Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140784 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1410 on: November 02, 2013, 03:09:28 pm »

Although it should be noted that Jungle Republic sometimes has people claiming to be scum, due to the fact that there are situations where the town has to lynch one particular type of scum.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: November 05, 2013, 11:13:18 am »

Leafsnail, your setup seems a lot like Supernatural only with two scumteams, and I think I'd love to play it.

So I was think off some sort of Mafia game based on the card game Bang! In the game there are four types of roles, all except the sheriff are hidden at the start of the game and each have different wincons.
Sheriff: Known from the start, has an extra life. Wants to kill the Outlaws and the Renegade.
Deputies: Goal is to keep the Sheriff alive. Want to kill the Outlaws and the Renegade.
Outlaws: Want to eliminate the Sheriff.
Rengade: A Survivor. This means he must kill the sheriff last otherwise the Outlaws win.

Does anyone know how to make this balanced and playable?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: November 05, 2013, 11:53:09 am »

Leafsnail, your setup seems a lot like Supernatural only with two scumteams, and I think I'd love to play it.

So I was think off some sort of Mafia game based on the card game Bang! In the game there are four types of roles, all except the sheriff are hidden at the start of the game and each have different wincons.
Sheriff: Known from the start, has an extra life. Wants to kill the Outlaws and the Renegade.
Deputies: Goal is to keep the Sheriff alive. Want to kill the Outlaws and the Renegade.
Rengade: A Survivor. This means he must kill the sheriff last otherwise the Outlaws win.

Remove the Renegade or change his wincon. His wincon is basically the wincon of the Outlaws, except it looks like he can't win with the Outlaws, so he has to kill them too. So, he isn't a survivor at all. He's more of a serial killer. However, he's worse than one, since he can't kill who he wants.

Do the Deputies have any abilities? Something like a protect or inspect? Because otherwise the Sheriff dies on N2 with an Outlaw win. Knowing what those might be would help balance the game.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: November 05, 2013, 11:56:45 am »

Remove the Renegade or change his wincon. His wincon is basically the wincon of the Outlaws, except it looks like he can't win with the Outlaws, so he has to kill them too. So, he isn't a survivor at all. He's more of a serial killer. However, he's worse than one, since he can't kill who he wants.

Do the Deputies have any abilities? Something like a protect or inspect? Because otherwise the Sheriff dies on N2 with an Outlaw win. Knowing what those might be would help balance the game.
Bang is a card game, so people have cards they use to shoot people, cause their turn to end, etc. so that's where people's abilities come from. Secondly, everyone usually starts with 4 lifepoints and the sheriff has 5. However, thanks for the input, those are issues I should focus on.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: November 05, 2013, 12:52:56 pm »

I did a Bang variant called Prince's Guard. It was interesting, but had a lot of issues as a forum game. Worth reading if you're trying to make a game off of Bang, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: November 05, 2013, 01:00:13 pm »

I did a Bang variant called Prince's Guard. It was interesting, but had a lot of issues as a forum game. Worth reading if you're trying to make a game off of Bang, though.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: November 05, 2013, 09:22:22 pm »

Well it's not really like Supernatural, Supernatural is a closed setup while JR is open.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 05, 2013, 09:31:41 pm »

Well it's not really like Supernatural, Supernatural is a closed setup while JR is open.
What's the difference? (i'm still a newb when it comes to Mafia)
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: November 05, 2013, 09:56:49 pm »

Open - the players already know every role that's in the game and how many of each there are.  Example: Vengeful Mafia, Beginner's Sprint.
Semi-open - the players know what roles are possible, but not necessarily how many of each there are.  Examples: Paranormal Mafia, Beginner's Mafia.
Closed - the players do not know what roles will be in the game - there can be totally novel and strange roles present that the mod hides.  Examples: Every Toon Mafia, BYOR mafias.

I guess Supernatural isn't quite closed because you are given hints about what town roles there are, but it's not even semi-open as the scum abilities are completely obscured.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: November 05, 2013, 09:59:32 pm »

Open - the players already know every role that's in the game and how many of each there are.  Example: Vengeful Mafia, Beginner's Sprint.
Semi-open - the players know what roles are possible, but not necessarily how many of each there are.  Examples: Paranormal Mafia, Beginner's Mafia.
Closed - the players do not know what roles will be in the game - there can be totally novel and strange roles present that the mod hides.  Examples: Every Toon Mafia, BYOR mafias.

I guess Supernatural isn't quite closed because you are given hints about what town roles there are, but it's not even semi-open as the scum abilities are completely obscured.
Ah okay, thanks. I meant it sounded like Supernatural in the fact that there were seers and werewolves then style of game. I do think the game sounds cool. But would mafia have any abilities like some sort of roleblocking ability?
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: November 19, 2013, 06:03:23 am »

Extensions are so anti-game. They don't make the game more fun and they regularly induce fatigue. Proposition: abolish them.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: November 19, 2013, 09:00:50 am »

Nay.

Extensions, while wearisome, are necessary. We all have times where we simply cannot play due to circumstances beyond our control.

With that consideration made however, I would be alright seeing extensions given out less frequently, or only in situations where they are deemed necessary by the mod.

E.x. A recent disaster or event forces Player 1 away from the computer. Player 1 informs the Mod about this. The Mod extends the game for the sake of Player 1.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: November 19, 2013, 09:08:55 am »

Yeah something like that would at least be an improvement: turning extensions from an inevitable part of a game Day into something that has to be specially requested. Alternatively, each player could be given the ability to extend the game by 24 hours once, encouraging players to save their extend for when they really need it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: November 19, 2013, 09:45:23 am »

That's actually not a bad idea.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: November 19, 2013, 10:10:30 am »

Plurality lynches and endless extensions are a bad system yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 108