Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816204 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12990 on: January 18, 2013, 09:53:17 am »

I think starting this campaign with 2 active NPRs was a mistake. I haven't even launched a ship yet (conventional start), and I've already slowed to a crawl with 1 day interrupts for "Potential Fleet Interception". Trying to burn through it with autoturns, but it's a bit frustrating.

Do the rest of you usually start with active NPRs?
I usually start with one. One of my preferred modes is to play an SM race from a moderately distant star system, and then SM in Sol and humans as the NPR.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12991 on: January 18, 2013, 11:37:05 am »

I think starting this campaign with 2 active NPRs was a mistake. I haven't even launched a ship yet (conventional start), and I've already slowed to a crawl with 1 day interrupts for "Potential Fleet Interception". Trying to burn through it with autoturns, but it's a bit frustrating.

I usually start with one. One of my preferred modes is to play an SM race from a moderately distant star system, and then SM in Sol and humans as the NPR.

I like to do that, but I've never played long enough to meet the Earthlings.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: January 18, 2013, 11:39:52 am »

I like to do that, but I've never played long enough to meet the Earthlings.
Me neither. Seems like I keep heading further away from Earth with every jump. Plus, last time I used dev mode to peek in on my little hairless apes, and they hadn't gotten very far. Kept sending gate constructors into a hostile system just one or two jumps outside of Sol and getting blow'd up. Think they eventually mineral crashed from the expense of wasting 20+ gate constructors.  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12993 on: January 20, 2013, 12:25:39 pm »

Does a ship with combat drop modules need any cargo handling systems? Or just the transport ship?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12994 on: January 20, 2013, 12:29:51 pm »

Just the transport ship needs the troop handling. Just remember that the troops start suffering if you leave them in drop modules for too long and ,as far as I have ever been able to determine, once they are loaded into drop modules the only way to get them out is to have them drop somewhere, you can't just transfer them back.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12995 on: January 20, 2013, 12:50:14 pm »

OK, thanks Metalax.  Now I'm wondering about armor. Should I make them super-fast or give them a little protection?

I'm playing around with the design and I can get a 1,000 ton ship with no extra armor up to about 19,000km/s.  Or I can do a 1,200 ton ship with 5 armor that does about 15,750km/s.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12996 on: January 20, 2013, 12:55:03 pm »

Unless you're also give them point defense, speed is more important than armor. If a ship with no PD starts taking shots, it's probably going to die regardless of how much armor it has (unless it's an immobile blob of armor).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12997 on: January 20, 2013, 05:46:21 pm »

(removed a brewing argument, please be more careful before posting)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12998 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:03 pm »

I'm trying to decide if using reduced size launchers have any merit. The reload time is ridiculous, but if you're lobbing hundreds of missiles on the first volley at an enemy ship, the reload time probably doesn't matter all that much.

Another downside is the fact the missiles get expensive when the supply of your average cruiser numbers in the thousands.

Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12999 on: January 20, 2013, 09:45:06 pm »

Reduced size also means they can fit better on smaller ships (e.g fighters, gunboats, and a few thousand ton ships)/ships with specific sizes in mind (e.g when you've already designed the Jump Engine) without having to make as many sacrifices in other departments.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13000 on: January 20, 2013, 09:49:21 pm »

It's better to have a few salvos with many missiles each than many salvos with a few missiles each for overwhelming enemy PD, so yes, definitely make use of reduced size launchers on your missile ships.

Missiles are expensive regardless of your launcher size, so I'm not sure why that would be a factor.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13001 on: January 20, 2013, 11:17:05 pm »

I rarely use normal launchers. Aurora missile battles are all about weight of fire, rather than rate of fire. If you hit a ship with a single volley of 40 missiles, you're going to get a lot more through their PD than if you launched four separate salvos of 10 missiles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13002 on: January 20, 2013, 11:30:09 pm »

I rarely use normal launchers. Aurora missile battles are all about weight of fire, rather than rate of fire. If you hit a ship with a single volley of 40 missiles, you're going to get a lot more through their PD than if you launched four separate salvos of 10 missiles.

Then you're faced with the problem of more than 1 ship/stronger ships than you thought.

I just designed a first strike ship carrying 24 regular size launchers and 24 0.25 launchers. 48 missiles during the first salvo with continued fire capability if the enemy survives.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13003 on: January 21, 2013, 12:17:29 am »

What I do is have several reduced size launchers designed for crippling fist strikes, and then I either close in with beam weaponry, or I use normal lauchers. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13004 on: January 21, 2013, 04:51:22 am »

Tugs. How do? Do I, as stated somewhere behind in the thread, strap a lot of fuel and engines on that bastard and nothing else or what?
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1347