Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions  (Read 17769 times)

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2009, 02:35:53 am »

well i was working on an underwater city based on rapture wich failed after i started constructing and realised the caravan wouldnt come (i first designated the whole thing as you can see here)

and right now im working on a city based on minas tirith, though i have gone a bit too far, the thing is divided in 7 areas, has the tower and the needle like area in the middle, however ive added new features like an enormous in the middle, the chance to fill each area or the whole city in either magma or water (or both) and the chance of filling the whole city with water and the dwarves still surviving thanks to a web of underground tunnels.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 04:20:12 am »

Alex, man, you should have kept going! I'm a huge fan of Bioshock, but can't do underwater constructions to save my life (It's usually because I'm all like, "How do I shot pump?")
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 04:45:33 am »

You can exploit some evaporation techniques to boil away the water in an area, allowing you to construct.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 04:56:43 am »

Someone should build Angkor.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/07/angkor/stone-text
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 05:20:44 am »

Someone should build Angkor.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/07/angkor/stone-text
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

to get the correct scale, you'd have to use most of a world-tile as your embark, and even then you'd probably have to scale it down somewhat, I can't remember the dimensions of Angkor, but you can see it from space (a couple of hundred miles up according to google earth), so it's bloody big.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2009, 06:30:12 am »

You can exploit some evaporation techniques to boil away the water in an area, allowing you to construct.

Ooh, like what? Please, do share, do share!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2009, 04:06:06 pm »

Ooh, like what? Please, do share, do share!

Ok, ok. So, there are two main ways to do it. One is to expose magma-proof bins with flammable materials (usually bitumous coal or lignite) to magma, and then the bins will keep the stuff from going out until it burns up. This means you can drop them into water and they won't be extinguished, they'll just infinitely evaporate water. You can set them up in a ring around the area you want by lighting them with magma then dropping them in (you obviously don't want dwarves to try to carry them around, which means you will have to set them in place on hatches above the area, light them with magma, and activate the hatches with a lever). The second widespread technique is to alter something in the raws or with Tweak to make it hot enough to evaporate infinite water. You can use certain spoiler-y tags and alter a type of creatures (like camels) to be incredibly hot, radiate heat, and be immune to all fire/heat, then use them to create a barrier to the water. Only probem is that they really need to be chained before they go all hot, or you'll be cooking dwarves who try to get near them.
The sigs topic:

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2009, 04:42:52 pm »

It's better to use a bin of leather than lignite or bituminous coal, since leather is more easily renewable.  Unless the dwarven caravan can bring those stones, you have a finite amount.  If you can get the stones from the caravan, it comes in kinda slowly because they don't take much in one trip.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2009, 04:53:06 pm »

Usually it is a method for getting rid of near-useless blocks of the stuff. I believe the other reason for using it is the long burn time, but that's just a vague idea, nothing I've verified.
The sigs topic:

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2009, 05:57:34 pm »

however ive added new features like an enormous in the middle
I would be interested to hear what the missing noun is.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2009, 06:48:47 pm »

I'm thinking about designing a fort after <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel>Mont-Saint-Michel[/url].

When it was first built, the castle's island was only accessible during low tide. If anyone was caught in between the island and the mainland when high tide was coming in, they were screwed.

What I'd do is create an automated tide-pumping system that would pump water into a specialized reservoir during low tide, and release it during high tide. Oh yeah, except I'd use magma instead of water.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2009, 06:58:28 pm »

Alex, man, you should have kept going! I'm a huge fan of Bioshock, but can't do underwater constructions to save my life (It's usually because I'm all like, "How do I shot pump?")
Cheat. Build it on land. In a crater. Then flood the crater so that the city is underwater :) .
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 07:07:42 pm »

Building in a crater is too easy.

Anyway, with that whole magma-flooding plan, be sure that your tides are several dwarf-days apart. Even level 1 magma is impassible to dwarves, and it takes a long time to dry up. Unfortunately you can't pump things dry at the moment.
The sigs topic:

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 08:22:44 pm »

actually the best method for clearing an ocean area in my experience is magma, though it takes some time, it gives the best results since you get a completely dry area for as much time as you want

another good method is using bridges, while this will probably lag you like hell, and its hard to manage to clear the WHOLE ocean, it will give you some z-levels to build

heh, thanks a bunch doomshifter, however i didnt give up yet, im just waiting till next version to start again and this time actually build a hospital for my dear friend dr. steinberg, since im going to build this thing i want it to work at 100%, so yeah it may take a bit longer but with the new features it should be much more awesome

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 08:56:34 pm »

Yea a popular method is the magma-dropping one for creating obsidian walls, but since you have to put up with near-endless cave-in recentering spam it's hardly worth it. Just imagine being recentered and pressing space hundreds or in some cases thousands of times, and you'll get the picture.

Once we can turn cave-in notification off life will be so much easier.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8