Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819143 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11685 on: September 28, 2012, 04:29:05 pm »

Xenos don't try to enslave you. If they're hostile at all, it's hostility of the extermination kind.

Just build some MIRV's and some Radiation missles for use on population centers. Easy.

MIRVs defeat the purpose of radiation bombardment. You don't need to build a big tube full of tiny dirty bombs when you can make a big dirty bomb. Mostly because the mechanics set the planetary population as a single target; there is no such thing as a precision strike unless you're using smaller ASM to thin out ground forces.

The MIRVs are for stirking down enemy vessels, to clear the way for the radiation bombardment vehicles.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11686 on: September 29, 2012, 06:39:02 am »

Started a game as the Islamic Republic of Iran. Conventional Start, 200m population. I am a military Theocracy, so I start with one shipyard and one research lab.

DEATH TO THE INFIDEL!

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: September 29, 2012, 01:27:28 pm »

Is there any way to give a freighter an order along the lines of: "When Titan has some duranium available, go there and load it, then unload it on Earth"?  It's getting a little frustrating having to constantly check and then give orders.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: September 29, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »

Just set an order to load up to X when available and loop that.  In one game awhile ago I had a single fleet of 10 ships set up to pick up resources from 3 systems and each had enough mines to fill the cargo ships up at about the same rate so I had a load X when available in the first, return, pick up, return, pick up, return, fuel, repeat.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: September 29, 2012, 02:45:34 pm »

The issue is that if there isn't any there the whole train of orders is cancelled. When you're dealing with intrasystem traffic, it's best to either use mass drivers or just do periodic pickups. Unless you want to design and build underpowered freighters that take a long time to get to and from places.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: September 29, 2012, 03:08:34 pm »

The issue is that if there isn't any there the whole train of orders is cancelled. When you're dealing with intrasystem traffic, it's best to either use mass drivers or just do periodic pickups. Unless you want to design and build underpowered freighters that take a long time to get to and from places.

Which your civilians will be only too happy to purchase, by the way.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11691 on: September 29, 2012, 03:26:29 pm »

When steve releases the version 6.0 there will be orders in that will enable you to set up these supply routes that wil not cancel out if there is a shortage.

But you can prevent them from building designs that you don't want them to by marking the class as obsolete. You can still build them at shipyards that you have tooled for them but the civilians won't pick them to build. When 6.0 hits civilians will be designing their own ships using the components that you have designed.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: September 29, 2012, 04:08:14 pm »

So, how do you set up a good supply chain across multiple systems?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: September 29, 2012, 04:21:43 pm »

So, how do you set up a good supply chain across multiple systems?
Longer supply chains tend to give production facilities enough time to avoid that problem. I still only do periodic trips, though; anything more is a waste of fuel.

3. Run Resize Enable

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: September 29, 2012, 04:24:09 pm »

*thought it said "Inter" rather than "Intra"*

*facepalms*.

Does that mean that mass drivers can fire through jump gates, by the by?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11695 on: September 29, 2012, 04:25:57 pm »

No. What they can do is fire at rocks close to JPs.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11696 on: September 30, 2012, 12:38:01 am »

Speaking of underpowered freighters i present the Zond Class Lunar lander:
Zond Lander class Shuttle    7,550 tons     228 Crew     129.5 BP      TCS 151  TH 8  EM 0
52 km/s     Armour 1-34     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 0.5 Years     MSP 11    AFR 456%    IFR 6.3%    1YR 22    5YR 333    Max Repair 5 MSP
Cargo 5000   

Conventional Engine E10 (8)    Power 1    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 1    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 11.7 billion km   (2604 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

What is this monstrosity? Seriously WTF man?
Well I'm RPing a 1950's soviet conventional start, Sputnik has detected minerals on the other planets and we've only just learned of Trans Newtonian science, This lander is our first attempt to get manned space travel going, it will be used to drop my geology team onto the moon, and to painstakingly start a colony.
Eventually i'll build a civilian shipyard and research real engines, but considering it's only 1956 this seems appropiate.

Edited because i forgot the fuel.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 01:14:36 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: September 30, 2012, 04:53:34 pm »

I'll admit: I've used conventional engines in my designs before.  I've even produced freighters with the same slowness.  Have even experimented with one-hold freighters.  My favorite is the "combo cargo-colonizer".  It hold one hold of cargo and one cyro/passenger compartment: Meant solely to provide initial infrastructure and colonists for a colony.

Sounds like a fun scenario.  Note that ships is really advanced for 1956.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: October 01, 2012, 07:09:42 am »

You know you don't even need to seed a colony this way? You can create a colony from the system window and contract civilian to move infrastructure.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: October 01, 2012, 07:29:34 am »

But will civilians start purchasing their ships before there is a second population somewhere?
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1347