Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Question of the Week thread: Out of ideas  (Read 11287 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question of the Week thread: Now with twice the question.
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 02:34:50 am »

Hrm... I don't have a particularly favorite book.  My list of favorites is between twenty and thirty works long.

... Otherwise, though, I've been known to be oddly fond of Logical Journey of the Zoombinis.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 03:32:43 am »

How about favorite in a genre?

Sci-Fi, it'll be Starship Troopers

For Fantasy it's a toss up between On a Pale Horse and Dinotopia

Hard Sci-Fi, its Rendezvous with Rama.

Speculative Fiction, its Count of Monte Crisoto.

Favorite Star Trek book, Articles of the Federation.

Books I detest: Fahrenheit 451 and Island of the Blue Dolphins.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 04:12:59 am »

I didn't actually mind Farenheit 451. Confronting, yes, but. I like books like that.
Lord of the flies was great.

(Wait, are we actually allowed to offer opinion on other's answers?)

Least favourite Book: The Dragon Charmer.
Least favourite Movie: I was going to say Twilight, but then I remembered the Mario bros. movie. That. Nnnnnghhh.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:59:01 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 09:15:27 am »

My favorite book is "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. You must read this book. Now.

As for vidjagame? I'd have to go with Dwarf Fort. Failing that, Diablo II.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 04:03:28 pm »

Favorite book? I'd have to say The Hobbit.

Favorite videogame? Well, the only one that's really held my attention for a long time would be Dwarf Fortress. Nethack is probably a close second.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 04:20:33 pm »

My favourite colour is actually Orange.

Somebody else who capitalizes Orange!

Anyways, I'll have to share my favorite games and books now.

Hmm...
My favorite books are Dune and The October Country.
That second one might not count.

My favorite games are Morrowind, Arcanum, and GTA:SA.
Nothing like open world exploration.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 08:29:06 pm »

I'm unemployed and it's probably gonna stay that way. Too unstable for work, and too lazy to care.

My favorite color is a three way tie between white, black, and red. Those are the only colors Ill wear and anything I do will end up using those colors. No exceptions.

My hobbys are video games, reading, talking with friends, roleplaying (Both games and just for fun), and well. Sex. I like a lot honestly and now have a lot of free time to do pretty much whatever I want.

I'm not well read enough to choose a favorite book I think, but I'm partial to scifi. Especially anything by Phillip K. Dick.

My favorite game at the moment is Stalker: Call of Prypyat. Though Scarlet Weather Rapsody is REALLY fun too. When I'm in the mood for it Morrowind is up there too.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 08:38:21 pm »

How about favorite in a genre?

Guh, 20-30 is after I've already pared it down to genres/eras/languages/whatever.  It just doesn't work.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 12:04:29 am »

The reason why I don't like Farenheit 451, and I like and met, other Ray Bradbury works, is that it was the novel used to teach me literary mechanics. Inferences, references, symbolism, and foreshadowing ect.

I appreciate the lesson I learned, as I enjoy movies, tv, games, radio and novels so much more now. When we went on to discuss Anti-Heros, watching Darkman and One Who Flew Over the Coco Nest was much richer due to it.

I had to reread Farenheit 451 probably 20+ times over. I "lost" a lot of copies of the book. I've had at length discussion of it by paragraph. I detest it because, I am oversaturated with it.

I detest Island of the Blue Dolphin for a very similar reason.  When I was younger, I used to move around a lot. During the grade that Island of the Blue Dolphin was required reading, the 7 or 8 schools I moved during that grade, I either left when it was about done, and enter a new school when they were just reading it, or stayed long enough to read it again. I didn't really like Island of the Blue Dolphin to begin with and having to do so 8 times over, just made me loath the novel. The same thing about California Mission model building projects. Fucking awful.

Favorite Video game? Thats for myself is to hard to answer. Starcraft, I guess? I've played that for almost half my life fairly regularly. So I suppose it wins with hour played

---
@Vector:
Favorite Heinlein novel?
Favorite Clarke novel?
Favorite Niven works?
Favorite Alexander Dumass work?
Favorite Mark Twain Novel?

Mostly science fiction authors. XD I'm more well read then that, I just dig Sci fi books.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 12:21:41 am »

Favorite Heinlein novel? DO NOT WANT NOT FAVORITE STOP STOP STOP

I read most of Stranger in a Strange Land.  I hate that book so very, very, very much.

Favorite Clarke novel? Haven't read, should.
Favorite Niven works? Not familiar.  Not sure if I should be familiar.
Favorite Alexander Dumas work?  Not particularly fond of him.  Far better French authors out there, and his writing's a bit... hurg.  He doesn't make it onto my happy list.
Favorite Mark Twain Novel?  Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

^ I'm more well-read than that, I just don't read much sci-fi >_>

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 12:40:01 am »

Favorite Heinlein novel? DO NOT WANT NOT FAVORITE STOP STOP STOP

I read most of Stranger in a Strange Land.  I hate that book so very, very, very much.

Favorite Clarke novel? Haven't read, should.
Favorite Niven works? Not familiar.  Not sure if I should be familiar.
Favorite Alexander Dumas work?  Not particularly fond of him.  Far better French authors out there, and his writing's a bit... hurg.  He doesn't make it onto my happy list.
Favorite Mark Twain Novel?  Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

^ I'm more well-read than that, I just don't read much sci-fi >_>

Stranger in a Strange Land is from his later works. Its an odd ball. I really enjoy his juvenile works. Space Cadet, Have Space Suit Will Travel and Rolling Stones.

My favorite Twain novel is  (prep for the shocker!), A Yanky in King Author Court. It was also one of the first novel I read with a sad ending.

Niven is a jackass in person, but his work works are a neat adventure hard-ish sci fi stuff. At conventions it wasn't uncommon for fans and to chant 'Ringworld is Unstable' at him.   His fantasy works, I'm not as familiar with.  His joint work with Jerry Pournelle on a modern sequel to Dante Divine Comedy, Inferno, got me to read the Divine Comedy.

I was introduce at that right boy age of adventuresome with Dumass. Three Musketeers, and Man in the Iron Mask just stuck with me. I keep meaning to read some of his travel louges, what he mainly wrote I just haven't got around to it.

I find it curious a math major who doesn't like sci-fi.

Before I go into a new direction, whats are yer favored french authors?
--
Classical Greek literature?

I loved the Iliad, myself. Oddesus is so clever, but he counts on it to much and leads to arrogance for him. I was beside myself with excitment when he told the Cyclops his name (in the translation I read), was No-Man. I knew Oddesus had a plan to escape from the get go. 

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 01:34:47 am »

GAH!

I can't believe I forgot A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.  That one's my real favorite, I guess, other than the fact that I always forget he wrote it.

Favorite French authors: Rostand, Moliere, Baudelaire, Camus, Maupassant (novels only), Hugo (novels and poetry only), Gaston Leroux, Exupery.  Those are the better-known ones that I prefer, but I've also got a few poems by Apollinaire that I really liked... and there's Annie Ernaux, along with Amelie Nothomb.  They're both good authors.  Oh, and I've read a lot of really good Sartre (Les Jeux Sont Faits <3), Anouilh, Giraudoux, Ionesco... hell, I absolutely love Voltaire's Candide, as well.

.... Yeah.  I have a really, really hard time picking favorites.

Never read any Classical Greek literature, really.  I think I might have read a play or two, but nothing substantial.  Hope to get more of that done this summer.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2010, 02:16:28 am »

@Vector.

1. Favourite R.A. Salvatore Novel?
2. Favourite Raymond E. Feist Novel? (If magician is first, then give second)
3. Favourite David Gemell Novel?
4. Favourite Dan Brown Novel?
5. Favourite Terry Prattchet Novel?
6. Favourite Tamora Pierce Novel and/or Quartet.

I'm much more well read than that, I just really like fantasy.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 02:45:48 am »

1. Favourite R.A. Salvatore Novel?  Either Sojourn or Exile, I think.  Probably the former--I'll admit that I don't remember so well since I haven't read anything of his since middle school.

2. Favourite Raymond E. Feist Novel?  Haven't heard of him--I should take a look.

3. Favourite David Gemell Novel?  Also not familiar.  Is he worth looking into?

4. Favourite Dan Brown Novel?  ... No.  Just no.  I read about half of Da Vinci Code during STAR testing (standardized test crapola) week in high school and decided I'd rather sit around doing nothing than continue.  This is saying something, given the sheer amount of spare time I had at that point.

5. Favourite Terry Pratchett Novel?  Gah, hard to choose... I think I usually cite Night Watch as my favorite, but I'm also partial to Feet of Clay and anything with Lao-Tze or Moist Von Lipwig.

6. Favourite Tamora Pierce Novel and/or Quartet.  Haha, this one is easier.  Song of the Lioness, hands down (and probably Lioness Rampant best out of the four).  The Immortals next, though I felt there was a lot of irritating Mary-Sueing around Daine/Thayet in general.  The Realms of the Gods was my favorite there.  It had the most interesting setting and characters.

Hrm... and in the Circle of Magic realm, I always liked the books about Briar.  I think this is because I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, so I've always been strongly interested in disease pathology/epidemics and so on =)  It particularly acts up when it comes to plagues and viruses that do terrible things to you.

I actually got to go to one of her book signings when I was in 7th grade or so... I was so ridiculously excited.  I was also totally obsessed with the Broken Sky series, Redwall, Animorphs, The Wizard of Oz, and X-Men.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 03:03:29 am »

OOH! Re-examination of tastes! I love these!

1. The thousand orcs. Or that entire series. It's new-ish (not his newest, or even second-newest series out) but I love it so much.

2. Read Magician. I didn't put it as my favourite book, because, well... it's the best book in the whole god damn world and anybody who doesn't absolutely abhore all fantasy will have it as their favourite book, that is how much it Dicks all over the competition. Also I really liked Servant of the empire, and the rest of that series, too. So you might want to look into them. After reading magician.

3. Legend was his first, I'd suggest reading that. It'll ruin the chronological-ness, but, It really pulls you into his writing. Plus the rest more or less have at least two pages of gratuitous sex. Which can be problematic to some more impressionable readers.

4. Agreement, though not on the same scale. I read 'Da Vinci Code', just to catch up on my whole classic literature montage, but, Angels and demons, Digital fortress... Nah... I really only put it up there because it was sitting on my bookshelf at the time I was looking.

5. Making Money. Followed by Night Watch. Followed by Thud. Or Jingo. Can't remember feet of clay very well, so I'll need to read it again, if I ever get a hold of it.

6. Magic Stones. Far ahead of all other competition for me. Heh. Just... The ending. So Damn Awesome. But after that, surprisingly, would have to come trickster's choice and trickster's queen.

... Bloodhound Sucks. So much worse than Terrier. And it wasn't that great of her books, either.

This is all very fun... I'm going to bug you now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8