Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Next Elder Scrolls  (Read 8358 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Next Elder Scrolls
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 03:24:40 am »

This thread has been here for a long time. It was just bumped because of new information.

The new information being that the new game has been officially announced. Now we can all speculate even -more- on what it will be like.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 04:07:45 am »

Since everyone is randomly speculating and turning up possibilities with approximately zero proof backing them up, I'll do that too: I'd say the trailer hints at a single-player game simply because it mentions something along "Only one can stop them, and he is the Dragonborn". So unless Bethesda is really going to be as stupid as untold other MMO-making companies and go all "Each and every one of the players in our multiplayer world is actually the one and only Chosen One that will save the world", it probably will be single-player. [/speculation]
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 04:39:43 am »

If they did an MMO, it could be cool, but only if they actually do something similar to Oblivion, NO third person perspective, and it better not be WoW-like.
In other words, it would have to completely and utterly revolutionize MMOs.  Not likely.

On the other hand, judging by that trailer, it looks to be single player, so, I am sooooooooo looking forward to it.  Unless they actually say it's going to be an MMO, in which case...waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 04:41:57 am »

Well if we're going to speculate, It's modern Bethesda.  It'll have extremely bland, derivative gameplay and an extremely bland, derivative story, and an extremely bland, derivative world, and also some really stupid attempts at humor that just fall flat.

Did anyone else find that trailer to be... really really bad?  I mean, I hate Oblivion and I still like it's trailer more than I liked that one.

On the other hand, judging by that trailer, it looks to be single player, so, I am sooooooooo looking forward to it.

For the love of all that is good in this world... why?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:44:27 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 04:59:59 am »

I don't care in the slightest about the trailer, it has nothing, whatsoever, to do with the game (Oh god I hope).  I'm just looking forward to it because if it's at least as good as Oblivion was (Yeah yeah, Oblivion was terrible compared to Morowind, yadda yadda.  I enjoyed it a hell of a lot) then I will love it.  Maybe I'm being too faithful to Bethesda, to not go backwards in quality, but I dunno, I liked Fallout 3, and New Vegas was good (Bugs, etcetera, whatever), if only it were actually new and not just more of an expandalone.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 05:09:50 am »

I don't care in the slightest about the trailer, it has nothing, whatsoever, to do with the game (Oh god I hope).  I'm just looking forward to it because if it's at least as good as Oblivion was (Yeah yeah, Oblivion was terrible compared to Morowind, yadda yadda.  I enjoyed it a hell of a lot) then I will love it.  Maybe I'm being too faithful to Bethesda, to not go backwards in quality, but I dunno, I liked Fallout 3, and New Vegas was good (Bugs, etcetera, whatever), if only it were actually new and not just more of an expandalone.

New Vegas was made by Obsidian, a company made up in large part of people from the developer of the original two Fallout games, not Bethesda.

Oblivion is terrible compared to most things.  Seriously.  What is good about it?  You wander around an empty lifeless world killing random mobs and collecting plants.  Sure you can find some quests that add context to your killing things, but all you're ever really doing is killing things, or waiting to kill things while an NPC drones some inane proclamations about your impending doom before they attack your fully Daedric armored hide with a tooth pick and promptly die in two hits.  Or waiting because the game decided to take control away from you while it tries to insta kill some NPC.  There's basically one truly good thing in the entire game.  Rain of flaming dogs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:11:33 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 05:28:43 am »

Oh, well I guess I don't pay too much attention.  I figured, Fallout: New Vegas, almost just like Fallout 3, must be Bethesda.

Oblivion was quite fun, in my opinion, I have difficulty explaining why I found it as fun as it was, but it was largely, I think, because of the environment, the graphics are crappy today, yes, but something about the world being so huge and full of detail made just wandering about a lot of fun.  Mostly I considered it like a sandbox, I know there's more to why I liked it that I can't think of, but I can't think of it.  Either way, I have difficulty understanding how the world was lifeless, yeah the acting was iffy and there was too much repetition, but it was huge and...I dunno, someone else would be better at describing what made it fun than I, but you're just exaggerating.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 05:46:06 am »

I may be exaggerating a bit, but that's nothing compared to the people who say it's a great game.   Pete Hines himself specifically stated in an interview several months after the game came out that NO ONE disliked it.  But new Beth commonly tell outright lies and fabricate evidence to support them it seems.  Like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 08:24:25 am »

I think Obsidian was somewhat playable when heavily modded. But yeah. I'm not expecting anything.

Oh god how many years has it been now since a real RPG came out? Really. How many?
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 08:33:48 am »

Din's curse was less then a year ago and Torchlight 2 is also pretty recent.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:36:00 am by Virex »

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2010, 10:10:42 am »

It uses the Gamebryo engine...so yeah.  Yeah.  Also, it 'aint an MMO.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 10:12:46 am »

It's still using Gamebryo, I'm afraid. Source.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 01:00:06 pm »

So yes, there's been a new topic created for those still watching this topic.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 05:22:32 pm »

I think Oblivion was a good improvement over Morrowind gameplay wise, but it was flawed in content. Mainly because of the exessive use of leveled list. I f they would just tweak a few things they might actually produce a very nice game.

But seeing were the game market is going I really doubt it.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 08:45:04 am »

I think Oblivion was a good improvement over Morrowind gameplay wise, but it was flawed in content. Mainly because of the exessive use of leveled list. I f they would just tweak a few things they might actually produce a very nice game.

But seeing were the game market is going I really doubt it.

I have to disagree the animations were better, but still bad.  The combat was more actiony but not necessarily better unless you consider more actiony to be better.  Those leveled lists were kind of a huge part of gameplay too considering that one of the first things anyone suggests for enjoying the game is to download a mod that fixes the level scaling.  There were less weapon types and the skills were non-sensically combined.  Despite the supposed streamlining of the character system the level up process had just been made completely broken.  The RPG style persuasion skill was replaced with a completely nonsensical and crappy minigame.  The lockpick skill got a really annoying lockpicking minigame.  They removed flight spells and flying creatures completely, apparently because of the Xbox 360's hardware limitations combined with their apparent inability or simply lack of sufficient giving a damn to code their game decently caused them to make all the cities be inside their own cells which brought on a bunch of other problems.  Of course the fact that this meant that they no longer had to take 3 dimensional movement into account when designing the world probably wasn't a negative for them as well.  The interface was a clunky and consolized.  Etc... etc... etc...

I almost wonder if Bethesda didn't blow all the work they supposedly put into RAI on making some sort of subliminal mind control software that is undetectable except in it's ability to cause most people to inexplicably like this game

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6