Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818290 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9210 on: December 17, 2011, 01:23:01 pm »

Well, since my internet has crapped out, I've been playing Aurora a lot more. Inspired by Redking (at least I think that he was the one who did it), I've been focusing on using only Gauss weaponry for all my ships. The challenge is going to be doubly FUN, since I haven't actually fought any engagements in Aurora. Most of my empires collapse when I get distracted by another game.

Things have been going well so far. Exploration has been halted for now. My exploration ships skimped on the fuel too much, so I constantly had to rescue them. I've learned from my mistakes though. The newest designs can go on full power for more than a year. I have no idea how effective my ships are going to be in combat though. I haven't encountered any other empires or precursors. My latest design, the Rapier, pumps out 20 points of damage every five seconds, with a maximum range of 30k. Not the best, but hopefully they're fast enough to get in range of any enemies. At 7000 tons and more than 6000 km/s, they should be.

Sol-wise, Mars is now perfect habitable, with only an atmospheric pressure of 0.5 atm and a average temperature of 31C. I'm a bit surprised at how little terraforming I had to do. I'm designing some terraforming ships next, so that Venus can become habitable as well, or at least enough so that they can operate the terraforming facilities on their own. I never thought that I would say this, but annoyingly my shipping lines are producing too many cargo haulers. I think it might have something to do with the luxury accommodations I included in my colony ship design. The next version will probably dispose of it.

As I said before, the amount of exploration I've done is negligible, due to the crappy fuel stores of my exploration vessels. Only one system explored so far, and it has no easily habitable planets. Even more annoyingly, the ones that I could possibly terraform are mostly orbiting the other star in the system. The star that is several billion kilometers out from the primary star. AKA the one where the jump point lands you. However, if I ever had a reason to pursue hyper-drive technology, this would be one of them.

Anyways, wish me luck.

One problem that I discovered with gauss cannons...because the minimum range is so short, it can be tricky to engage if both you and the target are travelling at a high rate of speed, because if you set your ships to "Follow", they'll often do so at less-than-optimal range. And using "Move to" doesn't work because they'll move to point-blank range, then stop. And if you have anything less than 100% TF training, the delay in getting moving again will allow the target back out of your range. *grrrr*

There's also the fact that they do dick-all for damage. I had a flight of gauss-armed fighters chasing down a Precursor missile boat that was out of ammo. They could outrun it, but I couldn't specify for them to close to like 10,000km and open up. Instead, they rode on its tail at about 40,000km and they only time they got closer was as they'd hit an engine and the enemy would drop in speed a bit, causing them to gain on it until the next 5 second increment, when it readjusted the fighter speed to match. And it took over 10 minutes of continuous gauss fire to kill it. xD

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9211 on: December 17, 2011, 01:24:33 pm »

Can't you queue a follow command after a moveto command?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: December 17, 2011, 02:41:16 pm »

Hmm...I'll have to try that. The one problem I see with that is that if I tail them at inside 10k range, I don't think I can actually *shoot*. Must test.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: December 17, 2011, 07:16:51 pm »

You can also micro manage a little and have them get in range and then set their task force speed to match.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: December 17, 2011, 07:21:06 pm »

Minimum combat range is 10k km, any distance shorter than that is just calculated at 10k km anyway.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: December 17, 2011, 10:05:24 pm »

You should make your initiative as high as possible, so that you will move after them, and stay in range.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: December 18, 2011, 02:10:11 am »

Now that I've worn down my Skyrim craving, I finally got back to my conventional start game.  :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I tend to not notice when I do that.  :-X

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: December 19, 2011, 02:49:13 am »

Universalists believe that it is impossible for a warlike sentient species to develop to the point of possessing the capability of interstellar travel without destroying itself, and that other starfarers would likely hold the same views and wish to cooperate for mutual benefit.

hahahaha, I like the dreamer faction. I wonder what they'll say when you encounter your first hyper-hostile Precursor.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: December 19, 2011, 06:53:02 am »

How do you simulate the 3 factions? Roll a dice every 5 years to see who win the elections (Or 3 dices with possible coalitions) and play along this policy until the next elections? (You can complexify that by adding modifier: a lost colony would give a bonus to isolationists, an alien presence in Sol to Expantionists, any warfare would give a huge malus to Universalists)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:16 am »

I've started trying to RP decisions based on the personality traits of my senior naval officer and/or Governor of Earth. In my current game, it's a military dictatorship, so I've been basing it solely off my Fleet Commander (who has been Fleet Commander since the start of the game...he's now 89 years old and has been in Very Poor health for the last three years -- it really *does* simulate a military dictatorship!)

His traits are Professional and Organized though, so other than getting OCD on the organization of stuff, there hasn't been much to RP. I've kinda let some things slide over the last few game years, as I picture him being bed-ridden and a bit like a Fidel Castro at this point. It's actually been interesting trying to decide who I'm going to choose as a successor. The next two senior officers have spent their careers on geology teams, and they're both in their 70s. There's some Rear Admirals who are younger and have actually served combat tours, but two of the most promising got taken out of the equation (one retirement, one "accidental death").

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9220 on: December 19, 2011, 11:36:12 am »

Create three new empires. Perhaps have the remnants of the old empire controlling most planets, earth in the hands of Terran Isolationists, and have a new empire form somewhere nearby on a successful colony world.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: December 19, 2011, 11:58:50 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't any user-created empires lack an active NPR AI? I seem to remember trying a multi-empire Earth start, and the problem was that the other factions never actually did anything.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I think that was a multi-empire conventional start, which might explain it. So, do user-created TN empires act like NPRs?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:00:35 pm by RedKing »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: December 19, 2011, 12:05:37 pm »

It's an option when you make them to let the computer control them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9223 on: December 19, 2011, 12:15:41 pm »

The AI can't handle conventional starts. Also, AI that are on the same planet as you have little compunction about nuclear missiles...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: December 19, 2011, 12:20:11 pm »

It's an option when you make them to let the computer control them.

I am such a noob. >_<

Although that doesn't give me quite the level of control I'd like. I was hoping to be able to select the specific technologies and/or ship designs and OOB (like what Steve has done with his sample game) before handing it over to the AI. Such as if I wanted to simulate a civil war, making the new NPR be a copy of my tech and designs initially. It'd be really nice if there were just a button you could click in SM mode for a player empire telling the game "Make this an NPR", even if it was irrevocable. That could also be nice in multiplayer Aurora campaigns when you have somebody drop out. Just make their empire AI and keep playing.

It might work with my original idea though, I'd just need to make them TN empires with 0 research points all around. I kind of like the idea of a space race and jumping to claim colonies. The difficulty is in keeping the diplo penalties from putting everybody at war before anybody can really get a position established outside Earth.

Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1347