Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818287 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9195 on: December 16, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »

Oh.

Well, ordering 100 automines to Io is easy, what's your problem with it exactly, Kirrian?

From the sound of it, they want to be able to order "Ship Automine x100" rather than "Ship Automine -> Repeat x99".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: December 16, 2011, 02:04:19 pm »

Well, you wouldn't have to go there 100 times if you had more than one freighter, a fleet of ten freighters can do that in ten trips. If you haven't you should read steves tutorial on shipping.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: December 16, 2011, 02:06:01 pm »

Only if said freighters are big enough. My current (still early game) frieghter can carry 1 automine, so I'd need a good sized fleet to deliver 100 to Io in any reasonable timeframe.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: December 16, 2011, 02:11:00 pm »

Or fast enough, Over long distances any increase in speed will shorten delivery time, and over short distances like in system freight runs, ramping up your cargo handling systems can increase speed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9199 on: December 16, 2011, 02:36:27 pm »

I usually just let the civvies handle large movements like that. It can take a while but its (mostly) worry free.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9200 on: December 16, 2011, 03:01:41 pm »

There isn't really a "problem" with getting 100 automines to Io (yes the moon). They problem is sending them when resources are already low so you have few freighters that aren't very large and the need to refuel said freighters during the long number of trips (since you don't have many freighters). The 'refuel at nearest colony' conditional would work, but would interrupt the orders and wipe them out.

Refueling every stop at Earth also works, if I can remember, which, I guess, is the problem. I can't remember and feel like I shouldn't have to. A certain level of micromanagement is what I really love, but when I figure out that I want something to happen auto-magically, it should happen. Like say... if the nifty 'refuel at nearest colony' didn't interrupt the trips.  Yeah... That would be awesome.

Of course, it would then be nice if the conditional didn't interrupt and send the freighter back to Earth when half way on the outbound trip to Io when the freighter is completely capable of making it the rest of the way to Io and back to Earth on the 10% of fuel remaining. Or... figure out that it won't be able to make the next round trip on the 10% of fuel remaining and refuel before it leaves Earth. Which, really, any competent ship captain should be able to figure out on his own. Or is that the problem. Ship captain's in Aurora are complete morons? =D

True... when I get the shipyards up to size and have the resources, building megafreighters to move automines in fewer trips isn't really a problem. Except by then I will probably be moving even larger numbers automines to planets or moons in other systems on longer journeys then the little puddle jump between Earth and Io.

And yes... it needs *MORE* depth! =P  I wanna be able to change the hair color on my 40% bonus propulsion scientist! You just know she's gotta be a sexy red head!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9201 on: December 16, 2011, 03:07:37 pm »

I don't understand.

If you have a freighter which can take 1 mine per trip, put in the following orders:

Refuel at source colony
Pick up 1 automine from source colony
Drop off 1 automine at destination colony

Now hit repeat 99. That's all it takes, and its set for the next ((TripTimeInDays*2*100)/365) years.

If your shipping fleet can carry 2 mines per trip, cut that in half. Etc...

Alternately you can just click the checkmark that cycles the orders and check back later.

Either way the ship will refuel each trip and will eventually get the mines there.

The other way to do it, if you have health civilian shipping. Set a supply contract for 100 autominers at the source and a demand contract for 100 autominers at the destination and any free shipping not trading will take care of it.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: December 16, 2011, 03:29:15 pm »

The move orders become even more cumbersome when moving a genetic, terraformer or research facility from a planet five jumps out. Can anyone remember how many trips in a 25k freighter a research facility is? I can't (I'm old). Oh... and I forgot the refuel at Earth! And why doesn't auto-routing work sometimes (all pops on orders, select colony in system 5 jumps away)?

Seriously, I'm loving the game, as I'm sure many of you are. I just wanna enhance it (I'm a software developer, and an old one that has been doing it for a long long time). I know VB is able to do a lot of what I want in terms of interface widgets and function, I only wish Steve was open to the idea of others working on it (but completely understand him not wanting that).

Something I would love to add... mineral stockpile graphs; I know I have orders that are going to use more then my current stockpile, but nothing shows the monthly accumulation (unless you happen to catch the 'tick' on which the freighters deliver or mineral packets get caught) so I have no idea if I'm 'importing' fast enough to take care of already allocated demand without watching the stockpile number after each interval.  Or maybe someone is writing a third party app to query the database and make graphs?  Hmm... Maybe I have my next project. =D

I'm hoping Steve adds this for Aurora II... Help me, Steve Walmsley. You are my only hope!  =P

Yes... I'll look through the Aurora forums and make sure this suggestion is there (among others).

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: December 16, 2011, 03:29:16 pm »

Quick question, if you have a sorium harvester ship, what commander bonus ramps up production from it? Or is it impossible.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: December 16, 2011, 03:40:35 pm »

If you have a freighter which can take 1 mine per trip, put in the following orders:

Refuel at source colony
Pick up 1 automine from source colony
Drop off 1 automine at destination colony

Now hit repeat 99. That's all it takes, and its set for the next ((TripTimeInDays*2*100)/365) years.

. . .

The other way to do it, if you have health civilian shipping. Set a supply contract for 100 autominers at the source and a demand contract for 100 autominers at the destination and any free shipping not trading will take care of it.

That is what I do. But I also have to take notes about how many automines are leaving Earth, try to calculate how many are going to get made and when, so I can determine how many another freighter that just came online can start taking to Io, and how many lines to remove from the first freighter's orders. By the way... I hate errors, even if they are just of the "can't load installation" kind. Throws off all my notes and plans horribly. Okay not that badly.

And about the civies. . .  They hate me. =P They either wanna take infrastructure and colonists to Mars all year long, or just play cards. Maybe management is waiting for government assistance?  BLEH!  Let them eat cake!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9205 on: December 16, 2011, 03:54:24 pm »

Quick question, if you have a sorium harvester ship, what commander bonus ramps up production from it? Or is it impossible.

It is either mining or factory production. This came up over on the aurora forums a month or so ago, and Steve did eventually check the actual code to determine which it was as he couldn't remember. Do a search for it over there and check Steves posts.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: December 16, 2011, 04:08:26 pm »

I'd wager mining, if you auto-assign, you'll see what the AI puts there.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9207 on: December 16, 2011, 04:15:24 pm »

Are you positive that it applies to fuel harvesters? I've heard that, but according to the wiki mining bonus affects sorium harvesting.  Automated assignments also placed an officer with a 25% mining bonus on a fuel harvester in preference to an officer with 30% factory production bonus.  There seems to be evidence both ways, but the auto assignments at least vouches for mining bonus.

LOL I really should know more about this game. Spending all my time coding or learning physics at the moment rather than playing. I checked the code and the only ship types that using the production bonus are jump gate construction ships and salvage ships.

Steve
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4334.0.html

If I read the thread correctly, sorium harvesters use the mining bonus.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9208 on: December 16, 2011, 04:25:37 pm »

That's what it looks like to me as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9209 on: December 17, 2011, 12:30:40 pm »

Well, since my internet has crapped out, I've been playing Aurora a lot more. Inspired by Redking (at least I think that he was the one who did it), I've been focusing on using only Gauss weaponry for all my ships. The challenge is going to be doubly FUN, since I haven't actually fought any engagements in Aurora. Most of my empires collapse when I get distracted by another game.

Things have been going well so far. Exploration has been halted for now. My exploration ships skimped on the fuel too much, so I constantly had to rescue them. I've learned from my mistakes though. The newest designs can go on full power for more than a year. I have no idea how effective my ships are going to be in combat though. I haven't encountered any other empires or precursors. My latest design, the Rapier, pumps out 20 points of damage every five seconds, with a maximum range of 30k. Not the best, but hopefully they're fast enough to get in range of any enemies. At 7000 tons and more than 6000 km/s, they should be.

Sol-wise, Mars is now perfect habitable, with only an atmospheric pressure of 0.5 atm and a average temperature of 31C. I'm a bit surprised at how little terraforming I had to do. I'm designing some terraforming ships next, so that Venus can become habitable as well, or at least enough so that they can operate the terraforming facilities on their own. I never thought that I would say this, but annoyingly my shipping lines are producing too many cargo haulers. I think it might have something to do with the luxury accommodations I included in my colony ship design. The next version will probably dispose of it.

As I said before, the amount of exploration I've done is negligible, due to the crappy fuel stores of my exploration vessels. Only one system explored so far, and it has no easily habitable planets. Even more annoyingly, the ones that I could possibly terraform are mostly orbiting the other star in the system. The star that is several billion kilometers out from the primary star. AKA the one where the jump point lands you. However, if I ever had a reason to pursue hyper-drive technology, this would be one of them.

Anyways, wish me luck.
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 1347