Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48075 times)

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A medieval hell. [community]
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2010, 01:24:15 am »

Edit: I went and looked it up!
The girl in my avatar is Merorna/Melona, a pink haired bunnygirl slime assasin shapeshifter.
SO SAYS THE INTERNET, IT MUST BE TRUE.
I am such a perv, and this has nothing to do with the thread.

Wait... You didn't know?
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2010, 05:23:32 am »

Edit: I went and looked it up!
The girl in my avatar is Merorna/Melona, a pink haired bunnygirl slime assasin shapeshifter.
SO SAYS THE INTERNET, IT MUST BE TRUE.
I am such a perv, and this has nothing to do with the thread.

Wait... You didn't know?
-J-
Nah, I was just hopelessly mesmerised by breasts when I first saw it. Thus, why it is my current avatar.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2010, 05:26:50 am »

Wow, thought you knew man otherwise I would have told you awhile ago. I have to agree though, the bounce can be mesmerizing.
-J-
Paddledwork

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2010, 09:00:33 am »

Wow, thought you knew man otherwise I would have told you awhile ago. I have to agree though, the bounce can be mesmerizing.
-J-
I envy her. I'm all flat-chested and crap, it sucks. Wish I could bounce like that.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2010, 10:57:46 pm »

Okay, so no official update tonight, much as I'd like to write it now. It was a very busy summer at Mightygrips, though, and it's not quite over, so I'll save it all for a massive writeup probably tomorrow. Keeping track of this with all my notes is complicated enough between work. Our little castle has its first titled heroes, though! I'll refrain from giving too much detail now, there'll be enough coming tomorrow as it is.

I'd like to claim Morul Boltspiral, just so that his history is tracked, and someone doesn't change his name by claiming him later. He already has a pretty cool name.

Done, though she's a she. Gave her the nickname Morul so that the quotes would help me know she's claimed.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2010, 11:43:31 pm »

Can't wait for the next update.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2010, 12:12:38 am »

Never participated in one of these yet.. but I was wondering if I could claim Besmar (Renamed Sadok), if the fortress lives long enough for him to reach adulthood. Train him to be a legendary Swordsdwarf :D

He's willing to do just about any work, but is fixed on the dream of becoming a legendary Swordsdwarf(Because he likes shortswords, even though they arent as effective against amphibious skeletal whales.)

Try and be sure to have him maxed on the pumps before you send him into military training, though. He won't see much justice from a legendary dwarf as a fledgeling with no stats.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2010, 09:45:42 am »

I envy her. I'm all flat-chested and crap, it sucks. Wish I could bounce like that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Retro
Our little castle has its first titled heroes, though! I'll refrain from giving too much detail now, there'll be enough coming tomorrow as it is.
Awesome, I'll look forward to it.
-J-
Paddledwork

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2010, 11:07:12 am »

---

17th Hematite, 13~

We’ve attracted the attention of the humans. Despite our dwarrf-human pact to stop orcs from breaking through this mountain range, they seemed to not want to bother trading with us until we’d shown we could hold our own on the trading front – fair, really, considering our first trades consisted of a barrel of cat food for the mountainhome and some skulls for the elves.

Nevertheless, I was determined to put up a good showing with the Submerged Nation, and I briskly made my way to the depot. They hadn’t brought much metal, but we took it all and gave them our bone jewelry as incentive to begin bringing more the next summer. We wanted all the metal we could get.

Behind me, the cabin was continuing construction. I was growing quite accustomed to it, and hoped to be able to keep it to myself once we had begun work on the castle. At the least, I wanted everyone else out. The bedrooms had gotten a little too cramped for comfort, and I’d woken up the other night as someone had kicked me in their sleep.

As I talked with Dap Bathskirt, the guild representative, I heard a cry that I had hoped not to hear for a while longer.

“Orcs! From the west, through the jungle!”

“All right, uh…” I said, mentally stalling. “We should… uh…”

I saw the swordsdwarves making their way over to me. One of them, a hothead, yelled at me. “Well, scribe? Are we going to go and deal with this? I’ve been looking for a good fight, you know.” Randall Castlesoak. I’d had a run-in with him earlier when he’d complained about the lack of armour.

“I… Well, I don’t know, I don’t know much detail yet about…”

Julius, the young mason, ran over. “Quinn! We’ve done a count, there’s… there’s a lot more of them than before.”

Our swordsdwarf army turned to look at him. He shrunk back a bit.

“Two squads… 44 orcs.”

Silence among the fighters. “Well, that’s not so bad,” started Randall.

“…and 45 of those giant spiders,” Julius finished. More silence followed, then outbursts of anger.

“We can’t just charge in there and—”

“—but if we attack from higher ground, maybe—”

“—don’t have the equipment to—”

“—Enough!” shouted one of the swordsdwarves. Sulvor Blockadedales – I’d been getting better with names. He’d volunteered to train as a castle defender in order to protect the good people of Mightygrips, as he’d phrased it. I don’t know how many of us were all that good – really, I myself was only sort-of-okay – but he’d said it with enough vindiction that I very nearly believed him. He was one of the best wrestlers in the legion, and the best swordsman as well. “We do not stand a chance. If we would rush out into battle, surely we would all be slaughtered. We have little armour, and what there is of it is makeshift. For now we must block off the bridge and hope to wait them out.”

There was much grumbling, particularily between Randall and another soldier, Angron. The two were both devoted to their duty, but were rather anxious about being able to pick a fight.

I agreed and gave the order to shut off the bridge once all dwarves were inside. I sent the farmers back to the fields, led by Gutendorf. We’d need to prepare a lot of food to survive this siege.

Dap, the human guildsman, wandered over. “Err, Mr. Shadowhelms, is everything all right? I heard a shout about orcs…?”

“We’ll be fine, Mr. Bathskirts,” I responded, then paused. “Ideally, that is.”

It would be a long summer.

---

1st Malachite, 13~

Ducim Oarwrings, the mason that had gotten a spinal injury during last spring’s migration wave, had kicked Julius out of his own workshop and spent the last month creating “Faithfulreleased,” a hatch cover in felsite. Worth about 37600, I’d say – quite amazing craftsdwarfship.

The humans were getting restless, ready to depart, but there was nothing I could do. They would have to wait, as we did.

---

12th Malachite, 13~

I’d seen him first – Urdim Pagedbent, one of our migrant masons, was waving and shouting from the hills. How we’d missed him all this time, I’ve no idea. He’d probably been hiding away on the other side of the mountain, trying to wait the siege out undetected, but must’ve gotten too hungry and finally broke.

I was hugely conflicted. If we opened the gate to let him in, the orcs would quickly follow. I didn’t know which to choose – one guilt-laden death, or thirtysomething morally-upheld deaths.

Bodark and Sam sat next to me on the cabin’s roof, too deep in conversation to have noticed. They’d been speaking more closely lately, and I suspected them of being ‘involved.’ On top of this siege, it was rather disheartening.

“Is… that a dwarf out there?”

Bodark had seen Urdim. I was silent. I’d already made up my mind to do nothing about the straggler, but there was no way to pretend not to see Urdim now that Bodark had.

“Er… yes, it seems that way.”

“What’s he doing out there?!”

“I… I don’t know. We did a headcount – 30 dwarves, all accounted for. I have no idea how we missed him.” I paused. "Shit, Rykue's kid-- that makes 31 of us!"

“Well, what are you waiting for, man? Let the poor bastard in!”

I sat there, unresponsive, looking at my hands in my lap. Silence hung in the air as he realized what I was thinking.

Bodark spoke again, more slowly. “If that’s how it’s going to be. I’ve a job to do.” He stood and made his way to the stairs, aiming to grab the lever.

“Bodark, you can’t! It’ll doom us all!”

“And you think you’ll sleep well tonight, watching an innocent dwarf starve because you’re too cowardly to do something about it?” He threw the lever and headed outside. I was hot on his heels.

“Of course not! But it’s in the interest of all of us! Do you think any of us will survive if the orcs get in here?”

He stopped and turned his head, his gaze burning a hole through me. “Do you think I’ll be able to live with myself if I don’t try?” He walked away, mobilizing our troops. I stayed, feet frozen to the ground. “Sulvor! Round up your boys and come with me! Sparta, Ubik, up on the walls and cover us! We’re going on a rescue mission!”

I could hear creaking from the entrance as the bridge slowly extended. The orcs wouldn’t notice at first, sure, but sooner or later they’d rush us, and we wouldn’t be able to hold them back.

Bodark himself grabbed a sword and some ill-fitting leather armour. “All right,” he said, heading up the ramps, “We’re going after Urdim. He’s stuck out there on the mountain and we’re getting him back here. It’s a stealth mission, boys, but we’re expecting confrontation nonetheless. But I don’t want any of you getting any brash ideas! We’re not engaging, we’re trying…” he trailed off, standing atop the bridge. He seemed to deflate, softly. The soldiers turned, and stopped along with him.

I knew what they were looking at. They had mobilized too late.

“…nevermind,” he said. “Close the bridge. Mission’s over. Back to your posts.”

He walked past me towards the cabin, giving me a dark look. I knew what he was thinking, as clearly as if he had said it. At least we tried.

I laid awake all night.

---

Okay, I realized partway through writing this that I had way too muh material for just one update, so I’m stretching it out into two. Should have the second done before the day’s out, though. That'll take us to the end of Limestone (1st month of autumn).

Side notes: Dermonster has become the fort’s 6th legendary in wood cutting, and Ducim Oarwrings (unclaimed, incidentally) is the 7th with the fey mood in masonry.

Sam dating Bodark is kind of hilarious. Quinn did nothing but talk to her for like a year and a half, and she doesn’t even consider him a friend, whereas the last time I’d checked her relationship screen, Sam hadn’t even known Bodark at all. Quinn must be really annoying, or something.

Incidentally, I had no idea there was a dwarf outside the fort until I got the ‘Urdim Blahblahblah has been struck down.” Message and zoomed to his corpse, which was right near the fort entrance, before I realized. Made for good character development material though.

Never participated in one of these yet.. but I was wondering if I could claim Besmar (Renamed Sadok), if the fortress lives long enough for him to reach adulthood. Train him to be a legendary Swordsdwarf :D

Done! Incidentally, he's got the best lastname of the family (Searcharmor, against Rykue Lostblockades and Gutendorf Rimrifts) so that's gonna be the family name now. I'll use Dwarf Companion to change the others'.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2010, 01:12:36 pm »

Arrrrggh, if only you could throw swords in Fortress mode. We could have at least gotten two of them then  :D
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2010, 02:57:32 pm »

7th Galena, 13~

I was getting nervous. Again. This time my point of concern was the coming autumn – surely the mountainhome’s caravan would turn back if they saw we were under siege by orcs. We needed to end the siege as quickly as we could – yet one squad was across the jungle, while the other was waiting just outside our archers’ range.

I’d spent the last few hours sitting at my desk. I was pretending to work, but the truth was I was just thinking about how to get out of this mess.

Dap Bathskirts, the human guild representative who had been trapped in with us along with the human trade caravan, entered without knocking. I preferred an obligatory knock, but there was no need to be rude and bring it up.

“Dap, what can I do for… Uh, bud, you don’t look so well.”

It was true – the tall, thin human was a little jittery, and didn’t seem to be looking at anything in particular. In fact, his eyes appeared to be looking in slightly different directions. “Quinn… Quinn… Can I call you Quinn? I’m Dap. What’s your name?”

I cocked my head to the side and narrowed my eyes, regarding this odd behaviour. “You okay? Been cooped up a little too long, maybe?”

“You don’t have any roosters here. But I’m a big rooster!” He started clucking and ran off downstairs. I ran after him, trying to recall what a rooster was. Some kind of human pet.

I exited the cabin and looked around. He was climbing up the wall and running along it frenetically, flapping his wings—er, his arms. I climbed up and followed, trying to keep my balance on the palisade. Ahead, Dap seemed poised to jump.

Suddenly I remembered. “Dap, roosters can’t fly!”

But I was too late – the guild representative jumped over the far end of the wall, cawing loudly. I stopped, and turned towards the jungle. The orcs had seen him jump. Bye, Dap.

As the orcs charged, something occurred to me. “Ubik! Sparta! The orcs are in range!"

I hopped off the wall into the yard as the two archers passed me running the other way. Both were grinning, eager to practice on softer targets than the archery targets we’d set up. I watched from atop the workhouse – as the orcs tore into Dap (poor guy), the marksdwarves tore into the orcs.

The two of them fired enough shots to make some kills – a few orcs and a handful of spiders had been killed. But the squad retreated shortly thereafter, once again out of range. I thought about this.

“…Irwin, get the horse foals and bring them to the wall. It’s feeding time.”

Luring the orcs back towards the wall every now and then for a free horse or dog to slaughter, we managed to kill 10 orcs, among them ‘Hatespreads, the Lurkoman,’ who killed Urdim. Ubik and Sparta had both adopted colloquial titles – Ubik was now known as the Dead Lizard of Dripping, while Sparta was the Calm Tragic Crucification of Swallows. They were getting good, too – but we had no more animals to sacrifice, and half the squad was still waiting out there. Meanwhile, I was getting concerned over the human traders – what if they soon went as crazy as Dap? I assigned the swordsdwarves to watch them.

We now had no way to lure the few remaining orcs to the walls, but we had to open the bridge – and soon. I eyed the human guards. Perhaps…?

The plan was in action. I made sure no dwarves went outside the fort, then lowered the walls. The humans made a break for it, attempting to get away safely. Some of them were fast enough…

…and some weren’t.

Unfortunately, although the human guards handily cleaned up the last of the squad, that wasn’t the end of the orcs. The second squad rushed us just as the last of the first had fallen. I was getting panicky. If we didn’t finish off these orcs by the end of the season, there was a rather good chance that the autumn caravan would avoid us altogether.

We were out of bolts. I ordered part of the stables deconstructed to conserve wood and had them carved. We would hold out against these finds no matter the cost.

---

15th Limestone, 13~

The siege has broken! Finally! I sent the haulers out to clean up. The battle was a messy one.

But it may be too late. The first month of autumn is nearly half over – we’ve spent the last year making nothing but instruments, knowing that the mountainhome was willing to pay top dollar for them. Surely our efforts would not be wasted?

With easy access to wood, the final work on the cabin is again underway. Perhaps we will soon be done and able to work on more permanent housing for the migrants.

---

17th Limestone, 13~

PRAISE ARMOK!

Only two days after the siege broke, the caravan arrives. The merchants were none too pleased to have to travel through our ichor-smeared jungle, but… I was actually getting rather fond of it.

~

End Chapter 1

~

So, yeah. I tried to turtle (another experimental offensive got our entire military and most of the castle killed) but since the caravan was coming, it wasn’t a viable option. I kept dropping dogs and horse foals to lure them in, and then when I’d run out the guild rep went stark raving mad and threw himself over. Poor guy. We ran out of wood to use for bolts JUST after the orcs broke.

Ubik’s kills: 11 orcs (including Hatespreads), 19 giant wolf spiders. Sparta’s kills: 7 orcs, 8 spiders. Altogether, we killed like 50.5% of their total siege. Way to go team.

The humans and their packbeasts actually went crazy halfway through their daring escape. Perfect archer bait. It was glorious.

Ubik and Sparta are now elite archers (marksdwarves). Incidentally, Sparta’s title was so long that I had to open Dwarf Companion just to read the whole thing.

And the cabin’s complete (though I may add windows):

Arrrrggh, if only you could throw swords in Fortress mode. We could have at least gotten two of them then  :D

Yeah, I would've liked to have let the swordies go out to play, but every time I tested it out you guys just got pwnt. I don't like archers either, since it's too easy imo, but you work with what you got.

Okay, that's it for a while!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:49:47 pm by Retro »

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2010, 03:50:40 pm »

Could I have the save to look around the fort with?
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »

Interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing Irwin take up a crossbow. He'd be mightily pissed at all the animal sacrifice and dismantling of the stables...
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2010, 05:03:39 pm »

This thread is reaching true dwarf potential in awesomeness. Keep the good work up mate.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2010, 05:06:13 pm »

Meadhall's nice. You should line the roof with spikes  ;D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25