Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33

Author Topic: Sparkgear IX - Revenge of Sparkgear [Magma flood in progress. Blame the Spoon]  (Read 55946 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear IX - Revenge of Sparkgear [Signups for week 2 now open.]
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2010, 01:51:04 pm »

Eerie oracle voice: "IIII WAAARNNED YOOOUUUUUUUUU...."
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2010, 02:24:36 pm »

Fort is perfectly playable and in good shape, just might want to open up the signup slots a little earlier next week (also the Community Game forum is a little glutted with succession games at the moment).

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2010, 03:08:16 pm »

OK, I'll plan on sparkin' some gears tonight.  Will be starting late, but not to worry; I'm on vacation, so I have all day tomorrow to work with the save.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:18:02 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »

GAH! long day! alright! I will be playing for the REST of the day now! *grabs save*. Alright lets see....

Projects planned: Perpetual motion machine, used to potentially power a flood mechanism to flood the entrance/entire fort in case things go up in flames.

EDIT1: well without water thats looking no good.

Beginning narraration, this is my first succession fort, so forgive poor writing, and playing ;)

11, Timber, 305
Hello, my name is Zeffrin. Zeffrin Idenabir. I'm a seige operator. Well little did I know that that was all about to change...
I was awoken today by a dwarf named Labreck Rithostukugut. He said, "Hey Zeffrin, since you are a seige operator, and we are under seige, me and my buddies who used to run the fort were thinking. Wouldn't a seige operator be best able to handle a seige?". "Well", I replied "I suppose, but what about the other seiges that all of you were able to pull through? you all did just fine, why the big change now?". "Ahh well..." said Labreck "Things are different, and we are getting old, so we thought we would pass the hat to someone young, someone fresh! someone new!". "Well I'm honored sir but..." And Labreck inturripted me exclaiming "Great! so you'll do it! Fortunatly there isnt any paperwork to sign, so I hope you enjoy your new post! Later!".
And with that he dissapeared into the mess of dwarves, leaving me with the fortress plans, and a mound mess of confustion.

upon further inspection of the plans, I noticed that a number of dwarves did not have beds. Well That had to change and so I decided to put up some mining designations for new beds. (screenshots will come later, I am playing on a desktop with no internet and posting from a laptop with internet. its a long story).

3rd, moonstone, early winter, 305.

Well we have been under seige for awhile, and the humans don't seem to move. Well, we ran out of beds. After placing three of them I discovered that we had no more. Looks like a lot of dwarves will be either getting married, or bunking on the floor. Oh well, least I have a room. Speaking of, why dont I "upgrade" my room a bit. Not quite sure what I was thinking when I designed it...

On another note, I am seeing a bunch of levers, but don't know what they do. I shall take it upon myself to find out what each one does, in the only way I know how: by pulling them. However I will station some troops near the drawbridge opening for when it opens and the humans come flooding in...

15th Moonstone

Had my room cleared of all rubble. I want a clean room dammit! Also I reassigned people to general roles that most matched their skills.

BEHOLD! ORGANIZATION IN THE JOBS!!!

Sorta...

12 Opal

I have decided to take over a mason's workshop. I have something amazing in mind. They will see. They will ALL see. But I MUST have shells! Give me shells!

23rd, Opal. The "Mayor", as if to undermine my authority, has mandated that "certain goods" be made. Hah! To hell with "certain goods!" I want my shells! Along with a few OTHER goods! (like logs, crystal glass, tanned hides, and anything else.

On an unrelated note, the military has gathered around me, for some reason. Perhaps they are waiting to be inspired by what I am planning...

6th obsidian.
These fools cannot provide me with the final ingrediant...raw crystal glass...is it so much to ask for for just ONE little piece of it? I mean how hard can it be to create potash, then pearlash? How much longer must I wait for what I desire? all labors are OFF until I get what I want- no what I need!

My wife, Cerol Ushilmomus thinks I'm crazy, and promises to pile drive me throughly when I am done with this "nonsense" Well...we shall see what kind of "piledriving" she will do, when she sees what I plan on making! She thinks she can boss me around just because she is a wrestler in the military, HAH!

15th, obsidian.
Still waiting for that crystal glass...I missed my wife giving birth today. But not even that compares to the awesomeness that is what I am planning on making!

1st Granite
Spring has arrived. Whoop a dee doo. Still no raw crystal glass. Seriously how incompetant can these dwarves be. They havent even started making the potash!

3rd Granite

AHh! I've had enough of these incompetant fools! Their incompetance is insufferable! They shall pay for their inability to bring me crystal glass with their lives!

but before I go, I must issue one final order: ALL LEVERS BE PULLED!!!!

You think your a BIG man Mr. Axe dwarf?! Well Ill show you! you...you...you...DIIIIIEEEEEEE

(This is where I end since my avatar is dead. However is someone wants to complete my room for me, that would be cool, cuz my "wife" and "kids" are still alive and could use it to ease the loss of their husband/father). use your imagination when building it though.

Really I hope the levers don't do anything TOO bad  :-\

Save is here
http://www.mediafire.com/?zzmzzdwztgn
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:32:12 pm by Zeffrin »
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2010, 10:09:39 pm »

The levers are all labeled with (N)otes.  There are duplicates.

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2010, 10:23:53 pm »

opps....yeah. well I figured that since my avatar went crazy, he should go crazy with style! and by that I mean pulling levers.

Anyways Ill have the file uploaded shortly, feel free to look around. not much changed. Feel free to go back one step, if I messed up anything important.

save is here.
http://www.mediafire.com/?zzmzzdwztgn
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:32:35 pm by Zeffrin »
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2010, 11:58:12 pm »

Oh man, this should be a fun mess to clean up... let's crack this thing open and see what 'Kuzzles' has to deal with... if she's still alive.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:34:08 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2010, 12:00:22 am »

Okay, here's a map archive link from my turn: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7793-sparkgearix

Sorry it took me so long.  I'm particularly proud of those new fortifications, though.  I might go so far as to argue that they're the best possible fortifications ever.

(edit: even if the entrance to said fortifications is goofy as hell and pretty unnecessarily so.  sorry about that)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:07:29 am by nil »

aurixdarastrix

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here, move along
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2010, 12:27:07 am »

...A Sparkgear has easy to claim open slots.  And my only computer that can play DF at more than 30fps with 10 dwarfs on a 2x2 embark?  NOT WORKING.  I lack words obscene enough to properly express my resentment.  Still though, seems to be turning out well.  Best worst of luck to you all your dwarfs. 
[INTERMITTENTLY_ACTIVE]

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2010, 12:37:59 am »

There's some... interesting changes to our farming industry, I've noticed.  Almost every farm is disabled for spring, and almost every farmer has been assigned Pump Operating which they hold in higher priority than actual farming.  The save starts with 70 plants to feed a population of 57.  Looks like I know what I need to fix first!

EDIT:  Huh.  The door to the butcher's shop was forbidden, too.  I'm starting to suspect sabotage *shifty eyes*
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:27:54 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2010, 12:56:06 am »

Just out of curiosity, nil, why didn't you just modify the existing arena to use for archery training? The reason there's no engravings on one side of the little room they drop into was to allow fortifications to be carved. That area's all set up to process the bodies, with the three craftsdwarves workshops right next to it, no hauling required. (Not criticizing, just curious.)

Also, you didn;t add a POI for the loopy corridors just south of the arena. Is there a purpose to those, or are they just for burial?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:59:54 am by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2010, 01:12:56 am »

Just out of curiosity, nil, why didn't you just modify the existing arena to use for archery training? The reason there's no engravings on one side of the little room they drop into was to allow fortifications to be carved. That area's all set up to process the bodies, with the three craftsdwarves workshops right next to it, no hauling required. (Not criticizing, just curious.)
Heh, I didn't realize that's what it was supposed to be; thought it was more of an execution thing.  Enemies won't (usually) be worth much in a fight after a 3-z-level fall...

But, a solution: a person could channel out the floors above where you intended to have the marksdwarf stand, use walls/doors to make a room there, lock him in and force him to shoot at prisoners with all the unstacked bolts from the firing range above it.  Would be a great way to get some extra training out of some bolts that are otherwise nearly useless.
Also, you didn;t add a POI for the loopy corridors just south of the arena. Is there a purpose to those, or are they just for burial?

Yeah, in hindsight I regret making that much excess stone, but the idea was to have a cave-like burial area.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:17:33 am by nil »

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2010, 01:35:27 am »

There's some... interesting changes to our farming industry, I've noticed.  Almost every farm is disabled for spring, and almost every farmer has been assigned Pump Operating which they hold in higher priority than actual farming.  The save starts with 70 plants to feed a population of 57.  Looks like I know what I need to fix first!

EDIT:  Huh.  The door to the butcher's shop was forbidden, too.  I'm starting to suspect sabotage *shifty eyes*

I didnt do that! I mean the pump operator part....or the farm part! I swear! altho some of the "custom" professions are my handiwork
GENERATION 26:

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2010, 01:51:39 am »

I added farming and pump operating to lots of dwarves, but I don't think I would have given both to anyone.  As far as I'm concerned they fill the same niche in the labors menu: "jobs that don't trigger a mood and are easy to skill up."  There were some dwarves who had pump operating already enabled when I started (I think they were intended to pump actual fluid or something exotic like that) but not many.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2010, 01:56:51 am »

No worries, I turned off all the pumps and all the Pump Operator/Farmer combos, opened the butcher's door, and created two new butcher shops and another kitchen.  Every tile on the underground farms is filled with seeds, but we got as low as 9 plants left and I had no choice but to mass slaughter some horses and donkeys.

While I'm messing around with agriculture, I'm going to get an outdoor farm/greenhouse going.  I can tell from our seed selection that this has been a goal for a while, so I'll see it through for us.

Also, we got a kick-ass artifact fire beetle chitin thong (with a disgusting name).  I'll post a screenshot when I do my narration some time tomorrow.
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33