Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812596 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4110 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:25 am »

In an effort to get this thread back on track... (edit: ah, looks like someone managed it before me - serves me right for writing a short story :p)

Here's the Human Empire, circa 2053:

Sol sits in the middle of a circle of systems. In the centre of this circle is The Core - Tau Ceti, Sol and Proxima Centauri. These worlds make up 99.6% of all Human population, with Earth, Mars, Proxima Centauri II and Tau Ceti III (all terraformed to 0.00 cost) being the largest worlds. New colonies at Cotman, to exploit a naturally low-cost world, and Vernon, to exploit a low cost world that also houses ruins, are just starting up. Another colony is planned for Galloway’s Star, which contains a ruined base, bought at great cost from Precursor guards.

The Battles of Galloway’s Star

Galloway’s Star has been the source of much woe for the military. Discovered fairly early in the history of the Empire, a full grav survey of the system was conducted, showing no other jump points, but a number of planets, one of which looked promising for colonizing, were found and a geosurvey was planned. Jump gates were constructed, but no sooner had the survey craft started to approach one of the planets of the inner system when it detected a massively powerful targeting computer locking on to its location. It tried to flee, but was blown to pieces mere minutes later.

The untested Human fleet, 6 Spectre Mk1s, each armed with 50 missile launchers, jumped into the system, ready to avenge their fallen comrade. They detected three large ships, each twice as massive their own. With a savage delight, the Human ships closed to 34 million clicks from the enemy ships and attempted to launch their missiles… only to discover, to their horror, that massively strong ECM emanated from the craft – they would need to close to a mere 20 million clicks to fire. Sadly, at more than 25 million clicks, huge volleys of enemy missiles started raining down on the defenseless fleet. There were no survivors.

Years later, the new Human fleet, 6 Spectre Mk2s, armed with both the launchers of the Mk 1s as well as 5 CIWS each, to protect from their missiles, approached the system. To their surprise, the enemy was not detected. Puzzled, they moved to the planet where the original survey ship had been destroyed. Upon reaching orbit, two previously hidden ground bases opened fire on the fleet. The fleet scrambled to respond, but the bases were armed with scores of lasers, firing dozens of shots every second. Metal turned to steam, as the fleet was melted to slag. All crew perished.

Years later, the new Human fleet, 6 Spectre Mk3s, which boasted new engines, approached the system. This fleet ran into the massive ships which had killed the Mk1s. Knowing their missiles were useless beyond 20 million clicks; they advanced into the teeth of the enemy. Missiles pounded the fleet as it approached, and soon nearly the entire fleet was broken into separate pieces as missiles blasted armor and destroyed engines and internal systems. However, the fleet pressed on, and four ships reached that magical line in the sand and 200 missiles launched on the enemy ships. The missiles hit, and two of the Precursor ships slowed – a sure sign that they too had taken heavy damage. But then the next round of Precursor missiles hit the fleet, taking one more ship and causing another to eject most of its ordinance as one of its magazines exploded. 150 missiles went out, and one of the Precursor behemoths exploded, and another slowed to a mere crawl at only 1000 km/s.  However, the final enemy ship appeared undamaged, and still closed with the severely damaged fleet at a monstrous 7000 km/s. Their magazines nearly empty, two Human ships readied their final shots as yet another Precursor volley headed toward them. Thankfully, it was only a shadow of its former self, and the now elite Human crews, forged in nuclear fire, were able to shoot down nearly all incoming shots, and the few that got through was absorbed by the buckling armor of their ships. 18 missiles headed out from the Human fleet, and the captains of the ships ordered their crews to head back to the jump point, knowing in their hearts that they would be overtaken and destroyed. But – a miracle! – after just a few missiles hit, a giant secondary explosion rocked the Precursor vessel – an engine had gone critical, and with an eye-tearing flash, nothing remained.

The crews cheered as their ships, all suffering from various amounts of internal damage, turned back towards Sol for repair and resupply.

It would take a few months, but the three survivors returned to the system, easily dispatched the lone Precursor ship, then orbited the deadly world beyond the reach of the Precursor beam weapons, raining death down on the PDCs.

To the North of the Empire is the Augsburg Commune. Despite early tensions when the Commune destroyed an Empire jumpgate construction ship, communication flourished between the two species, and they are now counted as allies.

To the North-East of the Empire are the Corfinium Republic and the Bandar Seri Begawan Aristocracy. The Republic owns only a single world, and has not yet discovered interstellar flight. The Empire has future plans to land several brigades of troops to ‘teach’ these natives the benefits of Empire technology and joining the Empire. The Aristocracy is currently neutral, but there is a large ruin (over 100 installations) on one of the Aristocracy planets, so the Empire is debating the merits of war.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: April 04, 2011, 09:08:03 am »

Neat story!

Three NPRs so close to Sol? Did you tinker with the generation settings and/or galaxy size? Or was it pure, blind "luck"?

I'm finding that the standard 1000-system setup is far too vast. I've explored close to 50 systems and have only found Precursors and ruins here and there. And one Star Swarm system I'm proud to say I've thoroughly cleansed.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:12:45 am by Greenbane »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:30 am »

Story
Those Spectres must have been pretty big ships  :o.

How did you get the systems on your galactic map to spread out rather than sitting in one blob at the center? All of the systems on my map are stacked on the Sol system.

E: Nevermind, figured it out
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:39:04 am by Cheese »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: April 04, 2011, 12:39:35 pm »

Curses Alstar, making me play again!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: April 04, 2011, 12:44:04 pm »

Three NPRs so close to Sol? Did you tinker with the generation settings and/or galaxy size? Or was it pure, blind "luck"?

Nah, defualt 1000 system, 30% NPR generation chance. All 'luck' here.

Now if only my civvie fleet would stop spamming me with detection notices about my allies. 75% of my civvie fleet is running goods inside their space (which is making them a ton of cash - they're up to 14 ships), and every time they hit a world, it's like "Dude, we totally saw 14 small frigates (which each get their own line entry, of course) and 4 PDCs (ditto) there! Yes, they're the same ones that we saw last time we were here, but we're going to keep announcing it every time we drop off stuff here!"

Quote from:  ThtblovesDF

Once you get past the user-hostile interface, it really is a great game. Since I'm currently not working, I've probably put in 100 hours in the past couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:49:17 pm by AlStar »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: April 04, 2011, 12:55:51 pm »

Oh I've played before and enjoyed it a lot, but got to frustrated with the "Error 120831" spam and having to pass several months worth of time in 5-sec increments because somewhere, someone is chucking missiles at a rock.

Might go for a more satellite heavy fleet this time (Btw, putting a high sensor power one into that system might help you deal with the civ-spam) and will try the drop-pod/boarding deal again... after violating a ship with missles and then microwaving it, of course. Still needs pretty high speed and making fighters load troops from the mothership to ram them into the enemy ship is a pain...

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: April 04, 2011, 01:08:05 pm »

A lot of those errors are gone now, Tht. I played when they were rampant. Seen only a couple DAO errors in the latest version, and had a game eaten by 60-second intervals, but that's it.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: April 04, 2011, 01:08:58 pm »

Quote from:  ThtblovesDF
Once you get past the user-hostile interface, it really is a great game. Since I'm currently not working, I've probably put in 100 hours in the past couple of weeks.

Yea, I first played last year but lost interest after getting stuck with a few things but now I've come back to it, I'm seriously loving it. Has anyone read some of the fiction(Basically LPs with roleplay and only a few pics) on the aurora forums? Steve's Trans-Newtonian campaign is pretty epic, big twist in the sixth part and lots of good tips for combat and various other things.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: April 04, 2011, 01:12:28 pm »

Everyone of his fictions are awesum.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: April 04, 2011, 01:26:51 pm »

Story
Those Spectres must have been pretty big ships  :o.

How did you get the systems on your galactic map to spread out rather than sitting in one blob at the center? All of the systems on my map are stacked on the Sol system.

E: Nevermind, figured it out

How do you do it cheese?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: April 04, 2011, 01:35:58 pm »

Hold Shift and click & drag the systems. Remember to click on Sys Pos (one of the upper buttons) and save positions. Otherwise they'll reset next time you open the Galaxy Map.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: April 04, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »

Wow, AlStar, you sure were determined to win that system. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: April 04, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »

Once you get past the user-hostile interface

I rarely had the "pleasure" of handling a interface that outright declairs war on the user.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: April 04, 2011, 03:03:06 pm »

Wow, AlStar, you sure were determined to win that system. :P

Spoils of war - we managed to upgrade our engine (40,000 RPs) and missile launcher (8,000 RPs) tech a full generation when the salvage ships came back home. Also got a couple thousand in ECM and sensor tech - not to mention the 1,000s of minerals from the wrecks (both Precursor and our own.) And that's without getting engineers down to the ruins and possibly getting some more tech there.

Sure, having to rebuild the entire fleet three times over wasn't fun, but I saved myself years in research.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: April 04, 2011, 03:05:55 pm »

Plus who knows they could have access to some unresearchable technology.

Goodness I'd love to create suggestion lists for some alien unresearchable tech.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 1347