Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods - Source OOC Thread  (Read 6852 times)

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods - Source
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 10:29:19 pm »

We don't need to fix what ain't broke.
That reminds me of a comic I read awhile back... lets see if I can find it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doesn't fit the situation exactly but could describe it. This may be a way to improve the gameplay.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 10:36:24 pm »

I don't see how.

We don't need a place to store the posts, the forum does that.

We don't need the ease of image uploading GWave has, not enough pictures to justify it.

I would mention we have IRC for real-time chat, but it's up to individual player how they're going to RP together.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:43:54 pm by Emperor_Jonathan »

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »

I don't see how.

by making it more streamline and easier for everyone to see the whole, instead of having to look through each post and potentially missing one where wave here actually notifies you.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 12:04:58 am »

OK its time to release my race eh?

Deity: Torias
Civ Name: Halvir
Civ symbol:
Army Symbol

Spoiler: deity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Race and Civ (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: magic (click to show/hide)

I use no hero this time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:34:57 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 01:36:54 am »

I don't see how.

by making it more streamline and easier for everyone to see the whole, instead of having to look through each post and potentially missing one where wave here actually notifies you.

It cannot possibly be that hard.

Not to mention that a big drawcard for new players (and possibly new ideas from said players) is reading the BotG games. That's how I started. Also when we're finished are we going to save it for future reading, if so how? Are we going to create a needless thread that has all the turns copy-pasted? People having Wave accounts will also have to be dealt with (probably not that much of a problem). Basically, Wave is unnecessary. Lets not fix what isn't broken.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 01:56:48 am »

I don't see how.

Not to mention that a big drawcard for new players (and possibly new ideas from said players) is reading the BotG games. That's how I started. Also when we're finished are we going to save it for future reading, if so how? Are we going to create a needless thread that has all the turns copy-pasted? People having Wave accounts will also have to be dealt with (probably not that much of a problem). Basically, Wave is unnecessary. Lets not fix what isn't broken.

Have you even read what Wave does? Basically compare it to a wiki article that only a select few are allowed access to. All edits to said article are saved to it. The document itself is an xml document. If you wished to copy and past everything it would be relatively simple.

Also Heph nice race, very unique and imaginative.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 02:06:33 am »

-

Lets not fix what is not broken.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:18:38 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 02:18:10 am »

I don't see how.

Have you even read what Wave does? Basically compare it to a wiki article that only a select few are allowed access to. All edits to said article are saved to it. The document itself is an xml document. If you wished to copy and past everything it would be relatively simple.

And where do we store it? Where would we leave it so people have easy access to read it? Any major improvements over the forum?

Again, lets not fix what ain't broke.

The ability to modify a wave at any location lets users create collaborative documents, edited in a manner akin to wikis. Waves can easily link to other waves. It is in many respects a more advanced forum.[6] A wave can be read and known to exist by only one person, or by two or more. It can also be public, available for reading and writing to everyone on Wave.

The history of each wave is stored within it. Collaborators may use a playback feature in Google Wave to observe the order in which a wave was edited, blips that were added, and who was responsible for what in the wave.[3][4] The history may also be searched by a user to view and/or modify specific changes, such as specific kinds of changes or messages from a single user.[2]

I'm not trying to fix something that's broke, just improve it.

The above shows some of its features which you are arguing against... features that it seems you haven't even read up on since you keep bringing up arguments that are solved by them.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 03:57:25 am »

I agree with EJ. Google wave might be a 'more advanced forum', but do we need a more advanced forum? I think we will end up doing exactly what we do here - posting our turns, and not much more. What is the advantage of having more options when you don't use them?

Is there any option on google wave that would be actually used and is not on the forum? Editing anywhere in a wave? We can edit posts already. Linking to other waves? What's wrong with URL tags? I agree, the playback and search functions would be an improvement, but I don't think it's worth changing from the forum to wave, with all the problems that would bring. (Getting an invite to everyone, getting used to the interface, yet another site that needs checking every day, copying it later).

Not to mention the point EJ has made before, interesting readers will either need a google wave account (which still is invite only) or have to wait untill the whole story is finished before we copy it to the forum. And they certainly will lose interest when they realize the thread is 50+ pages worth of huge posts already. If we keep it on the forum, spectators can simply check what's new every day. And I'm quite sure there are spectators, or there will be soon, as that is the reason I came here in the first place - because there was an interesting forum thread going on and I started reading.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 12:41:43 pm »

Ok, I got another idea: what abaut this BotG continue as normal, but those that want to play a separate, Wave-based BotG starting maybe a few weeks from now? Anyone who is intrested PM me. There is nothing stopping you from being in both games even, other than the time it takes.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 02:30:57 pm »

Ok, I got another idea: what abaut this BotG continue as normal, but those that want to play a separate, Wave-based BotG starting maybe a few weeks from now? Anyone who is intrested PM me. There is nothing stopping you from being in both games even, other than the time it takes.

Yep my debate has been lost, was worth a shot though.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 04:31:07 pm »

So many posts... so many questions. Sorry, my internet was broken this weekend.

First, you don't need to describe everything in your first post. Don't forget to keep some for the actual game. The least you can describe is the appearance of your race, your god, and their relationship with one another. You can add a bit of cultural description if you want to.

For your starting city, you start with a size of 1.

Seeing some people around who used to drop the game as soon as it started (won't name anyone, they'll know I'm talking about them), I'd like to restate : DON'T JOIN IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME. People quitting has killed previous BotGs.

Nhiphanter

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 02:37:35 am »

Joining in as an adventurer.
Some description:

Hrafn. To some this may be enough. To those who dont know him, he is a semiex storm giant, champion of Ukko, the greatest of the storm giants.
He died in the last botg Ukko participated in.
Due to some interesting events, Hrafn is now scratching and crawling his way back to the books of the living, well, atleast semi-living. He is now something you might call "undead". This unfortunate state of affairs has given him a very cold demeanor.

Some physical information: Hrafn is some 14 meters tall, muscular big bastard of a man. Currently his most striking feature is easily the former pitch black beard and hair, now whiter than snow. His formerly normal eyes are nowadays only two icy stars, glowing and never blinking, giving him a rather uncomfortable stare. His skin has also changed from its healthy tone to glaringly pale.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:15:24 am by Nhiphanter »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 06:21:39 am »

That sounds more like a megabeast. :o
I look forward to reading this, a lot. That giant should be able to take on armies single handedly... ;D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 11:53:52 am »

Deity: Traemim Thiagryn, aka "The Founder", aka "Madman Trae"
Civ Name: The Expletus Artificer Guilds
Civ symbol: A