Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48133 times)

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: Of Knights and Days. [community]
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2010, 10:23:48 pm »

Could I get in on this? I'll take that weaponsmith Shoveabbey, unless a male jeweler comes in the next wave of immigrants. Rename him Goraillion would you kindly.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2010, 01:05:25 pm »

That puny squire couldnt take all of my awsomeness
Ah, so you subscribe to the Greek school of apprenticeship?
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2010, 01:22:19 pm »

I'll take a dwarf, make him one of the useless ones (ugh milker) and draft him into the military.
Put him into the same squad as Dwarf of Defeats squad and get him to follow him around, awed by the power he has displayed. A disciple I suppose. Works in the same way as a squire i suppose only hes not elite yet...
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2010, 03:52:24 pm »

Okay, I've recovered from the weekend and should be back on a fairly frequent update schedule. Going to answer some posts, hooraaaaay.

That puny squire couldnt take all of my awsomeness
Ah, so you subscribe to the Greek school of apprenticeship?
-J-

Ew :P

I'll take a dwarf, make him one of the useless ones (ugh milker) and draft him into the military.
Put him into the same squad as Dwarf of Defeats squad and get him to follow him around, awed by the power he has displayed. A disciple I suppose. Works in the same way as a squire i suppose only hes not elite yet...

Gotcha. Any name requests? For now I'll go with Ferret until told otherwise.

Could I get in on this? I'll take that weaponsmith Shoveabbey, unless a male jeweler comes in the next wave of immigrants. Rename him Goraillion would you kindly.

Done, and personality screen next update.

I'd like to take a Dwarf, if I could.
Name: Kadzar
Profession: Any

Ditto, put into military to be squire to one of the knights.

The powerful knight was not pleased to hear the news.
http://lemoncat.ytmnd.com/

Hehehehe.

I'll have an update prooobably later tonight. I've got a bit of work to do, but it's about half-done.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2010, 08:08:30 pm »

Finally, the promised update.

---

27th Moonstone, 14~

It is a colder winter than usual in Mightygrips.

The orcs have come better-prepared than last time. They have bows of iron, and have brought much larger numbers. Though we have safely sealed them out, our attempts at a proactive defense have ended disastrously.

To first recount our autumn, we were at the height of our prosperity sincec setting foot in this hell nearly four years ago. The caravan from Swallowedglazed, the capital, was more than impressed with our wealth, and for finally bringing the metal we requested so frequently, we rewarded them handsomely.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dastot Danglelanterns, the peasant wife of Udil the milker and mother of a second child this year, was also possessed with the same strange work ethic that created so many of the castle’s ancient relics and grabbed the most expensive objects she could find, eventually creating  helm of goblin bone. Worth 91800 – an impressive sum. Unlike the deer bone mask of a few years ago, this is heartening rather than unnerving.

Jyrvus has handed all his former mining duties to Sazir, who’s become incredibly good, and now continues to mine out the moat with his on apprentices. Now working entirely in the forges, Jyrvus has resigned himself to smelting new iron bars with his new partner Goraillion Shoveabbeys, the weaponsmith.

We’ve also had two peasants, by the names of Ferret and Kadzar, request to join the military.

They’ve been sent off to spar, but…  I’m only delaying mentioning the inevitable. The orcs’ arrival has not gone so well as last year.

Bodark had ordered me to release management of the military system and allow Sir Sulvor to be the castle’s military leader. I had no problem with that – he was the only dwarf level-headed enough to balance Angron’s inner rage, Grath’s slow-thinking, Nalar’s independence, and Randall’s pride. The knights were a varied bunch, and coupled with the high archers Sparta and Ubik, a force to be reckoned with.

Despite Sulvor’s new control over the military, he was still required to answer to someone – thus he laid out and went over his plan with me. It was quite good – get one archer up on the walls at each corner around the entrance, with ammo stockpiles directly behind them. As the archers fired upon the melee warriors, the drawbridge would be lowered and the knights would rush out, taking out the orc snipers first to keep the archers safe. I approved, had the miners dig out the other side of the entry courtyard to use it as a military battleground, and built a second drawbridge for protection. The knights drank up, had a hearty last meal, then took their positions prepared for battle. I was nervous for Gale – this was her first fight – but under Sulvor’s eye she would be well-protected.

It was then that I heard a cry from the walls. I looked around, to see who was missing – It was Sparta, who was not by Ubik’s side as she usually was. I ran to Ubik. “Where’s Sparta?”

The mighty archer looked at me, blinking, then looked around. “I do not know, sir,” she muttered, ever stoic. “I had thought she was sleeping, but now I recall she had not attended Sir Sulvor’s battle briefing.”

“Positions! Now! Everybody, go, go!” I was panicking. One dwarf had died until my management, whether it was my fault or not. I had enough on my conscience without losing one of our most important soldiers.

We all ran to the gates – myself included. But as we approached, I heard another cry, more pained than before—and a spatter of blood shot across my face. Horrified, I turned to the top of the walls.

She had been murdered by an orc sniper, while bravely holding them off – in fact, she had shot down nearly an entire squad of orcs by herself.

We named her murderer Soldierwraith and vowed to kill him. But not now. The orcs’ sniper squad had surrounded Ubik’s post, and without Sparta to back him up, she wasn’t capable of holding off the entire squad by herself as the knights charged.

“What now, sir?” asked Angron, uncharacteristically quiet.

I sighed. “Cancel the attack. We’ve lost enough already.”

“And what of the… her body?”

“I don’t know a dwarf fast enough to get it off the walls with those orcs there. I don’t think we can get her down.”

I was met with silence.

“What are you all looking at?” I shouted. “Get back to your posts, soldiers! You have a duty!”

They left, slowly. No dwarf had died since Ingish’s sparring ‘accident,’ but even Randall seemed sombre. It was a day deserved of mourning.

Silently, I walked behind them. I knew I shouldn’t blame myself, but it seemed as though there was no other outcome. I was the one who had told her to get on the walls, and if she had missed Sulvor’s meeting, then…

This would weigh heavy on my conscience, I knew. Forgive me, Sparta Gearcovens, the Calm Tragic Crucification of Swallows.

---

Yeah, so I accidentally passed out while playing through this update and we went straight from first month of autumn to first month of winter as the orcs were sieging. Fortunately we got the bridge up in time (doubly fortunate we had nobody running around outside the fort). On the flip side, we’re bloody hungry. All our plants are getting brewed. I’ve never played without plump helmets before - We need flour milled up!

I’m not sure why Sparta attacked early and got herself killed – I’m thinking she found a long way around walking along the walls and ran past the snipers before she made it to her safely-out-of-the-way station. Argh. The rest of this siege will be a pain to deal with. Perhaps I’ll try out siege weaponry for the first time. The rest of the fort is NOT happy – Sparta had made a whole bunch of friends. I might have a tantrum spiral within the fort and a siege outside! Praise chaos.

Nalar is now a Crusader (elite macedwarf, noting the religious slant) as has the title ‘the Entrancing Nights.’ Ubik is now a Grand Archer (legendary marksdwarf), and Sparta became one mere seconds before her death, so they’re both going on the legendary list as numbers 13 and 14.

Finally, the walls at the end of the year 14. I can’t wait until these are like 10-12 z-levels high.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2010, 10:03:13 pm »

Yeah, so I accidentally passed out while playing

Epic
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Erling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2010, 11:20:52 am »

Rest in peace, Sparta! What a glorious death!

Concerning the siege: oh, it's so familiar to me - to withstand those m#######cking orc snipers! As I prefer to lead a squad of marksdwarves, snipers become the only problem which can interfere my soldiers. Possibly, Sparta had noticed an opportunity to shoot and rushed to use it - and that was her mistake.
I'm really interested in succesion of events during the siege. I wonder how our knights will resist the enemy.

P.S. Fortress is awesome!) It's on the way to become a real stronghold, I suppose.

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »

Ferret is fine as a name for my little guy.

Great Community fort by the way, so keep it up.

It'll be interesting to see how you deal with the siege, on all of my games i build a castle (i'm one of those boring predictable players who always tends to have the same pattern of play :( ) although i hav a side orc/gobbo entrance which is really long and twisty and just post all of my marksdwarves on the walls there.

It works in a terribly efficient, terribly uninteresting way so im hoping to see some inspiration here...
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2010, 05:54:13 pm »

The castle itself looks wonderful, and you plan on making it 10 z levels high. o.O just awesome. I look forward to it.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2010, 07:46:36 pm »

---

20th Opal, 14~

Ubik sits in the sand, idly drawing lines with a stray bolt. She hasn’t seemed to have gotten over the loss of Sparta, whose body we have been unable to retrieve – which was hard enough on us all, so I couldn’t really imagine the pain Ubik was feeling.

It has been nearly a month, and the orcs have not shown the slightest signs of retreating. Based on our last encounter with them, it could be another three months before they left. Admittedly, we’ve nothing out there we need, and as the elves bring nothing worth possessing and the humans are at war with us, we could wait another year with the bridge raised… but it’s hard on morale. For myself as well.

Life isn’t wonderful, but it’s not as miserable as it once was. I’ve been plotting out the land to build the hovels, though we won’t be able to start construction until the orcs have left us alone. Irwin and Morul, our bone carver, have married. I didn’t even know they were dating. I suppose it’s not that unlike Irwin to be attracted to someone who chisels bones into cute little toys for a living. I myself have been… perhaps feeling a little fond of a recent migrant, Sodel Steelheals the carpenter. She dropped into my office the other day just to say hi. It was the first visit I’ve had in four years that wasn’t business-related. I’ll admit I’m a bit of a sucker for flattery… or hell, even some vague form of appreciation, but I can’t help but loath her pet kitten. I wonder if I can get Irwin to do something about it.

On this particular day I’d not a lot to do, so I was heading over to see Fath Fountainfold, our glassmaker who’d apparently made a rather impressive grate out of green glass. She’d stuck little pictures of our original team making out way to the foot of the mountain and fighting off orcs as we built the castle walls. I would’ve felt sentimental, having not talked to Rykue, Gutendorf, Bodark, or Dermonster lately… but admittedly, none were that fond of me. I liked my chats with Jyrvus, who always kept me sane, but he’d spent the last few months in the smithy, smelting iron bars. Irwin… well, conversations with him beat the glares I got from most of villagers.

Fath met me as I approached. “All right, Quinn, check this out, man. I’m thinking like, worth 30k or something. You see this here? That’s bands of black bear leather, man. Black bear leather. You ever worn black bear leather? Softest loincloth you’ll ever own.”

“I’d say more like… 22800 buckers. I don’t really get what the alunite represents, but…”

Fath held up both hands, waving them in front of me. She was very enthusiastic, but I didn’t really have the time to sit and listen to her rant about the artistry inherent in the grate. “No, you gotta just listen to me for a sec, I…”

“Quinn!”

Thank you, I mouthed upwards briefly, before turning to see who’d saved me from Fath. It was Ubik, somewhat surprisingly.

“I have a plan. This is what we’ll do.”

She walked me to the doodles she’d made in the sand – and I saw that they were not doodles, but battle plans.

“The orcs are outside the gates, yes?”

“The gate, yeah.”

“No, sir. The gate-ssss. Plural.”

I looked at her, puzzled. She pointed to her diagrams.

“We build a new gate here, on the other side of the couryard, then lure them in. Dig a moat around the interior of the courtyard. Meanwhile, they can not shoot this deep into the fort, so we build elevated fortifications on the wall. Once they are here… we move the ammunition closer.”

I stared. It seemed to be a fine plan, for what my thoughts were worth. But it wasn’t about defending the castle to Ubik. To her, it was about avenging Sparta. The orcs weren’t being lured in to be easier to deal with, they were lured in to be trapped. And Ubik meant to watch them scream as she killed them one by one, agonizingly, aiming for ankle and kneecaps. It would be horrific.

I approved of the plan and ordered it carried out immediately.

The knights stood by our new courtyard entrance gate, as backup in case Ubik took a fatal arrow. We managed to get a handful of fortifications up, but nothing that made her safe so much as vaguely-less-in-danger. The moat was dug, though it was just as dry as our outer one.

Then we let the orcs in. Through her new plate mail, I swear I could feel her hatred. She let them creep closer. Closer. Closer still. Even as the gates shut behind them, she waited for them to get closer.

“What are you waiting for,” I called up from my safe perch behind the walls. She didn’t answer – but I suddenly knew. She wanted to see the whites of their eyes.

Cracks flew through the air and hard against my earlobe as her crossbow unlesahed its fury.

Instantly, spiders and orcs were gushing blood all over. Ubik said nothing, merely firing away into the horde. After emptying a full quiver into the mass, she hopped off the walls and ran around behind them, coming at the bewildered orcs from a different angle.

Ubik was picking them off one by one, leaving one orc for last – Soldierwraith, the slayer of Sparta. Running around to a makeshift fortification, she prepared her final assault. But Soldierwraith was good – the sniper was firing bolts of dwarf bone right back through the tiny fortification slit and striking Ubik back.

“I am not afraid of you, dwarf!” it hissed. “I have killed many more than yourself. I fear nothing!”

Ubik lowered her body, bracing the crossbow deep against her shoulder. “Prove it,” she snarled back. A single bolt flew out into the courtyard, striking the creature in the eye. It began shrieking, and writhing in pain on the ground. The knights were restless, anxious to slaughter something, but nobody could take this kill away from Ubik. Another bolt struck the creature in the throat, blood spewing out.

“You took my friend from me. I will take your future.” A final bolt shot out, hitting it in the forehead. The monster went limp, leaving nothing but corpses in the courtyard.

At the same moment Soldierwraith fell, the orcs in the mountains scattered. Though they still had more than enough number to scatter us, Ubik’s display had triggered something lost-lost in their synapses. Fear.

I could feel it within my bones as the orcs ran. An overwhelming sensation of freshness, redemption, innocence. This year would be different. Spring had arrived.

---

I think I’m going to remove the ability to web from the spiders. It’s fun watching Ubik slaughter everyone, but it’s too easy. The knights need to have some fun. Incidentally, Ubik killed 12 orcs and 10 spiders in that siege, putting her up to 34 orcs and 38 spiders total.

Monom Blotpaints and Bomrek Purewinds are now legendary miners, coming in at numbers 16 and 17 after Fath the glassmaker. Next on the to-do list is improving the courtyard shooting gallery.

The castle itself looks wonderful, and you plan on making it 10 z levels high. o.O just awesome. I look forward to it.

The main reason I embarked on a mountain was for building height :D 10z is nothing!

Yeah, so I accidentally passed out while playing
Epic

-_-

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2010, 07:59:41 pm »

I am sad now. This is the first time I've been mentioned in so long, and it's only a passing referance.

i also forgot what profession i was. Being in 42 community forts, its a little hard to keep track.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2010, 08:14:08 pm »

Very nice. Although I believe one of your first order of businesses right after doing anything else important, is to improve Ubik's defenses. It'd be a shame to see her get killed by a single lucky shot to the throat/heart.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2010, 08:21:14 pm »

I am sad now. This is the first time I've been mentioned in so long, and it's only a passing referance.

i also forgot what profession i was. Being in 42 community forts, its a little hard to keep track.

Yeah, Dermonster and Rykue are mostly just generic carpenters now :( But I'll try to work them in a bit more when I can. I think the quest I have set up for the next few updates will involve a few of the lesser-mentioned knights, Bodark, and Jyrvus. I've been looking to switch persectives (albeit temporarily, Quinn is fun). But I'll get back to involving the 'older' characters more soon. It's getting difficult to keep track of everyone with 25-ish named dwarfs and 35 more.

Very nice. Although I believe one of your first order of businesses right after doing anything else important, is to improve Ubik's defenses. It'd be a shame to see her get killed by a single lucky shot to the throat/heart.

Indeed. She took two or three bolts from that last orc, actually - it had damn good aim. Yellow arm and a few fingers, the rest healed quickly. She's fine now, though, but I was worried.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:07 pm »

Yeah, I've had three champions armed with shields and legendary in them taken out by a single elite boworc. Needless to say I was rather pissed/sad.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2010, 10:13:55 pm »

Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25