Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810098 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4830 on: May 14, 2011, 10:25:51 pm »

Check the display options, there's a reduced height mode.

where at?
Game Parameters>Reduced Height Windows.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: May 14, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

thanks.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: May 15, 2011, 03:18:02 pm »

What does making an engine Hyper capable do exactly? I imagine it probably makes it faster, but are there limitations, does it consume extra fuel when turned on, etc?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: May 15, 2011, 03:54:35 pm »

it makes it faster, but it only works far from a star's gravity well, has to be manually activated, and is bigger.

no clue about fuel.

beside binary systems in which a star orbits veeery far from the primary, and perhaps gravitational survey, I don't think it is useful.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: May 15, 2011, 07:44:43 pm »

Man, this game is NOT forgiving if you try to pick it up again after a year.  I just had to redesign a jump ship TWICE, because I thought a tiny ship with a large jump engine would be optimal, but turns out it's the reverse and that it's the SHIP's size which plays the larger role of what can go through...

At least this game doesn't punish you for suboptimal designing.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: May 16, 2011, 02:01:37 am »

Actually, it's both.  Jump ships are limited by the lower of the ship size or the jump engine max size.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: May 16, 2011, 02:31:46 am »

small questions: I saw a brief on geosurvey drones, that they can fly only to targets, waypoints and f anything else fails they fly toward the sol.

I'm planning to use them sooner or later, but I wanted to ask: is there a way to use waypoints to make them traverse jumps/jumpgates?

is there a way to queue geo survey waypoint or to add a waypoint when the survey is finished so that the drone moves toward another planet or is it only possible to use one smaller drone per planet instead of a bigger one loaded with fuel?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: May 16, 2011, 03:15:40 am »

Actually, it's both.  Jump ships are limited by the lower of the ship size or the jump engine max size.
?
IIRC a ship that has a higher mass than it's engine's max size cannot jump at all.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: May 16, 2011, 06:16:21 am »

Yes, obviously, but the problem was that I didn't realize the jump ship had to be of equal or greater size than the ship being ferried.  I had thought that the engine had to be larger than the combined tonnage, and ended up designing a 100K commercial ton jump engine and sticking it on a 35K ship to ferry a 45K salvager.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: May 16, 2011, 07:57:39 am »

I've tried to register on the aurora forum but I've yet to be enabled so bear with me if I ask some newb question right here soooooooo

I see some campaign narrative done with multiple races starting on planet earth. I think one may do that with the sm mode or something, but the thing I'd like to ask is not on how to do that, but it's about them in game: are they autonomous or is the player in charge of them all?

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: May 16, 2011, 08:04:10 am »

are they autonomous or is the player in charge of them all?

They can be set up either way at creation.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: May 16, 2011, 08:18:54 am »

are they autonomous or is the player in charge of them all?

They can be set up either way at creation.

nice! how does them make their design when autonomous? are they autonomous even in that or they fish from some sort of predetermined templates?

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: May 16, 2011, 08:52:27 am »

I've tried to register on the aurora forum but I've yet to be enabled so bear with me if I ask some newb question right here soooooooo

I see some campaign narrative done with multiple races starting on planet earth. I think one may do that with the sm mode or something, but the thing I'd like to ask is not on how to do that, but it's about them in game: are they autonomous or is the player in charge of them all?

I registered 8 or 9 days ago and I'm STILL waiting to get enabled to post on their forums.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4843 on: May 16, 2011, 09:22:13 am »

Yeah, I don't think the registration process is quite what it says. I've been able to post and still haven't had any registration emails.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: May 16, 2011, 09:33:03 am »

Yeah, I don't think the registration process is quite what it says. I've been able to post and still haven't had any registration emails.

duh, you're right. I've tried and I'm in. That's what I get to being naive and believing in emails, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1347