Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819038 times)

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11670 on: September 28, 2012, 01:54:36 am »

I've encountered a rather interesting situation in my current game of Aurora. The neighboring star systems looked unusually lush, with two of the five adjacent systems containing low colony cost worlds, however I did forget to check one minor detail on Proxima Centauri.

I sent my proud extra-solar explorers out there to determine if it was safe to colonise the system, and wondered why they were taking so long to send back reports. Turns out that the orbital distance of the first planet in the system is 61 billion km, the Sol jump point (which had a jump gate pre-built on both sides, hence my concern - in a previous game I've met very industrious NPRs who build jump gates everywhere, but these must have just been random ones) is right next to the star itself, and the potentially colonisable world is orbiting the other star in this binary system.

My ship ran out of fuel about one third of the way to the nearest LP in the system. :(

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of his mispronunciation and malapropism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11671 on: September 28, 2012, 02:39:22 am »

Tough luck... Looks like it was the way the game mocking you:
"Here are some nice juicy planets. You may look but cannot lay your hand on them."

If you like, you can manually move the Jump Point to somewhere more feasible, like moving the jump point somewhere near Lagrange point or to the second star.

Post the system screenshot, so we can participate lamenting the situation...
Aurora Community Game: Allies and Reich in Space. :
Year 2004: Reich in Jupiter. Now what?

Only You can help the Allies conquer the stars! For Freedom and Capitalism!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: September 28, 2012, 08:04:43 am »

Yeah, far binary habitables are a pain. That's why you develop hyper drives. I usually maintain at least one hyper-capable geosurvey ship specifically for such situations. Although even if you find a good one, it's going to be troublesome to exploit because you'll need hyper-capable freighters, hyper-capable colony ships, etc.

On the other hand, they make fantastic safehouses because the NPRs don't usually develop hyper-capable warships. Dropping 100 research labs on one and turning it into a super-secret research facility is fun.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: September 28, 2012, 08:09:13 am »

NPR never use hyperdrive.  And really, you only need the one hyper-ship.  The resources can be sent back via mass driver.  Just don't be surprised if it takes years for them to reach any nearby planet :P

Fun fact: In the late game, hyperdrive on fighters can go faster than the speed of light.

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of his mispronunciation and malapropism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: September 28, 2012, 08:57:23 am »

Still... 61 billion on Hyperdrive still gonna sucks... And it still not worth to attempting colonize 7those 7far binaries, except maybe for roleplay purpose:
"Humankind are losing the battles with extramdimensional beings that come from JP... to escape them human escape desperately into far systems... 61billion km from the nearest jump points... hopefully... it far enough..."
Aurora Community Game: Allies and Reich in Space. :
Year 2004: Reich in Jupiter. Now what?

Only You can help the Allies conquer the stars! For Freedom and Capitalism!

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11675 on: September 28, 2012, 09:02:47 am »

The worst problem with habitable far binaries is your own civilians. They don't know how to use a hyperdrive either (and will ignore an obvious LP jump possibility) but most of the ships will eventually attempt a century-long business trip for some textiles or electronics.

It really makes practical sense to delete all bodies farther than 100 AU through the F9 screen immediately upon discovery of all new systems.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: September 28, 2012, 09:23:55 am »

The worst problem with habitable far binaries is your own civilians. They don't know how to use a hyperdrive either (and will ignore an obvious LP jump possibility) but most of the ships will eventually attempt a century-long business trip for some textiles or electronics.

It really makes practical sense to delete all bodies farther than 100 AU through the F9 screen immediately upon discovery of all new systems.

" To prevent private ships from traveling to a system body (planet, moon, asteroid, comet), click Ban Body in the System window (F9). "
I'll excuse anyone who didn't know you could do this, since i found this out by random myself.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11677 on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:11 am »

And thankfully in the next update civs will start using LPs to plan their routes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: September 28, 2012, 10:14:59 am »

61 billion km? That honestly isn't very bad, especially with hyperdrive. In fact, that's less than a third of my usual range for early-mid game freighters, colony ships, and survey ships. The ones that are half a lightyear, or around 4.73 trillion kilometers, on the other hand...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11679 on: September 28, 2012, 01:23:58 pm »

" To prevent private ships from traveling to a system body (planet, moon, asteroid, comet), click Ban Body in the System window (F9). "
I'll excuse anyone who didn't know you could do this, since i found this out by random myself.

I think that only works of you have no colony there.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: September 28, 2012, 02:36:10 pm »

Images of the Proxima Centauri system;

Proxima Centauri A has a few potentially-colonisable, although mid-high colony cost, worlds in the event a ship could actually reach them; the LP that my ship was trying to reach is around 300 billion km from the jump point (that's the orbital distance of its parent Super Jovian, at least). At the time my ship tech was still fairly low, and I probably wouldn't even have made it out of the hyper limit.

Spoiler: Proxima Centauri A (click to show/hide)

And this is the picture of the whole system. The system has a fair number of worlds and moons that might conceivably hold NPRs, of either the oxygen or methane-breathing flavours, but if they do exist they'll probably run out of minerals before getting out of their own star system :p

Proxima Centauri B has a listed orbital distance of 19600, which I believe is measured in AUs - the distance between the Earth and its primary. This is listed in game as 150m km, so... (*presses buttons on calculator*)...  about 2.9 trillion km, if I'm calculating it correctly. With the LPs (both stars have at least one Super Jovian in orbit) ship travel is possible, eventually, but I think I'll just go explore Tau Ceti instead to be honest. Maybe send a few ships out to the sub-2.00 colony cost world (not visible in the picture - Proxima Centauri B-II) to form a secondary base of operations in case aliens kill or enslave the rest of humanity... hmm.

Just to make matters worse it looks like there's some sort of galactic Neutronium shortage - besides the initial amount on Earth and a fair-sized deposit on Mercury, there's pretty much none to be found. Geosurveys of (nearly) every meaningful planet and moon have been conducted, but it's looking like we'll need to explore a little faster than intended - there's about 30k units on Pluto, but once that's gone our shipbuilding ability will soon follow. There's reports of a huge deposit (11m units, albeit at 0.3 accessibility) in a neighbouring system though, so the race is on to get a secure (and large) mining colony established there before it's too late.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11681 on: September 28, 2012, 03:21:00 pm »

Xenos don't try to enslave you. If they're hostile at all, it's hostility of the extermination kind.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11682 on: September 28, 2012, 03:49:01 pm »

I was wondering how in the hell you had planets that far out in orbit and then I noticed the star. That's not your father's Proxima Centauri. :P

No wonder....I've never even had a B-class star generated, much less a pair of B IIs. Yeah, that's a system you leave alone until you've taken a few more levels in engine tech. At least you have LPs. Try a far binary with *no* LPs at all. D:

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11683 on: September 28, 2012, 03:49:55 pm »

Xenos don't try to enslave you. If they're hostile at all, it's hostility of the extermination kind.

Just build some MIRV's and some Radiation missles for use on population centers. Easy.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11684 on: September 28, 2012, 04:00:28 pm »

Just build some MIRV's and some Radiation missles for use on population centers. Easy.

MIRVs defeat the purpose of radiation bombardment. You don't need to build a big tube full of tiny dirty bombs when you can make a big dirty bomb. Mostly because the mechanics set the planetary population as a single target; there is no such thing as a precision strike unless you're using smaller ASM to thin out ground forces.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 1347