Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Question of the Week thread: Out of ideas  (Read 11276 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Question of the Week thread: Out of ideas
« on: March 05, 2010, 12:17:43 pm »

I thought I'd make a QotW to help me and others get to know the Bay12ers around here.
Feel free not to answer if you don't want to, the questions will be varied so I understand if you might be uncomfortable with some of them.
I'll update the thread every Friday.

This week's question:
What to you do for a living? If you don't have a job, (still in school) what to you want to do?

I want to go into game programming/design, I hear it can be lucrative.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:08:15 pm by Taco Dan »
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question of the Week thread
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:32:53 pm »

Sure, why not.  This sounds like a nice idea.

I'm currently training to become a mathematician, as everyone here probably knows >_>  I'm pretty sure it will work out, but if it doesn't I'll probably go into writing.  Money's important, but I'd go crazy if I had a normal job--and my two favorite things are words and numbers, so I think the career choices generally make sense.

The other thing is that the mathematics department at my university is the most welcoming place I've ever found, so I'm also doing this for the improved social atmosphere.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:37:32 pm »

I wanted to be an engineer, but then i realized if i didn't get motivated and work hard in school, i just wouldn't have the marks.

And god knows i'm not getting motivated, so i have no idea what ill do.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:40:58 pm »

I also want to be an engineer. I'm currently in my first work term at college, but I start school again soon.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:41:21 pm »

Unfortunately, thanks to the economy and how competitive my field is; I have an A.S. Degree in Graphic Design, and can't find a job that lets me apply it and gain experience for better jobs. So, unfortunately, I'm working at a Deli.

Originally I wanted to do some game development or at least design for games, but I realized I lack some of the necessary skills to make it official (trig and such). It seems I overlooked the amounts of programming involved along with designing games. At least I got Graphic Design under my belt as a backup plan.

If anything, I think what I really wanted to be was an inventor of sorts. Nowadays, considering just how f***ed up the processes and economy is and gets, I'm sticking to freelancing whenever I can. No office politics or bureaucracy to get in the way. Finding the work is the next challenge.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:43:36 pm by Itnetlolor »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 02:50:22 pm »

I have a crappy temp job right now, that I'm using to save up to go to Palestine this summer. Well it's not actually a crappy job, I get paid a ridiculously high amount of money for what I do (a fifth grader could do it) but it has no status and I'm not getting any useful experience or skills.

Oh well. Once I'm on a plane to Tel Aviv, it'll be worth it.

I'm also picking up other work whenever I can, since this job is only 20 hours a week.

Eventually I'll go back to grad school to get my doctorate in experimental psychology and go into some branch of that field.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:57:24 pm »

Hmm... currently at a petrolium engineering university, at the insistance of my dad, and trying to transfer out to the university of oregon.

I'm waiting for an acceptence right now, then I'm going into computer science, and go from there into video game programming as a profession.

That makes me something of an oddity here, since there is no game design studios in the country that I'm aware of. Perfect excuse to get away from here, but I digress.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 03:06:09 pm »

ENGINEER.
I MAKE SURE YOUR GEEK TOYS WORK.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 03:45:46 pm »

I'm currently at a technical university studying Chemical Engineering. What I'll next I'm not quite sure yet, but it'll probably be something with chemical plants, catalysis or material sciences. Besides that, I've got a parttime job at a local home implements store and I'm also active in our study ascociation. I help organising some activities with a small group and with another group, we're in the process of setting up a little symposium at our university, comming somewhere in februari 2011.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 03:52:52 pm »

From what I hear, the petroleum industry need more engineers of all kinds. The pay is good, or so I hear.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 04:23:48 pm »

I'm in school.
I hopefully want to work on AI, and I guess I have many of the skills and talents needed for marketing stuff (the actual art that is, 3d animation and such, as well as psychology and how to use peoples brains against them).
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 05:35:05 pm »

I study English Literature (I'm a bullshit artist in training).

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 06:48:31 pm »

Software programmer for some company. A Greek guy I know through my family owns his own company and wrote me a letter that I can just give him when I've got my degree and he will hire me.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 07:19:11 pm »

From what I hear, the petroleum industry need more engineers of all kinds. The pay is good, or so I hear.

Well, there are companies from all over the range of chemical subjects in need of engineers, so my first priority is getting into something I like and then look for what pays the best.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 07:29:38 pm »

Move to Norway, they'll give you more money than you can shake a stick at...I think (?)

Anyhoo, to contribute to this thread:
I'm still in school, just general education for the moment, and I'm just in the first of three years.
Though I'm taking this education, it's mostly for the novelty. If  I don't I won't get into universities and the like, even though I have no use for most of the subjects here, and learn mostly nothing new. Only subject  I think I really need is math.

I'm trying to train myself up to be a concept artist, for games, movies, and other things. Probably an illustrator for various other things too. I'm doing pretty good for the moment, although I don't get much practice due to general mental fatigue....yeah, insomnia and depression is a bitch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8