Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Next Elder Scrolls  (Read 8338 times)

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Next Elder Scrolls
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:21:14 pm »

I stumbled across this article when idly browsing the internet:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97607-Court-Documents-Show-Secret-Elder-Scrolls-MMOG-Underway
Apparently the next Elder Scrolls is likely an mmo. Words cannot adequately express my displeasure. But since there was no topic discussing it, I thought some of you might be interested in it. Personally I hope it's just a rumor, but unfortunately these sorts of thing rarely turn out to be.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Next Elder Scrolls
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:14:12 am »

Ah dangit. Not a momorporgerr. There goes my last shred of respect for professional game design.

I was going to say this should go in my old thread, but it's fair enough to say this is a different matter.
That said, my comments there remain the same here, so I will copy them to save my precious time.

We know, if only tenuously, that the fifth game is coming out sometime in 2010, possibly early 2011. Meaningless though it may be, it is still fun to imagine what the game will/should be like. I was doing just that, and I think I've come up with something that is better than what they will most likely do. The only hint of what they are doing at Bethesda is that they've trademarked "skyrim"- though TES V: SKYRIM just doesn't seem as foreboding and, frankly, awesome, as Oblivion. It sounds generic, like it'll have a big Nordic guy and reviews like "3.5 Stars!" on the front cover, and blurbs on the back along the lines of "Fight Big Enemies!" "Cast Powerful Spells!" "Collect Lots of Gold!" and "Go on Over 23 Quests!".
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:59:50 am »

next Elder Scrolls is likely an mmo

I feel slightly skeptical of Bethesda's ability to pull that off. The majority of games they've ever made all have basically the same mechanics...and those mechanics will not work for an MMO.

On the bright side, if they do pull it off...odds are good the system they build will be non-standard amongst MMOs. Possibly something along the line of Ultima Online's system.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:20:08 am »

Not a mmo....

and hopefully it wont be all grind. They should focus on making single player games that has worked all these years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 02:22:54 am »

Honestly I realise MMOs basically are MADE of money now... but PLEASE very few games, if ever, should have their own MMORPG.

Please Bethesda can you just make a little LESS money?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 02:23:21 am »

If they do make it an MMO, I hope they keep their typical style of relying on how good the player is as much if not more than how good the character is.
!!&!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 02:23:53 am »

If they do make it an MMO, I hope they keep their typical style of relying on how good the player is as much if not more than how good the character is.

That goes against the MMO code of ethics.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:34:31 am »

If this is true... *Shudders*. Okay, need to keep thinking this is a rumor and it's not going to happen not going to happen not going to happen not going to happen not going to happen ;-;

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:53:10 am »

MMO's aren't really made of money, there's just a small percentage of them that are particularly successful. And the elder scrolls, to top it all off, is a fucking first person shooter. But hell, even then, it could work, if it were in the style of morrowind. But I cannot see that being done. It's going to be, at best, Oblivion but packed full of more WoW style casual bullshit.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 05:27:07 am »

I really don't mind "WoW style casual bullshit". It's what gives a game more popularity, which gives a game more players, which gives a game more potential PvP folder. Which gives me a huge grin.

Even with that said, I, too, am doubtful about Bethesda pulling off a good MMO. I love Oblivion despite all its flaws, but... eh. We need more information.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 06:29:30 am »

Bethesda might actually do ok if they actually do something to differentiate themselves from WoW.  The fact of the matter is, WoW is WoW.  People who like WoW are going to play WoW, not some clone of WoW that costs the same amount but isn't quite as good.  Well, most people anyway.

Bethesda's current gimmick is ruining everything that was great about an existing series, making it both extremely casual and extremely stupid, and then hyping that as innovation.  I'm not sure how long they can keep that up.  My hope is that they're really at least nearly as stupid as they let on and will somehow manage to put themselves out of business, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

varsashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 08:07:21 am »

77.35% (<- made up statistic) of Elder Scrolls' PC players play modded versions of the games. All of those people who only play Morrowind and Oblivion now would love the chance to mess around with modding on the next ES engine, but if this rumor is true, I know that I won't be playing the new game.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 08:27:16 am »

There will be very few things that will ever be able to top Morrowind IMO. However, I do wish they make the MMO better than they made Oblivion. It was still fun, but it came nowhere close to Morrowind. I don't think it helps that they raised a tough bar to reach with Morrowind, and most players will expect them to meet or even surpass that bar, therefore making all of their other games seem rather poor.

With that said, if they could manage to find a way to pull off the MMO, that would be great. But they most likely won't.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 09:31:39 am »

It's not going to be an MMO.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Projectmayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 11:30:37 am »

If Bethesda made it an mmo it would be the death of The Elder Scrolls...hopefully anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6