/strength.
Nom nom nom

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 24, 2010, 01:41:10 pm »

Attempt to destroy dagger with my Imbued Force Shortsword.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 24, 2010, 01:49:41 pm »

I work with Nirur Torir.
My golem practices with its voulge.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 24, 2010, 03:55:56 pm »

The more I think about it, the more I feel that this is likely timed based on turn count compared to how much we disrupt our enemies, rather then based on how much we dawdle. With this in mind, I vote we head out this turn.
I wouldn't mind if you spent a few more turns at the town, as long as you are doing something useful. Procuring alchemy ingredients that can't be found in demon lands, talking to the armorer, etc. is a good use of time. Seeking out a trainer to teach you something new would also be a good use of time, though it may be difficult to find a magic teacher. Standing in the middle of the town square swinging weapons around or firing bursts of magic hoping to inexplicably get better in your chosen discipline is not a good use of time, however.

Does this mean I can control burst direction now?

Nope. You didn't make a burst towards yourself, you just froze yourself.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:04:35 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 120