Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816213 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12975 on: January 13, 2013, 06:03:56 pm »

I guess ramming ships would be TOO effective. Small balls of armor, ripping through larger ships...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12976 on: January 13, 2013, 06:10:37 pm »

I guess ramming ships would be TOO effective. Small balls of armor, ripping through larger ships...
Fast small balls of armor, cause 'slow' is NOT sufficient ramming speed.

I suppose this may come along with the introduction of kamikaze ships for the star swarm...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12977 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »

Well, if Newtonian Aurora ever gets off the ground, I could see ramming attacks coming in.  The biggest issue with them is that they are too effective vs planets, which can not dodge.  Vs star-ships, if you've got a limited amount of G-force that you can take, a fast pellet of a ship coming in to ram you will have incredible difficulties hitting a random-walk target that isn't moving much.  It's quite hard to accelerate fast enough laterally to hit a target when you've already max accelerated for 1000 seconds.  They can pull off 3 G and go sideways silly fast.  You do try to match that, and you need to pull off a heck of a larger acceleration, as you need to make adjustments much faster, much sooner.

That, and any enemy worth their salt in tactics would realize your plan, see your path, and have a stupid accuracy in hitting you. 
So you mean if I just empty my ore transporter in his path, I'll stop him from hitting us at any reasonable speed?  Okay, dump the cargo bay, we can pick it up later.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12978 on: January 14, 2013, 05:37:13 am »

Actually in pure Newtonian Aurora a ship that can accelerate 3G is not getting out of path of a ship that can pull 3.01G. You see - if initial ramming approach is happening along X axis - the ramming ship may stop accelerating along X and dedicate all it's acceleration to counter its target's attempts to dodge along Y. If you look at Y axis - you see the target desperately trying to move out and the ramming ship precisely mirroring the acceleration and therefore - the speed.

In a more general approach - once 2 bodies are on collision courses - one of them just needs to mirror the other's 3D acceleration to stay on collision course. If the pursuing ship's acceleration is bigger - it can dedicate the difference to whatever manoeuvres it wants.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12979 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:15 am »

Actually in pure Newtonian Aurora a ship that can accelerate 3G is not getting out of path of a ship that can pull 3.01G. You see - if initial ramming approach is happening along X axis - the ramming ship may stop accelerating along X and dedicate all it's acceleration to counter its target's attempts to dodge along Y. If you look at Y axis - you see the target desperately trying to move out and the ramming ship precisely mirroring the acceleration and therefore - the speed.

In a more general approach - once 2 bodies are on collision courses - one of them just needs to mirror the other's 3D acceleration to stay on collision course. If the pursuing ship's acceleration is bigger - it can dedicate the difference to whatever manoeuvres it wants.
It all sounds relatively simple.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12980 on: January 14, 2013, 11:30:30 am »

Is this unusual? I've got a ton of dead ends on my galactic map. I'm gonna stick with this game no matter what, but this seems really unlucky.  Or is this pretty normal?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12981 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:59 am »

That many is, at least in my experience. I usually only encounter one dead-end system for every ~6 that I survey.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12982 on: January 17, 2013, 10:30:29 am »

That's some pretty extraordinary poor luck, to have four out of five jumproutes terminate within a system or two.

I did have an SM start one time that only had two jumproutes out of my home system, one of which terminated in the next system. And the other route formed more or less a straight line for like five or six jumps. And was packed full of Precursors. !!FUN!! times were had.

Does seem to be pretty common that at least one of the jumproutes out of a Sol-based start will either be a single terminus system or a small "pocket" of 2-3 systems that interconnect.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12983 on: January 17, 2013, 11:36:45 am »

That probably has to do with the way the JP system works; systems close in number to each other are more likely to be connected (unless you've deactivated that), and all the systems close in number to Sol are also close to each other, making it more likely for them to be a web rather than separate bead strands.

3. Run Resize Enable

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12984 on: January 17, 2013, 02:09:42 pm »

I haven't had much experience with the game overall, but I was wondering if it was possible to create a closed jump network, consisting of two small clusters for each opposing team, capped with a single jump point for defence. Several systems between these two points is a single system with massive amounts of military grade minerals, meant to be the primary strategic 'hill' of sorts.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12985 on: January 17, 2013, 02:20:23 pm »

I haven't had much experience with the game overall, but I was wondering if it was possible to create a closed jump network, consisting of two small clusters for each opposing team, capped with a single jump point for defence. Several systems between these two points is a single system with massive amounts of military grade minerals, meant to be the primary strategic 'hill' of sorts.
Totally doable. If you use SpaceMaster mode, you can gen up various systems and then dictate how the jump points link up, and even where the jump points are located in the system.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12986 on: January 17, 2013, 02:26:07 pm »

Do note, though, that you'll want to set the NPR spawn chance to 0% and turn off all of the special enemies before creating any systems.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12987 on: January 17, 2013, 02:43:03 pm »

Do note, though, that you'll want to set the NPR spawn chance to 0% and turn off all of the special enemies before creating any systems.
Awwww....but then you miss out on the chance fun of having a Precursor base in your starting system. Or a Swarm Queen who just wants to cuddle your homeworld in her warm, radioactive glow (that was the most horrifying fail ever for an Aurora game for me)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12988 on: January 18, 2013, 12:09:31 am »

I think starting this campaign with 2 active NPRs was a mistake. I haven't even launched a ship yet (conventional start), and I've already slowed to a crawl with 1 day interrupts for "Potential Fleet Interception". Trying to burn through it with autoturns, but it's a bit frustrating.

Do the rest of you usually start with active NPRs?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12989 on: January 18, 2013, 12:13:56 am »

Nope. I'm too much of a turtle. Having an NPR running around activating shit would stop my game before I could possibly get off the ground.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 1347