Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48075 times)

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A medieval hell. [community]
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2010, 05:38:57 pm »

This thread is reaching true dwarf potential in awesomeness. Keep the good work up mate.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2010, 08:30:43 pm »

I'm going to try a fortress like this in a savage evil area, seems undwarvenly, but really fun.

So far I got assaulted by the an alligator and a crocodile. The skeletal crocodile dragged one of my axedwarves(Chose woodcutter and axedwarf specs for three) into a pond, and the axedwarf obliterated it still, while drowning, with a mangled foot, and drug himself out of the pond after i dug him some ramps. A truly epic dwarf.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2010, 10:43:27 pm »

Okay, non-story update since I've got a whole bunch of stuff to address.

First, we've had a swordsdwarf (Sulvor) hit elite status - so I'm going to take the time to explain how I'm going to have the military system work, since it's a bit different. Thus far I've been avoiding it because it's more fun to do somewhat surprising new things than dull and expected things.

Any dwarf hitting elite status (11th skill level, or 'Great') is getting Knighted. Custom title is Knight, nickname gets a Sir prefix (thus, Sir Sulvor) and the dwarf is permanently on-duty, thus no more sparring. Knights will get to live in the castle keep when it's done! From that point, they're in squads of 1 - and new dwarves joining the military will become their Squire, making a squad of two. The only experience a knight can gain from that point on is from actual combat, to make champions (which will be addressed when we get our first) rarer. This is another reason I've forced all our melee fighters into sword training - it's more knightly. I'll probably do something different for one or two of you; it'll all be with story purpose though.

The other business at hand is migrants. Yeah, we've got more. No surprise given the insane profit these merchants have been getting, though.

1 - Fountainfold, female glassmaker
2 - Crowdseal, female mason
3 - Brushedfence, male peasant
4 - Clearwhips, female milker (married to below)
5 - Danglelantern, male peasant (married to above)
6 - Hornedringed, male child (son of above couple)
7 - Stockadesun, female fish cleaner
8 - Coverrags, male woodworker
9 - Controlinked, female woodworker

For those of you at home following along silently in the shadows, this is a great time to get dorfed! We've got I think 19 free dwarves. I can provide personality sheets for any upon request as well.

(Incidentally, we really, really need some more military... I fully encourage such a decision)

I'm going to try a fortress like this in a savage evil area, seems undwarvenly, but really fun.

So far I got assaulted by the an alligator and a crocodile. The skeletal crocodile dragged one of my axedwarves(Chose woodcutter and axedwarf specs for three) into a pond, and the axedwarf obliterated it still, while drowning, with a mangled foot, and drug himself out of the pond after i dug him some ramps. A truly epic dwarf.

You're luckier than I was, then. I wanted that kind of nonstop fun, but for all intents and purposes the jungle seems non-evil entirely. Just non-zombie foxes and deer.

That's a good idea what you're doing with the military. I like it.

I'd been hoping to incorporate more medieval-y stuff earlier, but we were just getting up to speed for these first few years. I'm planning on having lots of custom titles and referring to things by their proper terminology and all that jazz. Considering some other stuff too. I really do want this to be a medieval story, not just dwarves building above-ground.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:51:09 pm by Retro »

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2010, 10:46:19 pm »

That's a good idea what you're doing with the military. I like it.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2010, 11:02:05 pm »

First, we've had a swordsdwarf (Sulvor) hit elite status.

Cheers. May I pick my squire? If so, I'd like to see a list of the ones you'd be willing to give to him please. Thanks.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2010, 12:43:34 am »

Would be an honor if you take Sadok under your wing when he comes of age. He'd be so happy with the strongest dwarf in the fort :P
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2010, 09:53:05 am »

Cheers. May I pick my squire? If so, I'd like to see a list of the ones you'd be willing to give to him please. Thanks.

No problem. Here's the useless-job immigrants (who are almost all female, incidentally, since we've gotten practically nothing but female migrants) with a very short description. Feel free to nickname them as well, since we've got a huge surplus of unclaimed dwarves right now.

F - Sazil Shellsssalve: Simple, likes being told what to do.
F - Ilral Tombsstaves: Careful, reserved, organized.
M - Ingish Brushedfence: Quiet, peaceful, organized.
F - Eral Stockadesun: Calm and paced.

Would be an honor if you take Sadok under your wing when he comes of age. He'd be so happy with the strongest dwarf in the fort :P

Sadok's got another 12 years before we'll be considering him for any of that :P
Besides, the fort's only 2 and 3/4 years old as it is. I've been going at a pretty slow pace.

Could I have the save to look around the fort with?

Forgot to address this earlier - there's still some stuff I want to keep secret on the map for now. Once that's addressed, within the next 1-2 years I'd imagine, I'm good with posting the save.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:19:15 am by Retro »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2010, 10:19:01 am »

Interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing Irwin take up a crossbow. He'd be mightily pissed at all the animal sacrifice and dismantling of the stables...

*nudges* :) Even if he's turning into the hunchback of notre dame here, would give him some stats, and maybe more use to the castle.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2010, 01:41:01 pm »

I'll take Ilral Tombsstaves, you can pick any name you want just so you can find her among the no-names.

Forgot to address this earlier - there's still some stuff I want to keep secret on the map for now. Once that's addressed, within the next 1-2 years I'd imagine, I'm good with posting the save.

Okay, thanks anyways.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2010, 03:28:16 pm »

Quote from: Retro
Sam dating Bodark is kind of hilarious. Quinn did nothing but talk to her for like a year and a half, and she doesn’t even consider him a friend, whereas the last time I’d checked her relationship screen, Sam hadn’t even known Bodark at all. Quinn must be really annoying, or something.
That is weird, but funny. My guess is that Quinn must be a sober dwarf, or gay.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »

my dwarf is a warrior priest but he didnt do any blessings (not trying to be complainy) :-\
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2010, 08:13:50 pm »

Hey, Great read, but I have had a thought, Can I please have a copy of the World Gen please??? PM it to me and I will explain there...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2010, 09:56:04 pm »

I envy her. I'm all flat-chested and crap, it sucks. Wish I could bounce like that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What? Too off topic?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2010, 11:06:46 pm »

I envy her. I'm all flat-chested and crap, it sucks. Wish I could bounce like that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What? Too off topic?

Just a guess, but I'm assuming he thinks you are male.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2010, 11:35:43 pm »

Just a guess, but I'm assuming he thinks you are male.
No, just... too much there to get me in trouble. ;)
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25