Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: /v/'s potentially fail, fortress succession thread!  (Read 37109 times)

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
Re: /v/'s potentially fail, fortress succession thread!
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2010, 10:47:53 pm »

...Urdim is still alive, roaming the wilds with just her upper body...

Its a sign from Armok himself that we are destined to greatness... or that we are going to have our legs ripped of. The jury is still out on which one Armok is talking about.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:49:58 pm by TatersAndTots »
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.

Lazareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2010, 02:25:04 am »

I'm not sure, but i think skeleton is having a turn atm. I'll get on the IRC a bit later to sort shit out..

Also, nice find moogly

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2010, 05:17:31 pm »

I'm not in, but let it be known that I have been following this thread closely...or not...
 ;D

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Arramiy

• Bay Watcher
  • Failsafes on failsafe's failsafes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2010, 05:57:46 pm »

7th Granite, 207

My term began today, though I'm not certain how much I can do. I came here in hopes of building a better future for many dwarves. Anyways, I started by touring the entire fortress and the area around it, and looking over the records afterward. The death toll before my arrival was staggering, and, after learning the reason for it, I've decided to try and see that that doesn't happen again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

9th of Granite, 207

One of those furry little abominations they call cats just brushed against my leg. I feel strange. Fearing for my sanity and my free will, I quickly order the extermination of any of the little beasts. Looking over the records, there are a huge amount of the things running rampant! It's only a matter of time before it turns to utter chaos!

11th of Granite, 207

With my mind at ease, I begin the construction of something that will improve the living conditions of all the dwarves here. Either that, or drown them all, if I misculate something. It could go either way, really.

Maybe with some clever engineering, I can even give it a dual purpose, wouldn't that be fun? Though then there's the risk of boiling everybody alive. That would be bad. And hilarious. But mostly bad, yes.

In any case, I've started with the construction, starting with where the the water will be drawn from the ocean area to the west.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

12th of Slate, 207

Construction's moving along. I've heard a few complaints from the several dwarves I've assigned to the masonry workforce. But it's for everybody's good, so they're all silly.

Also, I believe that that last of those flea-bitten, mind-controlling vermin has been put down, at least the ones not being actively protected by their thralls.

Perhaps said thralls could test run the new system once it's in place...

21st of Slate, 207

I've halted the production of iron bolts. At a supply of around 1,100 or so, we have more than we'll need for a long while. The iron is now being used for the construction of pump materials for use in construction.

28th of Slate, 207

We've received some immigrants, among which is the Dungeon Master.

List by profession:

Fish Dissector
Ranger
Hunter
Miner
Carpenter
Cheese Maker
Leatherworker
Peasant
Cheese Maker
Cook
Peasant
Furnace Operator
Peasant
Lye Maker
Furnace Operator
Glass Maker
Peasant
Child
Farmer
One of those accursed cats
Tanner

As they all filed in, I thought to myself that almost all of these were a funny way of spelling "Mason."

Shortly after their arrival, the ones that could be set to work were without any further delays.

1st of Hematite, 207

Summer has arrived, and construction is moving .. a lot more slowly than I would have liked. Perhaps I'll need to drag even more into the workforce. Perhaps not.

I've used a small amount of the logs for the water pump parts, and have a few components made of iron ready, though only after I realize that I may not need them. Oops. No blocks were made, anyways, because I'm forgetful like that. Ha, ha, ha. Well, good thing only you'll know, diary. Not if I can help it.

Pictured: A level above the water storage

4th of Hematite, 207

Nish has become rather secretive, and has laid claim to a mechanic's workshop. Almost immediately, the guy's set to collecting materials. I wonder what he intends to make, though I have an inkling.

The dog bones worry me, though.

8th of Hematite, 207

Nish has begun construction. I find myself peering over his shoulder for a few minutes every so often before being shooed away.

12th of Hematite, 207

Nish has finished his work, a mechanism made of mica. I had a feeling that was going to be what was created. Perhaps it'll appease some noble.

20th of Hematite, 207

A wild bactrian managed to wander in sight of the archery range. The marksdwarf practicing there didn't take too kindly to the interruption.

A scare today, a meal tomorrow.

8th of Malachite, 207

It came to my attention that we don't have a source of drinkable water. I noticed the well earlier, and it has access to water, so I'm a little worried. I decide to add some extra flooring in the resevoir, so there'll always be some drinkable water, if the well should run dry or become unusable for any reason.

[Image here lost due to my stupidity]

3rd of Galena, 207

More migrants. Here's another list, diary.

Ranger
Engraver
Clothier
Fisherdwarf
Blacksmith
Planter

Huh. Much smaller than the last wave.

1st of Limestone

Autumn has come, and the groundwork for the machinery is being laid out as we speak. It's taken most of the logs we have, but I expect the caravan shall arrive soon with the last we need to complete the basic structure, and then some.

I've been expecting some horrible accident to befall one of the workers, but, fortunately, that doesn't seem to have happened yet. Though it's still too early to really be saying that.

9th of Limestone

They're here! I've started trading some of the clothing lying around in exchange for various goods, including the bounty of wood they brought. I can only assume that's what they were all sewn for. I've also set an order for various things, including more wood, some leather, if only to dump the leather inside and keep the bins, raw and processed ore, more drink, and bauxite.

Hopefully I've chosen alright. Back to the project at hand, in any case.

16th of Limestone

An Animal Dissector decides to claim a Craftsdwarf's Workshop. Let's see what he makes.

23rd of Limestone

A toy axe! Can't you think of a better use for those resources, Sibrek!? Why, I ought to..

Sorry, diary. I shouldn't be writing such excessively angry thoughts in you. At least he's a talented woodcrafter, now. How... Great.

26th of Sandstone

More migrants. I can't even be bothered to count them this time, I'm afraid. Sorry, diary.

I lost track of them anyways.

Goodness, though I am getting kind of boring right now, aren't I?

11th of Moonstone

Just noticed that Winter has arrived. I'm afraid I don't really have anything interesting to add. It's all been, frankly, a little boring since the last major thing.

21st of Moonstone

Construction's making some decent progress, now. Here's the extra storage for the water that doesn't turn to mist.

I'm excited, diary! Everybody'll get a nice new place to relax, and the excess water should safely drain out.

And here's the new location of the to-be statue garden, just above it. If all goes well, we'll have a nice, relaxing mist to calm any worries of the fortress folk.

3rd of Opal

One of ours wrestlers died today. I'm not sure the cause, but, judging from the death by suffocation, he got killed in a horrific sparring accident. Sucks to be him.

7th of Obsidian

Well, here is where I step down. A little earlier than normal, but I do not feel that I will be able to finish my project in time. Most of the groundwork is in place, but powering the pumps is an issue. My attempts to make them self-powered appear to have fallen quite flat, which I find rather disappointing, but I suppose that was to be expected. May the next guy taking over after me have better luck, should he decide to continue it.

He can dismantle it for all I care. Just a failed attempt. I think I'm going to go cry now.

Anyways, I apologize for the lack of too many descriptive images and the generally boring update, I just had troubles deciding on what would be interesting and what wouldn't. I'm an even worse writer than I thought, too, and that doesn't really help, now does it?

.. Sorry again for the lack of much accomplished.  :(

Here's the save.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G4K0LVVN
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:59:17 pm by Arramiy »
Nothing yet!

Moogly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2010, 05:27:39 am »

... My attempts to make them self-powered appear to have fallen quite flat, which I find rather disappointing, but I suppose that was to be expected...
Isn't wind power an alternative, or is it a totally wind-still map?
And what's up with all the dogs? Seemed to be a tone of them judging by that one picture with 5 puppy birth messages. Not saying it's a bad thing, just seems odd to me to have so many dogs running around.

Anyways, seems things have really calmed down since the near extinction early on.

Lazareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2010, 08:35:48 am »

Only 1 death.

New record anyone?

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2010, 09:01:04 am »

I'd like it on the record that during my reign there was not even a single injury, much less death.
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

Moogly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2010, 11:46:46 am »

I'd like it on the record that during my reign there was not even a single injury, much less death.

Silly, that's not how you play Dwarf Fortress. There should be body parts flying everywhere, both dwarf and miscellaneous ones.

Arramiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2010, 01:16:10 pm »

Yeah, but I wasn't sure, and with the attempts with the waterwheels, I was using too much wood as it was. In any case, the thing ran as one small "d'oh!" after another, and to top it all off, I forgot how to make the blasted things work the way I wanted them to. :P
Nothing yet!

Hexon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2010, 03:33:08 pm »

And what's up with all the dogs? Seemed to be a tone of them judging by that one picture with 5 puppy birth messages. Not saying it's a bad thing, just seems odd to me to have so many dogs running around.
Partially my doing. They are all wardogs, about 30 of them.
It came to my attention that we don't have a source of drinkable water. I noticed the well earlier, and it has access to water, so I'm a little worried. I decide to add some extra flooring in the resevoir, so there'll always be some drinkable water, if the well should run dry or become unusable for any reason.
Sounds like you contaminated the reservoir.

Arramiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »

Sounds like you contaminated the reservoir.

Was probably someone before me, then; I didn't touch anything remotely close to the well. I only noticed when someone was giving water for an injury I didn't see happen.
Nothing yet!

Lazareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2010, 01:52:44 am »

(Ignore the fact I misspelt my name. I was shortening it to Lazza last night and typed that by accident)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:02:48 am by Lazareth »

Haar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2010, 06:21:16 pm »

Nice to see that my giant channel is getting used.
If I could name it it would be "Giant Channel of the Mighty Haar, the bringer of Happiness, Water and resourcefulness".
A giant name for a giant channel that claimed so many dwarf lives.

Lazareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2010, 02:21:02 am »

If I could name it it would be "Giant Channel of the Mighty Haar, the bringer of Happiness, Water and resourcefulness".

>bringer of Happiness, Water and resourcefulness

I'm pretty sure a lot of our dorfs died on your turn due to the lack of those three.

Moogly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2010, 09:32:12 am »

>bringer of Happiness, Water and resourcefulness

I'm pretty sure a lot of our dorfs died on your turn due to the lack of those three.

Gotta weed out the weak.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15