Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816183 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13005 on: January 21, 2013, 05:10:31 am »

For tugs generally I go with at least 75% of tonnage being engines, stick on a tractor beam and fill up the rest of the space with fuel, allowing for enough engineering space to keep a reasonable maintainance life. If we have reached mid tech armour then put 4-5 layers of armour on to help operate in nebulas as well.

If my fuel situation allows it I may give the tugs higher power engines, usually x1.5 power, letting them handle larger tows at a reasonable pace.

Commercial engined tugs are also designed, for moving things like mining platforms around where speed is not really an issue.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:14:13 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: January 21, 2013, 06:24:02 am »

Well, I intended on making some orbital habitat platforms and having tugs move them around, so I assume I should use commercial tugs on that?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: January 21, 2013, 06:35:47 am »

Except if you want to enslave your whole population in maintenance part factories, it seems like a good idea.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: January 21, 2013, 06:36:17 am »

I'm afraid I don't understand.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: January 21, 2013, 06:43:35 am »

because a tug that can move orbital habitats is going to be huge. if you make it military, no quantity of engineering spaces is going to avoid it breaking all the time. you will need a steady supply of maintenance parts for it.

I think that is what he meant.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13010 on: January 21, 2013, 09:39:27 am »

Eh, they are not that hard to give reasonable maintainance times to.

Code: [Select]
Illustrious class Tug    30,000 tons     553 Crew     4759.9 BP      TCS 600  TH 7200  EM 0
12000 km/s     Armour 3-86     Shields 0-0     Sensors 24/24/0/0     Damage Control Rating 16     PPV 0
Maint Life 1.06 Years     MSP 1611    AFR 443%    IFR 6.2%    1YR 1434    5YR 21509    Max Repair 400 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Spare Berths 1   
Tractor Beam     

S-50 x1.00 EP Magneto-plasma Drive (9)    Power 800    Fuel Use 15%    Signature 800    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 4,000,000 Litres    Range 160.0 billion km   (154 days at full power)

ASS S-01 R-001 MR-11 (1)     GPS 48     Range 11.5m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor S-01 TH-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km
EM Detection Sensor S-01 EM-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Using mid-game tech, this can tow an orbital habitat at around 1250 km/s.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: January 21, 2013, 12:08:15 pm »

I rarely use normal launchers. Aurora missile battles are all about weight of fire, rather than rate of fire. If you hit a ship with a single volley of 40 missiles, you're going to get a lot more through their PD than if you launched four separate salvos of 10 missiles.

Then you're faced with the problem of more than 1 ship/stronger ships than you thought.

I just designed a first strike ship carrying 24 regular size launchers and 24 0.25 launchers. 48 missiles during the first salvo with continued fire capability if the enemy survives.

Actually, I regularly engage far superior forces. The reload penalties only get really absurd for .33x launchers (which should be abhorred in any case because of FUCKING UNEVEN NUMBERS RAAAGE) and .25x launchers. I typically use a 1:1 ratio of 0.5x launchers and box launchers. The box launchers give you a very high alpha strike capability, and through extensive testing I've decided that 0.5x launchers have the ideal balance. Unless you have complete shit for reload speed tech, you're only looking at a reload time of ~+60 seconds in exchange for doubled launcher numbers.

And, as noted in damned near every conversation re: missile combat, nothing says you need to launch all of your missiles at once if the targets don't merit it, hence the concept of hot-switching FC links, or for that matter having different ships target different enemies. Also, if you're encountering ships that can eat a full salvo without blinking, launching a smaller salvo every 30 seconds is going to be worse than one twice the size of the former every 90 seconds or so.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: January 21, 2013, 12:38:16 pm »

Does it matter if your launchers take 10 minutes to reload when you have to wait that long to see the results of your first salvo anyway?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: January 21, 2013, 02:32:44 pm »

There's another point. Ship to ship combat takes a long time to come to the conclusion, relatively speaking. Either you're waiting minutes for your missiles to arrive, or you're waiting minutes-hours for your E/KW platforms to close.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13014 on: January 22, 2013, 03:15:51 pm »

Eh, they are not that hard to give reasonable maintainance times to.

Code: [Select]
Illustrious class Tug    30,000 tons     553 Crew     4759.9 BP      TCS 600  TH 7200  EM 0
12000 km/s     Armour 3-86     Shields 0-0     Sensors 24/24/0/0     Damage Control Rating 16     PPV 0
Maint Life 1.06 Years     MSP 1611    AFR 443%    IFR 6.2%    1YR 1434    5YR 21509    Max Repair 400 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Spare Berths 1   
Tractor Beam     

S-50 x1.00 EP Magneto-plasma Drive (9)    Power 800    Fuel Use 15%    Signature 800    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 4,000,000 Litres    Range 160.0 billion km   (154 days at full power)

ASS S-01 R-001 MR-11 (1)     GPS 48     Range 11.5m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor S-01 TH-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km
EM Detection Sensor S-01 EM-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Using mid-game tech, this can tow an orbital habitat at around 1250 km/s.

Here's my latest iteration of the Rover-class tug:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obviously built for duration rather than performance. One of their chief duties is toting these babies around:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Big and expensive, but the payoff is significant. I can drop a breathable amount of oxygen on any rock in under two years' time. If I have to start from an airless rock, and go with a standard mix of 0.3atm N2 and 0.1atm O2, then it's under eight years (and then adjusting for temperature, of course). If I have a ship captain with a high terraforming skill, it can be considerably less. I've got seven standard-habitable worlds in the Confederation now, with another two under terraforming, and one of the habitable ones undergoing a bit of habitat improvement to make it more pleasant.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: January 22, 2013, 04:54:42 pm »

I never thought terraforming modules were that useful, until I realized that you need 5m workers in the manufactoring sector on the planet if you want to use the buildable ones.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13016 on: January 22, 2013, 06:53:25 pm »

You also have to consider that terraforming ships negate the need to occupy your freighters.

Terraforming installations are also very large. You'd need 5 times as much ship room for shipping installations than a module takes up. That also means you'd have to spend multiple times as much fuel as the terraforming ships would have to if you use the same engines.

Heck, compared to 300 Dur and Bor for installations, they cost 250 Dur and Bor, so they're actually cheaper!

So yes, modules have a lot of things going for them. Especially on closer inspection.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:57:47 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: January 22, 2013, 07:34:53 pm »

Also of note is that if you use terraforming modules you can fill the ships with terraforming bonus officers.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: January 22, 2013, 07:54:19 pm »

You can use governors instead, though, if you use installations. And instead of multiple officers for each ship, you only need one for each planet.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: January 22, 2013, 08:01:12 pm »

But you can only have one Governor per planet, while you can have multiple officers on a ship all contributing a terraforming bonus.
Right?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1347