Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140764 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1380 on: August 18, 2013, 08:24:30 pm »

I'd strongly advise against rules like that.  They're horrendous to enforce.  Having a mafia ability sortof works, but not if the mafia has investigators (unless you're going for some Death Note variant)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 18, 2013, 08:28:10 pm »

That's appealing, though there might be fringe cases or questions that would have to be settled beforehand. Is claiming town against the rules? Is a role claim against the rules or just abilities? Is it okay if you claim something that doesn't actually exist? Does dropping flavour clues count? What about lacing your sentences with key words from the wincon text? Or breadcrumbing but never explicitly pointing out the breadcrumb? But I think such a rule would be well worth trying— has any mod here enforced this rule?
Well, it's your game, so... Whatever you want?

Yes, fully against, no as that's a method to breadcrumb, yes, that's cheating in even a regular game, not allowed. I believe it might've been implemented somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

I'd strongly advise against rules like that.  They're horrendous to enforce.  Having a mafia ability sortof works, but not if the mafia has investigators (unless you're going for some Death Note variant)

The point is that you'd have to simply trust the player's to realize that giving away any bits of their role is against the rules. If they think that any of this is okay, since it's only slightly bending the rules, then you simply have poor sports. The game isn't about bending the rules. It's about finding scum. There ARE some games where it's about bending the rules. Then these types of things are okay. But, just make it clear that you just want them to try to play the game, not break it.

Is it seriously that hard to not break this rule? To not try to cheat? Really?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 19, 2013, 10:36:56 am »

It is really hard to fully stick to a rule like that, because it goes against your natural instincts as a player so hard.

Let's say you're a cop with a guilty on someone.  Wouldn't your absolute conviction that someone's scum reveal you to the town?  Do you have to pretend you don't know they're scum?  How about if it's clear that only you would've made a certain vigkill last night?  Why include PRs at all if you don't want them to have an impact on the day game, is the question I find myself asking.  Because what you'd have is a vanilla setup where some unpredictable things happen at night and people accidentally get modkilled in the day.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 29, 2013, 07:21:47 pm »

Would a game mode where the dead could still post in thread work? They'd be able to talk about their final night's investigations and give a more trusted perspective on the play. Obviously this could be very town-biased, so it could be balanced with some players (town and scum) flipping a false alignment on death. This been done yet?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: August 29, 2013, 07:25:14 pm »

Would a game mode where the dead could still post in thread work? They'd be able to talk about their final night's investigations and give a more trusted perspective on the play. Obviously this could be very town-biased, so it could be balanced with some players (town and scum) flipping a false alignment on death. This been done yet?
Yes, but you typically remove the dead as a means to SPEED UP the game.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 29, 2013, 07:28:14 pm »

Yeah, you would want to do it if there were lots of players. But maybe with a 7 player set up?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 29, 2013, 07:30:38 pm »

It would be exactly the same as a normal mafia game except less interesting.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 29, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »

How so?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 29, 2013, 07:36:27 pm »

Because it's still the same people deciding the game, it's just there's a bunch of random people hanging around being distracting.  I guess the only significant difference is that cops can now report back even if they die, and that isn't an improvement.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 29, 2013, 07:52:35 pm »

I guess my motivating thought for suggesting it is that active and competent town players tend to be the ones that get night killed. Having players that couldn't vote but could still call out poor play might be desirable in some game modes.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:23 pm »

We have that- it's called Beginner's Mafia.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 29, 2013, 09:05:17 pm »

We have that- it's called Beginner's Mafia.
Point goes to Toaster.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 29, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »

If that's the problem it'd be best solved by running a game where the mafia can't kill.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: August 29, 2013, 09:09:34 pm »

But seriously, no. It's basically 100% Town people discussing who to lynch, while the remainder do that.

If that's the problem it'd be best solved by running a game where the mafia can't kill.
Well, not necessarily. The mafia would avoid getting killed themselves, but you're right, it'd be like a countdown to lynch the scum.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: August 29, 2013, 09:29:06 pm »

Potentially you could run some sort of completely deathless game. Maybe lynching/nightkills "mark" a player, which functions as though they're dead for the purposes of wincons but not anything else.

Trouble is, it'd be really hard to get concrete information without roleflips.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 108