Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Future Succession Game for New Version  (Read 7657 times)

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
  • Overproducing plump helmets
    • View Profile
Re: Future Succession Game for New Version
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2010, 03:48:29 pm »

Really looking forward to this. Haven't had much luck starting my own forts in the new version. Damn aquifer. *shakes fist at aquifer*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:50:45 pm by Wiiking »
"He's Wiiking. He can do anything." -Metabie
"What Wiiking did was quite smart." -Dare
"Wiiking hits it right on the nail if you ask me." -Nedstar
"Wiiking is supah powah!" -Shotking

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 03:53:55 pm »

Really looking forward to this. Haven't had much luck starting my own forts in the new version. Damn aquifer. *shakes fist at aquifer*

Same here. This current release is riddled with crashes (as expected), and arena mode is supposedly pretty bugged as well. I'm waiting for all the immediate bug fixes before I release the mod or begin the fortress

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2010, 05:27:53 pm »

btw, you might want to pm the participants already so that we won't get massive pauses between players due to forgettings.

[I know I made that word up, but I do not know of a noun for "forget" in the English language. I couldn't come up with a more sensible word.(unless you prefer forgetments.)]

Yeah. No offense but English is a pretty... poor language. You can't even make up your own words that would be grammatically correct!

Stafir Ortnev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 05:44:20 pm »

btw, you might want to pm the participants already so that we won't get massive pauses between players due to forgettings.

[I know I made that word up, but I do not know of a noun for "forget" in the English language. I couldn't come up with a more sensible word.(unless you prefer forgetments.)]

Yeah. No offense but English is a pretty... poor language. You can't even make up your own words that would be grammatically correct!

Forgetfulness
Newbie still learnin the game, don''t mind me.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2010, 06:04:54 pm »

Yea, I should probably get going on that, I don't really have time in the next few immediate days but I will pm them before we start to begin.

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2010, 06:37:11 pm »

Forgetfulness

Oh, but that isn't actually the noun for the event of forgetting something now is it.

Forgetfulness is more like the noun for all the forgetting in general, is it not?

carpfishmantis

• Bay Watcher
  • [SHARK] [FLIER] [SIZE:1600]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:49 pm »

okay, so I'm gonna be in Germany for three weeks starting on the tenth, I'll be back on the 2nd. if you could just put me a little further back in the order if my turn comes up during those three weeks, that'd be awesome, because i still REALLY want to do this.

EDIT: Forgetfulness is a trait that someone has, having a naturally bad memory.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:31:53 pm by carpfishmantis »

Stafir Ortnev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2010, 11:49:52 pm »

Forgetfulness

Oh, but that isn't actually the noun for the event of forgetting something now is it.

Forgetfulness is more like the noun for all the forgetting in general, is it not?

Which at that point you simply put in the type of forgetfulness you want...such as 'player forgetfulness'.

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:00 am »

Yes obviously I COULD do it like that, but that doesn't change the fact that you are still missing the word for the event of forgetting something. :)

But I guess we've derailed this topic far enough.

Stafir Ortnev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 11:05:02 am »

Mostly because the english language dosn't need it, operating on a large part of context for most words (which is a large part of comprehension in the english language).  Just like your forgettings, while awkward and made up, was completely understood.  Forgetfulness would have not been awkward and would have been easily understood as well.

Besides...I don't see the lack of such a word being a reason to call a language poor, when every language in the world lack certain terms and proper ways to introduce them into the language, especially when I've known others to be amuzed and amazed at how easy it is to coin new terms that immediately make sense in the language :P.

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 11:36:09 am »

Well if a language doesn't have a word just because it is not needed, it is in my opinion quite poor. In Finnish we have so many ways of saying the same thing that it might even be quite silly :P We can also craft new words to suit our needs and they will be grammatically acceptable.

I do not know. Perhaps we are the silly ones having way too many different words for things. But after all, what I meant was, that I do not want to rephrase my sentences just because a word doesn't exist. That's not an excuse! :D

And again, I do not mean to offend you or your language. I just wish it was more... flexible.  :)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 12:40:14 pm »

I always thought it was pretty flexible, myself. >.<

Since we take words from everyone else and mess up their pronunciations, and all. :D
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

carpfishmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2010, 08:44:19 pm »

wow, this went off track almost as badly as the old FoTF.

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »

Ok I got through all that aquifer and got a nice fort running but now I've run into another problem.

Someone really has to tell me how I can get my dorfs to spar or train before I get my hands on this one.

I have a squad of five dorfs, all of them wrestlers. I have a barracks which is set for that squad's training and sleeping place. I also tried turning on and off that squad eq thing w/e it is. I have set my dorfs on all kinds of alerts but nothing seems to work.

My militia commander is doing his "individual combat drill" in the barracks but no one else will train :l

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  ???

carpfishmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2010, 06:19:24 pm »

Ok I got through all that aquifer and got a nice fort running but now I've run into another problem.

Someone really has to tell me how I can get my dorfs to spar or train before I get my hands on this one.

I have a squad of five dorfs, all of them wrestlers. I have a barracks which is set for that squad's training and sleeping place. I also tried turning on and off that squad eq thing w/e it is. I have set my dorfs on all kinds of alerts but nothing seems to work.

My militia commander is doing his "individual combat drill" in the barracks but no one else will train :l

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  ???
you have to set the squad to be "active/training" instead of "inactive" for them all to train, otherwise only the more disciplined soldiers will train. but be careful when setting this, because right now they can starve themselves to keep the schedule, which gives them unhappy thoughts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5