Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Next Elder Scrolls  (Read 8336 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Next Elder Scrolls
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2010, 08:57:37 am »

I almost wonder if Bethesda didn't blow all the work they supposedly put into RAI on making some sort of subliminal mind control software that is undetectable except in it's ability to cause most people to inexplicably like this game

You might be right. I liked it too. Though only in a heavily modded version, with mods that mostly fix the interface (Damnit why is the vanilla map SOOOO TIIIINY, dammit why cant I delete all those crappy spells I've had for ages, etc...) and then some mods for new features (weapons, clothes, monsters, spells, companions!...)

My only complaint after having heavily modded it is that the amount of work to actually get it in a playable form took practically more time and energy than actually playing through all the game and the content. So I hope ES-V comes out with atleast a good part of these problems fixed, so that I have less mod-bashing to do.

Really, most of the problems that Ioric mentions have been addressed by mods in ways I bet Bethesda would have had a hard time doing better even if they were actually trying. Flying? Check. Flying creatures? Check. Flying MOUNTABLE creatures? Doublecheck. Open-world cities? More content? Fixed levelling system? Checkcheckcheck.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:01:21 am by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2010, 09:20:10 am »

It's not a good game because you can change everything about it if it's only good after you change everything about it.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2010, 11:28:04 am »

Why are you people posting in this thread? Everyone else has settled on the other one.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 03:09:26 pm »

I'm argumentative?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 12:06:42 pm »

Yeah, thread necromancy, as the other one is locked.

There are some new informations about the MMO, and I'm still laughing out loud as they are so...underwhelming. I'll let you judge by yourselves (warning: the author of these articles is so fanboyish and optimistic that it is sad):

Making an MMO Feel Like Elder Scrolls

Finesse, Synergy, and You: How It All Fits Together in Elder Scrolls Online

ESO’s PvP: “Massive and Epic!!”

Your Character Development

ESO Unveiled!

There are more links on Bethesda blog.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 12:31:35 pm »

Someone really should bring in something different to the MMO genre.
All at this point are grind fest in own way.
Any idea is it going to be again for consoles too?
Anything good has to come in end someday :(

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 12:37:48 pm »

Someone really should bring in something different to the MMO genre.
All at this point are grind fest in own way.
Any idea is it going to be again for consoles too?
Anything good has to come in end someday :(
Planetside 2 is a pretty good MMO. But that depend's on how you look at it. When people say MMO there's usually an implied "RPG" behind it, where PS2 is a MMOFPS.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 12:56:52 pm »

I hope I'm wrong with this, but I'm getting the feeling that Bethesda is going the way of Bioware with this one. Generic MMO flavors don't feel like they'd mix well with TES series. Just glancing through the articles and the screens they have, it looks like the only thing that it'll have in common with TES is the setting. The feel and style of the series just isn't there. If they're trying their darndest to make it look like every other MMO on the market, I highly doubt they're going to be revolutionizing the industry.

Hasn't anyone learned anything from the multitude of dead and dying MMOs on the market?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »

I could see the popularity of a Morrowind-style MMO. Here's how I'd do it:

Players start out as chumps just off a boat / waking up in bed / whatever. The local news is there's a mental plague going around where everyone thinks he's some kind of messiah ready to save the world! The authorities watch with increasing concern.

Players run around initially doing shitty errands like in any ES or MMO. Maybe trying to earn enough dungeon cred to join one of the noble houses or guilds as an Earnest Newbie.

Once you get enough of the little dungeons scattered around, which have enemies that seem to come back every once in a while. WTF is up with these respawning bandits and rats? Also sometimes you find a cave with friendly bandits who say they're with your noble house and sometimes you get a quest to support them in an assault against some other thing.

Then you get up in the ranks of a noble house enough to be allowed to enter the main fortress. Up until now it's been lame little three-room training halls and storage warehouses, but now you wander past deathtraps and statuary as you make your way into your new digs in the fort. Occasionally folks from outside will try to break in at a secret entrance or through the sewers.

Here's what's really going on:

Every noble house is trying to gather monsters, foreign bandits, etc. to make a play against other noble houses and maybe bring forth a new Emperor. But they can't just have these scrubs wandering the streets. So they house them in local caves and dungeons until the time is ripe to use them against some other noble house.

Also guilds and noble houses get to build big complexes using modular parts, including traps and locks and hired guards and merchants and stuff. But the larger the complex, the more secret entrances it has to have. Each secret entrance must be a certain distance from other entrances and it must connect with all other entrances in some way, and it must be closer to a nice room (vault, merchant, trainer, workshop, great hall) than to another entrance. This allows people to sneak in and fight you, and you can't just have all your secret entrances leading to a trapped hall of death and then a blank dead end.

It also costs a lot of resources to build, so the guild wants to get a lot of lumber, quarried stone, metal, bonemold, ebony, etc. They get that by controlling resource sites in the countryside, villages, dungeons, etc. To support the people working you need food, tools, clothes, and guards. So you need workshops to make goods or else buy them from whoever you can in town.

Lowbie players will gather resources, defend resource sites, craft goods, transport resources and goods (caravans), etc. as their skills and inclinations suggest.

Higher-ranked players in their organizations will play more of a strategic game, directing their forces and working toward some specific goal. Maybe at the bottom of one dungeon there's an imprisoned monster that you can recruit to help fight. But to get it you need to occupy the dungeon, reach its lair, and have the Seven Seals of Samanda or whatever.

There's also an external threat, which tends to attack the more powerful organizations' things more than the weak ones. This means if your org is getting really powerful your difficulty ramps up and if you lose a step you'll get busted down a few pegs. All procedurally, not much input from the admins.

Inspiration from Planetside and Natural Selection, pretty much.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 02:42:28 pm »

TES 7 is the Windows 8 of TES games. How so?

So two or three years ago, a bunch of marketing guys got together and said, "You know what's popular right now? WoW/Tablets". We make a thing which is superficially similar to that! Let's make the next version just like that!"

Then the engineers and designers almost said "That's pretty much the opposite of our design philosophy and even if it wasn't it's still a terrible idea and there are major flaws with your design idea regardless." But then they realized that the economy was dead.

So the engineers got to work and sooner or later management or marketing or someone realized that the whole project was the opposite of their design philosophy and was a terrible idea and had huge flaws regardless. But by then it was too late even to start from scratch.

They screamed "uh, quick! Make it more like WoW/Mac! Remove features! But it didn't work.

Sooner or later, both of these companies are going to excrete the finished product onto store shelves and, if there's any economic justice in this world, collapse. Then the engineers will go on to work at other better companies or start third-party projects and finally make a good Open-ended-first-person-RPG/windows-environment-for-linux.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:41:29 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »

HUR DUR. NO GUMEPAY FOTAGE? LISTNING TO "WORDS"? THTS STOOPID.

Fixed that for you.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 12:01:11 am »

HUR DUR. NO GUMEPAY FOTAGE? LISTNING TO "WORDS"? THTS STOOPID.

Fixed that for you.

Ah, I was in a public place at the time. Thank you for jumping to that assumption. Still, video is worth more than words when assessing how the game will feel when playing it.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6