Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140765 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1395 on: August 29, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »

We have that- it's called Beginner's Mafia.
Not really: dead IC's can't point out what makes the obvious-scum scum.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 29, 2013, 10:54:58 pm »

Potentially you could run some sort of completely deathless game. Maybe lynching/nightkills "mark" a player, which functions as though they're dead for the purposes of wincons but not anything else.

Trouble is, it'd be really hard to get concrete information without roleflips.

Like... the game I hosted that was played like the card-game version?

...maybe that wasn't here, though. I could have sworn it was here. But really, I think Resistance is a good type for exactly that reason.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:56:40 pm by GlyphGryph »

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 29, 2013, 11:33:40 pm »

You mean revolution?

I've been planning to rework revolution to make it more mafia-like and less scum-sided.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 30, 2013, 12:27:30 pm »

Well that's what I called my game, but the actual Gametype is referred to as The Resistance

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 30, 2013, 06:05:54 pm »

So... I was thinking of doing an Intermediate's Mafia. Basically the same set-up as a regular BM but with a few extra roles thrown in there. I'm not sure which ones yet. I'm thinking Paranoid War Vet*, Role Cop, Jail Keeper [Warden], and Cop for Town with the Mafia getting God Father and Role Cop for Mafia.

I dunno if there's call for this sorta thing but I'd like to run something for the new players that isn't TOO terribly different from the BM so that they can sorta cut their teeth on a slightly more difficult version of the mafia rule-set. Is there any call for that sorta thing?

*I can't think of what the role is actually called so I just used the term from Meph's Paranormal games.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 30, 2013, 06:45:54 pm »

Pssssst, Paranoid Gun Owner.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 04, 2013, 04:10:56 am »

Need someone to help me balance the next game (mad science flavor, role-heavy, no hidden mechanics but would like to try some unusual things & closed setup)--any takers?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: September 04, 2013, 05:03:37 am »

I'm prepared to help.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 04, 2013, 08:08:09 am »

I can also help, seeing as I probably won't be playing for a while.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 04, 2013, 02:25:55 pm »

Okay.  I'm going to finish the first draft over the next couple of days, and then I'll PM y'all.  Thank you!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: September 06, 2013, 02:42:10 pm »

I've got a setup that is pretty fun for IRL mafia (with a low amount of players). We're been playing it for about a year, and it seems balanced. :D
It's played with 3-10 players, all using basically the same roles.

First off, there are two kinds of kills - "Mafia (Mark) kills" and "Joker (Flip) kills". Mark kills just mark somebody for death (IRL: placing the mark on target's card). Flip kills also show the role immediately. All kills are "confirmed" at the beginning of the day.

The game starts with the 0th day.

Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)

Win conditions:
Mafia team wins when the Town and Necromancer die.
Town team wins when the Mafia and Necromancer die.
The Joker and Redirect can win together if they're the last surviving.
The Necromancer (and zombies) win when everyone except the Necro and Zombies die.

Play goes by-turn:
Each night:
 - Necromancer (except N0)
 - Mafia
 - Doctor
 - Joker
 - Redirect
Each day:
 - Talking
 - Vigilante (except D1)
 - Talking
 - Lynch

How to set up the setup:
For 8-10 players: Hand out roles randomly (any extras are left unknown).
For 6-7 players: Take out the "uninteresting" roles (Town, then Bomb or Vengeful) until there are N+2 roles left.
For 4-5 players: Each player gets 2 cards, which are their "Left" and "Right" cards, which are fixed to their spot (unless the Joker moves them). Players get as many votes as alive cards. Players win when at least one of their cards would win.
For 3 players: Same thing, but each gets 3 cards (this is just for teh lulz, usually).

Other notes:
The dead don't speak (and they don't have a deadchat until the Necro dies), and go to sleep/wake up as normal. Zombie status is fixed to the player, not the card. Oh, and it's not good sport to rat everything out, although "my role was switched" is okay. Role switches and kills only take effect after the night ends. People can do ANYTHING their role allows them to do, including killing themselves, switching their own cards, and stopping/redirecting their own death. In IRL games, people flip their own cards after Flip-killing (or redirecting to) the Bomb.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 06, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »

That reminds me - there's a necromancy based mafia game I've been considering running. It would have the following roles:

RULES:
Three factions: Town, Monsters, Undead
The only starting member of the Undead Faction is the Necromancer, who may place a "mark" on players. If a marked player dies, they immediately resurrect, are sent a single message from the necromancer (through the host, presumably with orders), and change faction to Undead. (Basically, strange cult)

Town
Priest (Townie) - Cleanse! Target player loses their mark if they have one (killing undead) OR Scry! Reveals to you the identity of all marked players.
Slayer (Townie) - Fight! May night kill a target. OR Investigate: Reveals whether or not the target is town. Note: Misidentifies the raised Blacksmith as non-town.
Farmer (Townie) - Sturdy: You are extra tough, and will survive a single nightkill attempt or lynch. If you are marked, you will remain marked and alive.
Blacksmith (Townie) - Strong Willed: A strong independent streak allows you to maintain your team alignment even if you are raised as undead. If you turn undead, you will still count as "marked" (and killed if the mark is removed), and investigation by the Sheriff or Slayer will show your faction as being Not Town, even though you are still town aligned and only win if the town wins.
Thief (Townie) - Lurk! Any night actions taken against you will fail OR Case! Watch a player, and see anyone that targets them and anyone they target.
Sheriff (Townie) - Jail! You can have the town guards toss someone in jail for the night, preventing them from being able to take an action OR Investigate: Reveals whether or not target is town. Note: Misidentifies Blacksmith Zombie as non-town, and a non-raised Necromancer as town.

Mafia gets one shared night kill ability, as usual
Werewolf (Mafia) - Regeneration: You will survive a single kill or lynch attempt.
    Howl! That infernal sound! Scramble target player's night action - it hits a random player instead.
Demon (Mafia) - Extraplanar: Killing you banishes you. Being marked has no effect.
    Possess! By manipulating the target's mind, you can cause their night action to fail completely.

Undead (third party)
Necromancer (Undead) - Mark! Target player becomes marked.
Appears as town from the Sheriff's investigate.
At the beginning of the game, choose a player to mark (it may be yourself). If a marked character is killed, they return to life as a Zombie, a member of the undead faction that lacks any special abilities. If a marked Necromancer is killed, they instead rise as a Lich and if a Zombie is killed (or has their mark removed) they are removed from the game completely.

Raised Roles:
Lich(Undead) - Mark! Target player becomes marked.
Zombie(Undead) - If this players Mark is removed, they are killed.

Things to note:
If a player is lynched and live through it, they are obviously a zombie! ... or a farmer on their second wind, of course.
However, if they are nightkilled only the player that nightkilled them will be aware that they should have died.
Lynched players have to have been marked on the night before being lynched to be raised as a zombie.
Players will not know if they have been marked, but they WILL know if they have been targeted by Cleanse.
The farmer will be informed that they were night killed - it won't fail silently.

So... yeah. What do you guys think? Any obvious problems, and ideas on how to fix them?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 04, 2013, 12:25:14 pm »

Quantum Mafia.

http://puzzle.cisra.com.au/2008/quantumwerewolf.html

My thoughts:
Firstly, having a publicly available probabilities table makes the game breakable by massclaim.  I'd make them private.

Secondly, should the Seer role work even if they were dead at the time that they made an inspection?  The rules aren't too clear on that.  I guess the answer is probably yes, because otherwise someone could be mislead if they become a Seer.

Thirdly, I've worked out the solution to the puzzle that breaks the game.  It might be too obvious, so I have a suggested rule change that would remove the breaking strategy.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 02, 2013, 02:54:39 pm »

Out of curiosity, has anyone done a game where two Mafia teams are opposing each other? Because i think that would be a neat idea.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 02, 2013, 03:06:13 pm »

Yeah, it's a fairly common mechanic.  I'd quite like to have a go at running something based on Jungle Republic at some point:

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Jungle_Republic

The basic setup:
- 6 townies
- 1 seer (basically a cop that only detects whether someone is a werewolf or not)
- 3 mafia members (they don't have a kill)
- 2 werewolves (they do have a kill)

The idea is that the werewolves have the advantage of having a kill, while the mafia have a numerical advantage and no cop to deal with.  The mafia also have slightly favourable endgame rules.

I would make a few changes though, to make the win conditions easier to understand and to prevent draws/ weird endgames:

- If a day starts with exactly one town player alive and scum still remaining, the townie will kill themselves.  That's because a lone townie can't possibly win and leaving them alive creates kingmaker situations.
- If a scumteam ever makes up half or more of the living players, they win.  The only exception to this is if the living players are half werewolf and half mafia - in this case the mafia wins.
- The town can vote to no lynch, but they can't do it twice in a row if no kill was made during the night after the first one.
- Similarly, the werewolves can decide to not kill, but they can't do it twice in a row if no lynch was made after the first one.  These rules are there to prevent draws, which otherwise can happen because no-one wants to make the kill.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 108