Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810096 times)

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4815 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:11 pm »

Out of curiosity, is there any automation for scouts? I understand the fun of the game is doing so many things yourself, but once expanded it seems to get a bit tedious.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: May 13, 2011, 12:19:12 am »

Out of curiosity, is there any automation for scouts? I understand the fun of the game is doing so many things yourself, but once expanded it seems to get a bit tedious.
Task Groups>Special Orders>Default Orders (Left side)>Primary>Survey nearest XXXX

There you go.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: May 13, 2011, 02:34:07 pm »

Task Groups>Special Orders>Default Orders (Left side)>Primary>Survey nearest XXXX

There you go.
It has a range a range of 10 billion km though. If there aren't any of the specified in that range it doesn't move and send you a message complaining. That said, setting geosurveys to survey nearest body is pretty pratical if you don't plan using that sector in the near future. They will just scan everything in the system and message when they're finished (or if there aren't any bodies in the 10b km range), which saves a lot of labor.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: May 13, 2011, 07:45:11 pm »

Question about salvaging ships. If I salvage some ship parts from a wreck and bring them back to my ship building planet, will any ships that I build that have those parts in their design use those instead of building new ones from scratch?

EDIT: A question about contracts as well. How would I go about getting the civilian sector to transport some mines for me? I see the supply/demand selections, and I'm not sure how they work.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:19:07 pm by Vorbicon »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4819 on: May 13, 2011, 08:43:41 pm »

When you build a ship at the shipyard, it checks for available parts and uses those - so yes. As long as it is exactly the same part.

You can also build the parts in advance with your industry, which cuts the time to build ships in shipyards down tremendously.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4820 on: May 13, 2011, 08:58:04 pm »

EDIT: A question about contracts as well. How would I go about getting the civilian sector to transport some mines for me? I see the supply/demand selections, and I'm not sure how they work.
Set a 'supply' of the mines on the planet you want them picked up, and a 'demand' for the mines on the planet you want them dropped off. You cannot directly order the civilian fleet around but they will move goods from supply locations to demand locations on their own.

For example, you could create a 'supply' of 1000 infrastructure on your homeworld and start your industry building the 1000 infrastructure, then set 'demands' of 200 infrastructure each on 5 different worlds. The civilian fleet will work it out, spreading the 1000 infra over those worlds as they are completed.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: May 13, 2011, 09:07:49 pm »

About salvaging again. Say I salvage some tech from an alien ship that's more advanced than what I have. Can I utilize this in my research somehow?

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: May 13, 2011, 09:57:59 pm »

About salvaging again. Say I salvage some tech from an alien ship that's more advanced than what I have. Can I utilize this in my research somehow?
In addition to recovering parts from wrecks you can also recover RP, those can be downloaded to your research DB by taking them back to a planet with labs.

However, you can also "Disassemble" parts (from the Stockpile panel of the industry window). If you disassemble something you don't have the techs for, you gain RP in addition to the minerals you usually get from disassembling something. The only thing this doesn't work for is missiles, which is a damned shame since I regularly find Precursor ammo dumps full of high-tech missiles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4823 on: May 13, 2011, 10:51:29 pm »

Please note: You want to disassemble these recovered components at the colony where you will be doing the research. The RP you gain is colony-specific, as all research is, so if you do something silly like disassembling them out on Pluto then you'd best be prepared to ship labs and people out to pluto!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: May 14, 2011, 01:20:20 am »

In addition to recovering parts from wrecks you can also recover RP, those can be downloaded to your research DB by taking them back to a planet with labs.

However, you can also "Disassemble" parts (from the Stockpile panel of the industry window). If you disassemble something you don't have the techs for, you gain RP in addition to the minerals you usually get from disassembling something. The only thing this doesn't work for is missiles, which is a damned shame since I regularly find Precursor ammo dumps full of high-tech missiles.

But you can still use the Precursor missiles in your ships!  (probably)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: May 14, 2011, 03:06:34 am »

Yes you can.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: May 14, 2011, 09:26:30 pm »

Nothing quite as satisfying and finding a jackpot planet. The smallest resource deposit is 310k, next biggest are 5 and 6 million and the rest are in the 20-80 million range. And all with nice accessibility. Too bad it sucks for colonizing, but it's only 1 jump away from Sol.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:01 pm »

Mother fucker.

Just got in to ship designing, and my monitor is too small for it.

>:I

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: May 14, 2011, 10:05:03 pm »

Check the display options, there's a reduced height mode.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: May 14, 2011, 10:10:03 pm »

Check the display options, there's a reduced height mode.

where at?
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1347