Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812599 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4125 on: April 04, 2011, 03:06:33 pm »

Now if only my civvie fleet would stop spamming me with detection notices about my allies. 75% of my civvie fleet is running goods inside their space (which is making them a ton of cash - they're up to 14 ships), and every time they hit a world, it's like "Dude, we totally saw 14 small frigates (which each get their own line entry, of course) and 4 PDCs (ditto) there! Yes, they're the same ones that we saw last time we were here, but we're going to keep announcing it every time we drop off stuff here!"
I am positively sure that there is an option somewhere to turn off civilian (or was it all) detection spam on a per-system basis.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: April 04, 2011, 03:08:26 pm »

Story
Those Spectres must have been pretty big ships  :o.

How did you get the systems on your galactic map to spread out rather than sitting in one blob at the center? All of the systems on my map are stacked on the Sol system.

E: Nevermind, figured it out

How do you do it cheese?

What Greenbane said, you need to organise them yourselves, drag them off the stack with shift-click then click sys-pos and save the positions when you're done. I think that's actually a pretty neat feature.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: April 05, 2011, 03:46:35 am »

What are these new beam weapons? Madness... how does a particle fit in the game? Isn't the role filled by lasers already?

(bump)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4128 on: April 05, 2011, 04:14:01 am »

What are these new beam weapons? Madness... how does a particle fit in the game? Isn't the role filled by lasers already?

(bump)
Lasers are made of light which act like both a wave and a particle!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: April 05, 2011, 04:31:07 am »

No. Particles' damage does not drop off with range. Lasers do. Lasers can fit unto turrets, Particles can't. They're quite different.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: April 05, 2011, 09:20:50 am »

Three NPRs so close to Sol? Did you tinker with the generation settings and/or galaxy size? Or was it pure, blind "luck"?

Nah, defualt 1000 system, 30% NPR generation chance. All 'luck' here.

Now if only my civvie fleet would stop spamming me with detection notices about my allies. 75% of my civvie fleet is running goods inside their space (which is making them a ton of cash - they're up to 14 ships), and every time they hit a world, it's like "Dude, we totally saw 14 small frigates (which each get their own line entry, of course) and 4 PDCs (ditto) there! Yes, they're the same ones that we saw last time we were here, but we're going to keep announcing it every time we drop off stuff here!"

Quote from:  ThtblovesDF
Curses Alstar, making me play again!

Once you get past the user-hostile interface, it really is a great game. Since I'm currently not working, I've probably put in 100 hours in the past couple of weeks.

Heh, your problem caused the game designer to ask for help from the community.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:43 am »

No. Particles' damage does not drop off with range. Lasers do. Lasers can fit unto turrets, Particles can't. They're quite different.

Also, particle beam size and range are completely independent.  You can have tiny long-range ones and large short-range ones.  I don't recommend the latter, since they're weaker than other beam weapons.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: April 05, 2011, 06:09:11 pm »

How do I get my 1 ship with a jump drive to ferry my 2 geo survey ships? Also, can you designate a ship to stay at a jump point and ferry ships automatically?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: April 05, 2011, 06:12:56 pm »

How do I get my 1 ship with a jump drive to ferry my 2 geo survey ships?
Get them in the same Taskgroup. Also make sure that the jump ship is large enough, and that if the jumpdrive is commercial, the geosurvey ships' engines are commercial.

Also, can you designate a ship to stay at a jump point and ferry ships automatically?
I don't think so.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: April 05, 2011, 06:20:26 pm »

O... So I have to have commercial jump ship and delete my task group every time I want to ferry them?....

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4135 on: April 05, 2011, 06:22:15 pm »

Another possibility is equipping your survey command ships with hangar decks/boat bays sufficient to dock your survey ships. I have three survey command ships each capable of docking 2 of my standard survey ships. The command ships act as supply ships and tankers for the survey ships and each command ship has its own jump drive. They transit the jump point, launch the survey ships and wait then pick them up, resupply them, and move on.

They also have some token anti-missile defenses but nothing that would stand up to an attack, and they have the best active/passive sensors I can make so they can hopefully spot trouble before trouble spots them.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: April 05, 2011, 06:25:24 pm »

O... So I have to have commercial jump ship.
No. Either type is fine. It's just that commercial jump drives will not work with military engines on the same ship it's on or other ships with military engines.

And delete my task group every time I want to ferry them?....
After you've transferred them, yes.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: April 05, 2011, 07:01:25 pm »

Also, can you designate a ship to stay at a jump point and ferry ships automatically?
I don't think so.

Yes, you can. If there's a vessel with the correct jump drive type and tonnage allowance parked on the jump point, ships will be able to use it for standard transit from that side. Alternatively, you can include the jumpship in a TG and have it provide standard jump support, or squadron transit capabilities if the drive can take the number of ships in the group.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4138 on: April 05, 2011, 07:08:51 pm »

Or just build a jumpgate. Its free, just takes some time.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11:33 pm »

Of course, jump ships are only a temporary measure. But when building a jump gate, you also have to consider those can be used by friend and foe alike. You should naturally build a JG network to connect your colonies, but it's unadvisable to gate everywhere you go.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1347