Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812545 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4140 on: April 05, 2011, 09:13:10 pm »

Of course, jump ships are only a temporary measure. But when building a jump gate, you also have to consider those can be used by friend and foe alike. You should naturally build a JG network to connect your colonies, but it's unadvisable to gate everywhere you go.
I tend to leave large orbital forts at my jump points leading into populated systems anyway, so anyone hostile would have to fight their way in, then fight their way past the forts on the other side, and only then would they encounter my defending fleets.

The 'forts' are little more than armored missile platforms really. Massive launchers, magazines, missile defense.

I also leave them at important areas like my orbital fuel refineries and asteroid supply depots. They've been fairly effective so far at deterring any interest in crossing into my space. I'm sure they show up as big scary blips on sensors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: April 06, 2011, 07:05:39 pm »

Also, can you designate a ship to stay at a jump point and ferry ships automatically?
I don't think so.

Yes, you can. If there's a vessel with the correct jump drive type and tonnage allowance parked on the jump point, ships will be able to use it for standard transit from that side. Alternatively, you can include the jumpship in a TG and have it provide standard jump support, or squadron transit capabilities if the drive can take the number of ships in the group.

so... I DON'T have to reassign task groups (TGs) to make TGs without jump drives jump? I just have to tell them to do a standard transit and have a jump capable ship there?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4142 on: April 06, 2011, 07:30:23 pm »

Should be a quick test to confirm it for yourself but that does seem to be what he's saying.

If that's the case though you don't even need to build jump gates, you could build stationary 'ships' with jump drives, tow them to the jump points and have them act like jumpgates while mounting a defense and not allowing enemies to pass through. :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: April 06, 2011, 07:38:11 pm »

Civilian shiplines are too stupid to use such a method.  You need jumpgates for your civilian economy.  But don't let it compromise your security.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4144 on: April 06, 2011, 07:46:11 pm »

Civilian shiplines are too stupid to use such a method.  You need jumpgates for your civilian economy.  But don't let it compromise your security.
So jumpgates between colonies and ship-gates for secure jump points where civilian shipping shouldn't be going anyway.

Or just build civilian ships with jump drives?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: April 06, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »

so... I DON'T have to reassign task groups (TGs) to make TGs without jump drives jump? I just have to tell them to do a standard transit and have a jump capable ship there?

Yep, that's right.

(...)Or just build civilian ships with jump drives?

Ships of the civilian sector travel exclusively through jump gates. They don't use jump drives.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4146 on: April 06, 2011, 09:07:33 pm »

Ships of the civilian sector travel exclusively through jump gates. They don't use jump drives.
Even if their design includes a jump drive? I didn't know that. Well that kills that idea.

So you'd want jumpgates only on 'safe' jump points between secure systems then, and stations jump fortress ships on border points.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: April 06, 2011, 09:29:50 pm »

At the minimum, you should have a one-sector buffer between systems connected by jumpgate and any NPR.  The warp aliens can destroy you no matter what, so don't worry too much about them.   :P

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: April 06, 2011, 10:40:29 pm »

What would be a good method for finding a jump point? I sent an asteroid miner out to waypoints on the fringe of the solar system looking for some while my exploration ships are building but there's really been no luck so far.

As an aside, I totally blew my design for the miners, they are slow as balls and it took me forever to find out how actually make them mine. They're just supposed to sit on a colony and automatically mine, right?

I can't wait for the first NPR I come across to be an evil sonnovabitch and lay waste to my "empire", I've only just built my first warship, which is a corvette that takes a year and a half to build.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: April 06, 2011, 10:42:23 pm »

What would be a good method for finding a jump point? I sent an asteroid miner out to waypoints on the fringe of the solar system looking for some while my exploration ships are building but there's really been no luck so far.
You need to put Gravitational Sensors on a ship and search Survey points. Just sending asteroid miners out randomly does absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:45:33 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4150 on: April 06, 2011, 11:15:13 pm »

To put it bluntly,  you're doing it wrong. Research Jump Point Theory, research gravitational survey sensors, make a tiny ship with 1 engine, 1 fuel tank, 1 bridge, 2 grav survey sensors and whatever life support is necessary then pop that out and give it the primary order 'survey next 3 system locations'. It will run around surveying every jump point location until they're all done.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: April 07, 2011, 11:00:53 am »

Doh. I get it now. That poor asteroid miner won't be near any mining colonies for the next two months.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: April 07, 2011, 03:31:21 pm »

Aurora is the sort of game where if it was a comercial game... the instruction manual would need to be shipped in seperately.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: April 07, 2011, 03:34:00 pm »

On that note, how the hell do I build missiles? My missile window only shows ICBMs but I just designed like 3 missile types.. My new corvettes are gonna need 'em..
Yeah yeah yeah!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: April 07, 2011, 03:36:30 pm »

Make sure you've researched them. Afterwards, go to Economics/Populations window>Industry>Left drop-down>Missiles. Start build'in.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1347