Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818296 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9225 on: December 19, 2011, 12:27:08 pm »

One problem that I discovered with gauss cannons...because the minimum range is so short, it can be tricky to engage if both you and the target are travelling at a high rate of speed, because if you set your ships to "Follow", they'll often do so at less-than-optimal range. And using "Move to" doesn't work because they'll move to point-blank range, then stop. And if you have anything less than 100% TF training, the delay in getting moving again will allow the target back out of your range. *grrrr*

There's also the fact that they do dick-all for damage. I had a flight of gauss-armed fighters chasing down a Precursor missile boat that was out of ammo. They could outrun it, but I couldn't specify for them to close to like 10,000km and open up. Instead, they rode on its tail at about 40,000km and they only time they got closer was as they'd hit an engine and the enemy would drop in speed a bit, causing them to gain on it until the next 5 second increment, when it readjusted the fighter speed to match. And it took over 10 minutes of continuous gauss fire to kill it. xD

Eh, that shouldn't be much of a problem, except for the whole lack of damage point. I'm at Gauss Velocity 4 tech, going on 5, so my max range is 40,000km anyways, which should be good enough. Besides, if I wanted to destroy the enemy quickly I would have gone with meson tech.

Not much else to talk about. I still haven't found any enemies. No precursors, NPRs, nothing.

Colonization has been proceeding slowly. I've terraformed a planet in another system to colonization cost 0, but my civilians seem to prefer to ship colonists to Venus instead. Meh. I've got 6 terraforming ships hovering above Venus, slowly converting the atmosphere so that it doesn't horribly crush my colonists when they leave their bunkers. Eventually I'll get bored and have them terraform some of the other cool planets that I've found.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: December 19, 2011, 12:42:33 pm »

RedKing: You can use designer mode to do that I guess.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: December 19, 2011, 01:17:32 pm »

RedKing: You can use designer mode to do that I guess.

Yeah...but I don't have the password and I gather that Steve's not keen to give it out as much as he used to. S'okay...I'm busy with my current game for the time being, and then I'll try my "multiple Earth TN starts with 0 tech" scenario. I'll just have to keep SM'ing the diplomacy rating up every few years until things are stable.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: December 19, 2011, 02:39:07 pm »

I believe that all of Steve's multifaction AARs had him controlling each of the human factions manually (and in the earlier ones, some aliens as well), as this is pretty much the only way to reliably prevent AI stupidity from messing with the RP.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9229 on: December 19, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finally found some jump drives in the ruins. Now we can research jump drives. The NPRs got a 16-year head start (if not more after all the research is done).
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: December 19, 2011, 09:41:12 pm »

I'm absolutely in love with my current governor of Earth:
20% Factory Production bonus
20% Wealth Creation bonus
20% Mining bonus
5% Shipbuilding bonus
5% Population Growth bonus

Those are the stats he started with.  :D

3. Run Resize Enable

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: December 19, 2011, 10:14:58 pm »

Watch as he dies from a heart attack next month :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: December 19, 2011, 10:18:56 pm »

Okay, just wow. I recovered a research lab and piece of technology from some TL2 ruins.

The tech? Fucking Absorption Shield regen rate. How does that work, again?

3. Run Resize Enable

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:47 am »

I just finished reading Steves AARs and man does he do a good job keeping things interesting! The only real downside is that all the ones Ive read end in the middle which I can understand considering they run for months but still I would love to find a complete one. Ive had a browse around the Aurora forums but couldnt find any and I have no idea where else to look so is there another good forum for AARs?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: December 20, 2011, 12:39:15 am »

Absorption shields are leaky shields.  They have a high max power, and when you take damage they keep it in a "buffer" while some slips through.  The buffer damage is applied to the shield over time, so the damage is still there it's just delayed, hopefully allowing you to recharge and overcome it.  If the shield breaks, then it explodes and can cripple the ship in a huge secondary explosion.

So I've heard.  Steve did a rather poor job of explaining it coherently.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: December 20, 2011, 01:06:25 am »

I meant more along the lines of "how did a civilization with very early T/N tech have the same shields as Invaders", not "fuckin' magnets, how do they work".  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: December 20, 2011, 01:33:11 am »

Maybe they developed shield technology differently than most races?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: December 20, 2011, 01:56:48 am »

Absorption shields are leaky shields.  They have a high max power, and when you take damage they keep it in a "buffer" while some slips through.  The buffer damage is applied to the shield over time, so the damage is still there it's just delayed, hopefully allowing you to recharge and overcome it.  If the shield breaks, then it explodes and can cripple the ship in a huge secondary explosion.

So, basically the Langston Field from Mote in God's Eye (that and it's sequel are awesome sci-fi)?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9238 on: December 20, 2011, 02:35:44 am »

Well, yes. He's also explained why he doesn't want to describe the exact mechanics behind spoiler technology. I've never managed to get both pieces researched at the same time, but I would like to get to a point in a game where I have access to those. It's too bad that SM mode doesn't allow you to instantly research Precursor and Invader technology, just to play around with.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: December 20, 2011, 01:26:46 pm »

Does anyone else have a problem playing on Windows 7? I installed outside of Program Files. I run as Administrator. The game creation window pops up but doesn't fully load. I can read "The Space Race" but none of the other UI elements load. My laptop just sits there with one processor fully utilized. I've waited for five minutes and nothing happens. I have to kill Aurora through task manager.

I'm on 5.55. It's installed correctly.
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1347