Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819146 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11715 on: October 01, 2012, 07:22:24 pm »

Indeed you can do the nomad fleet using orbital habitats, but you will almost certainly have to build and use jumpgates in order to be able to transit your habitation ships and your towed shipyards.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11716 on: October 02, 2012, 11:03:31 am »

Is there a way to see at a glance which task groups don't currently have orders?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: October 02, 2012, 07:14:01 pm »

Apart from just checking them? Not really. It isn't exactly difficult to scroll down the list, though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: October 03, 2012, 06:57:17 am »

Apart from just checking them? Not really. It isn't exactly difficult to scroll down the list, though.
To farther clarify this - press "down" key repeatedly while task group selection box is selected (highlighted).

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:28 pm »

What do the "grade bonus" and "TF Training" numbers actually mean?  I infer that they are bonuses of some kind, but bonuses to what?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11720 on: October 03, 2012, 09:45:01 pm »

Combat mainly. Task force training only has an effect if you've selected the 'inexperienced fleet penalties' option in at the start of the game (which I don't recommend, since it's just annoying). If it's less than 100%, there will be a delay between the time you issue orders to a Task Group and when they start carrying them out if there are hostiles in the same system. Crew grade is based on your racial training level and is gained through combat. It's applied to weapon accuracy and maybe some other things.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: October 03, 2012, 11:45:28 pm »

Okay, take two at me trying to get into this.

What is the command to get MSSTDFMT.dll working? The image in the OP is broken.

Also, some of the windows are too big for my screen and get cut off at the bottom regardless of how I position them. I don't suppose there's a way to resize them, is there?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:08 am »

I'm not sure the exact problem you're having, but i seem to have a copy of msstdfmt.dll in my Aurora folder and in every subfolder, if you don't have it in any of them that may be the problem, i found a downlaod link here; http://www.dlldll.com/msstdfmt.dll_download.html
EDIT, here's what the spoiler said:

IT WORKS!

Here's the fix for anyone with 64 bit win7 and probably vista, since this isn't documented anywhere specifically on their forums I'm going to post it here :P

If you're getting the MSSTDFMT.dll file is missing when you press F9 for necessary star system information:
1. Download the dll here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msstdfmt
2. Drop the .dll in C:/windows/syswow64
3. Open up the command line as administrator and type the second to last line outlined in red

It will now work upon restarting the game.
If what i said doesn't work, try that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:04:48 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: October 04, 2012, 12:10:03 am »

I'm not sure the exact problem you're having, but i seem to have a copy of msstdfmt.dll in my Aurora folder and in every subfolder, if you don't have it in any of them that may be the problem, i found a downlaod link here; http://www.dlldll.com/msstdfmt.dll_download.html

That seems... unnecessary, but I'll try it. I've already tried it with the dll in the main Aurora folder and that didn't work.

EDIT, here's what the spoiler said:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, that's what I've been following. The problem is, the information I need is in the image under #3, which is not loading.
                        - Random human lord

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: October 04, 2012, 12:12:42 am »

oooooh, yeah i didn't see an image, so i thought you meant the spoiler link.
anyway You need to type 'regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll' into the command prompt.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: October 04, 2012, 12:27:35 am »

Okay, I figured that was it but I got an error message the first time I tried. After some googling it turns out I just had to run the command prompt as administrator. Thanks.

Now I can open the system info screen. Too bad it is still far too large for my screen.
                        - Random human lord

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: October 04, 2012, 12:34:06 am »

Yeah anything under 1366x768 is a problem, But i was playing it on 1280x600 and only had problems on a few screens. resize enable helped but it was a little buggy.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: October 04, 2012, 01:01:30 am »

I tried it but it screwed up the entry boxes whenever I changed the vertical size. I got GiMeSpace and it seems to be pretty well suited for the job, if a bit annoying at times.

On to actually learning the game. Wish me luck!

Edit: Actually, screw GiMeSpace. It is absolutely awful if you don't buy it, and I don't intend to pay $20 for that piece of crap utility.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:33:04 am by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11728 on: October 04, 2012, 01:02:36 am »

There's a "use reduced height windows" option somewhere. Unfortunately I don't use it so I couldn't tell you where.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: October 04, 2012, 01:42:43 am »

There's a "use reduced height windows" option somewhere. Unfortunately I don't use it so I couldn't tell you where.
Thank you so much. You saved me a lot of time and a huge headache.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1347