Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Question of the Week thread: Out of ideas  (Read 11275 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question of the Week thread: Now with twice the question.
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2010, 10:17:18 pm »

Least favorite book? Twilight saga. Never read the books, I hate them on principle. If you're gonna jump on the vampire bandwagon, do it right, dammit. If you're gonna make something that is emo, gay (or at least bisexual), and that sparkles in the sunlight, call it something else. For more reasons to hate the book, see any of the various Twilight drinking games. This one's my personal favorite, spoilered just because.

The Great Gatsby takes an honorable mention for worst book. I actually enjoyed the book until my English teacher ruined it with symbolism. White dress? Symbolism. Nice car? symbolism. Clock? symbolism. Ivy? Symbolism. Tuxedo? Symbolism. Party? Symbolism. Billboard? Symbolism. etc. etc. ad infinum. I mean, come on people, sometimes a clock is just a fricken clock, y'know?

worst game? I'd have to go with just about any MMO. I don't mind dealing with people, but when you give them the anonymity of the internet and the ability to do mean angry things to you, I generally tend to avoid it. There are a few gems out there that are excluded from this for me, but not many.

And as for worst movies....  Twilight movies for the same reason as the books.

Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2010, 10:33:54 pm »

Favorite movie: Dark Knight, unless Dr. Horrible counts as a movie.

Favorite book: ...Any core Dragonlance book, I guess? I prefer the recent ones, incuding the Dark Disciple series (Amber and [word]) and Lost Chronicles (following the standard Dragons of [words]). I can't pick just one.

Favorite game: Depends on several things. My favorite multiplayer game would have to be Team Fortress 2. My favorite portable game would have to be Pokemon Soul [of] Silver, as it is a remake of my favorite Pokemon game and it has the most content of any Pokemon game, which have always been a favorite of mine, despite anything anybody says about ages and things. I also like the Monster Rancher games, excluding a couple. Favorite game currently in development would be Dwarf Fortress.

Least favorite movie: Twilight.

Least favorite book: Out of books I've read: Scarlet Letter? Too much extraneous rambling in it. Out of all books: Twilight. I think it's safe to assume that because the movie with the plot of the book is horrendous, the book itself is. And I've heard the author's writing is terrible. And I've heard the book itself is terrible, but that can be assumed when the plot and writing are both terrible.

Least favorite game: Most disappointing would be Spore. I bought into the hype too much. =/
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2010, 12:46:02 am »

I've had this theory that like me,
 a decent demographic of B12 forum goers migrated here
 from XSpore or GamingSteve.

Any takers?
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2010, 01:04:33 am »

Yoink. XSpore.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2010, 08:39:06 am »

What's going on here? I come back after a week and now other people are asking questions?

Anyway, my question for you this week is...
What game to you think you've spent the most total time playing?
I would have to say Oblivion for the Xbox 360, my current save has me at about 60 - 65 hours, and that's not counting alternate characters.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2010, 12:13:22 pm »

What's going on here? I come back after a week and now other people are asking questions?

Yes, your idea is growing and spreading.  We are Becoming a Close-Knit Community :3

Anyway, my question for you this week is...

Single runthrough: FFXII (was playing it with ex-friend, finished around when we stopped being friends).  Terrible, terrible game that took way too long to complete.

Other high-time games were FFVIII (played through it something like 5-6 times), FFIX (similar to FFVIII, but somewhat less), and ... Zoombinis.  I have no idea why I spent so much time playing Zoombinis, but there you have it.  Actually went back during high school to beat the thing when I had enough logic to figure it out.  Bah, what a pain.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2010, 02:58:41 pm »

Game I spent the most time playing? Probably... Either Doom or Morrowind, I can't decide which I've played more.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2010, 05:17:34 pm »

Serious playing time would be Team Fortress 2. I have something like 240 hours logged in Steam. I remember I got over 300 hours in my original playthrough of Pokemon Ruby, but a lot of that was probably running around hatching eggs while watching TV. If we went by which series instead of individual games we've spent the most time playing, it would be Pokemon, hands down. I've definitely gotten over 1000 hours of cumulative playtime in those.

We are Becoming a Close-Knit Community :3
Bah humbug.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:38:53 pm by Zai »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2010, 05:54:05 pm »

That's an easy question to answer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other games I played a ton include Morrowind, GTA: SA, and Arcanum.
Hey!
I think I see a pattern...
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2010, 06:08:50 pm »

Book? I dunno, I don't read much. I suppose Dune was my favorite.

Game? Fat chance on that one. I have no absolute favorite, but if I must choose, I would have to say...

Spoiler: Categorically (click to show/hide)

All-time favorite- Starcon II: The Ur-Quan Masters
Least Favorite: The Flintstones (Master System). I livestreamed it before; you know what I'm talking about.

Movies?
Good: Tough one, but I have to say, The Blues Brothers is ranked among my list.
Bad: Any really badly done spoof movie (IE- ___ Movie); Mafia being among one of the few things I regret ever seeing; add a salty lemon to the wound, it was a first date movie OF MY CHOICE!! Fortunately, it was a group date thing, and I can mark that off as a mulligan. The real shame? My date loved the movie and laughed at every part. I was bored, attempted to MST3k it, and I was shushed. [sarcasm]Everything worked out ;D[/sarcasm].
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:31:48 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2010, 06:12:45 pm »

Most total time would probably be either World of Warcraft or Warcraft 3.
Shoes...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2010, 12:41:25 am »

Definitely WC3: Frozen Throne. I used to play on Battle Net all the time with custom maps before I moved to a different computer and lost my cdkey.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2010, 01:05:15 am »

Time spent on a game?

RPG: Any recent Final Fantasy game; namely either FFX or FFXII. Of course, both beaten.

But I think the only games I truly spent the most time (actively, and set to auto) would have to be Gran Turismo 3 and 4. I can say, it has helped in improving my driving skills taking in the feel of the car, the physics behind it, coordination, and maximizing efficiency when driving and even overtaking without going faster or slower than the traffic, and remaining legal with the maneuver. Hell, knowing the physics and learning some things from the games even helped me minimize damage on my car and the guard rail that it bounced off of during an accident one time (Really wet road out of nowhere and hydro-planed out of control; recovered in a short time and etc. at the angle I went across at, it's a miracle I am still alive today since things went right with my reactions and know-how to avoid. The car even fared rather well despite the impact; even to the point of avoiding a citation/ticket thanks to the college being right there nearby. I suppose having suffered enough accidents in the game got me more angry than traumatized when it happened.).

Anyway those endurance races, and 4's 12 and 24-hour races and such. And without cheating, mind you, I collected well over 300+ cars total in that game with S-class licenses with a silver minimum (cheating for gold to get the rare cars like the Model-T in 4). Oh, and we can't forget the bastard of a course Nürburgring (10 frikking minutes to go around 1 lap in an A-class car, 9 minutes if you're lucky in an S-class car, and you have decent A-Spec skill.).

Want an idea of just how difficult and hellish this course is, here's a map. More twisted than a psychopath's mind:

Spoiler: Google Maps render (click to show/hide)

Mind you, ALL the additional twists and such are included when playing.

:blinks: Woah... Let's trim that down a tad with some spoiler tags.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:16:18 am by Itnetlolor »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Question of the Week thread: Game time
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2010, 12:28:06 am »

How can you dislike something before you read it? Isn't that judging the book by the cover, generally something frowned upon?

---
Dragonball Z: Chronicles.

Roughly, 3650hrs.

DnD, 10 years.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Question of the Week thread: Game time
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2010, 05:56:59 pm »

Legend of Mana. It got to the point where I recently discovered that I'm able to navigate the mazelike area through sheer... phantom memory? I don't remember going through it, but I have a feeling where to go next.

Its a little odd.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8