Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 141033 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #690 on: February 15, 2011, 06:55:58 pm »

I don't think the Ghost role would be too bad if it lost the ability to pm, actually.  The problem with the version that came before was that everyone could pm their roles to the ghost and the ghost could organize everything.
... really? Why could the Ghost be PMed? That actually sounds like a problem with having private communication than just a Ghost.

I think a 'Spirit Mentor' would work. They choose one person to attach to and that's the only person they can talk with (in either direction, use a QuickTopic). Once the person they attached to is dead, the Spirit Mentor is done as well.

It was Paranormal, so PMs were free. Restricting the Ghost from PMing was discussed, but ultimately we decided it was better to just scrap the role. The reasoning is lurking somewhere in the Paranormal rules thread.

I thought about the Spirit Mentor, but it sounds a bit too weak to be fun.

Hmmm. A 1-shot power to PM any living player after death could be interesting, though. Still weak, but it could be that tipping point during LYLO or whatnot, and it doesn't become useless if the guy you get attached to dies the next day.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #691 on: February 15, 2011, 06:59:56 pm »

Having the Ghost be able to PM isn't the problem, having other players able to PM the Ghost is.

If they can't PM the Ghost (because they don't know how to talk to the dead), that eliminates most of the problems with being a confirmed townie.

I think the Medium role was a good replacement for that though.  Makes being dead more interesting at least.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 15, 2011, 07:00:56 pm »

That was actually part of my role in Second Chance Mafia.  Didn't really come into play though because the scum were killed so quickly.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 15, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »

That was actually part of my role in Second Chance Mafia.  Didn't really come into play though because the scum were killed so quickly.
Eh? I don't remember that.

Anyways, I should rebalance it, learn to mod, then run another one. That, or get someone better to run it. My favorite role was probably the Protective Lyncher: You start as a lyncher and revive if your target is still alive, in which case your goal becomes keeping the target alive.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 15, 2011, 07:16:08 pm »

Actually, no.  I think Mr.Person had that ability and used it to contact me.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 15, 2011, 11:57:44 pm »

Web:  Noted on the protection/block bypass.  So say PlayerA blocks WarriorB who is killing PlayerC.  WarriorB rolls to bypass and kills PlayerC anyway.  Tell PlayerA that his block was successful?  That'd make some interesting scenarios.  I suppose as long as it's known that it's possible, it's fine.

Mage:  I'd probably do 33% all but exclude artifact scrolls, keeping the rule simple.  Yes, it's strong on rares, but it's pretty unlikely to happen that you get an rare scroll in the first place.

(Honestly, the only artifact scroll isn't that strong either, but that doesn't mean that more won't come along.)

Priest:  Noted.  I think I'll make that official.

Medium style role-  I'll probably make it a class and the effect the same as Medium from Paranormal.  Anything else is either underpowered or broken.

Next thing I'll do is get the rules together and put it here for review.  Any other suggestions?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 16, 2011, 02:10:55 am »

You want another artifact scroll? Fine, here ya go.

Scroll of Genocide: Choose a class. All players with that class die.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 16, 2011, 03:39:49 am »

Cool!
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:51 am »

Web:  Noted on the protection/block bypass.  So say PlayerA blocks WarriorB who is killing PlayerC.  WarriorB rolls to bypass and kills PlayerC anyway.  Tell PlayerA that his block was successful?  That'd make some interesting scenarios.  I suppose as long as it's known that it's possible, it's fine.
That's what I do. I just note that their protection action didn't fail. It may not target correctly or work, but it didn't get blocked, disabled, or fail to action. Usually.

Mage:  I'd probably do 33% all but exclude artifact scrolls, keeping the rule simple.  Yes, it's strong on rares, but it's pretty unlikely to happen that you get an rare scroll in the first place.
33%/22%/11%/0%?

Medium style role-  I'll probably make it a class and the effect the same as Medium from Paranormal.  Anything else is either underpowered or broken.
I don't think that's too great of a class, unless you allows inspects before kills.

... SUH-WEET.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 16, 2011, 08:47:38 am »

Oh yeah, that's in.

Web:  I do inspects before kills, because I've always liked these messages: "You go to inspect ScummyA.  You deduce that he is mafia because he shoots you in the face.  You die."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:09 am »

Web:  I do inspects before kills, because I've always liked these messages: "You go to inspect ScummyA.  You deduce that he is mafia because he shoots you in the face.  You die."
Not good either. You can't say that unless they get the same message from being redirected.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 16, 2011, 09:39:52 am »

Not sure what you mean there- could you elaborate?  Are you saying it should instead say: "Your investigation reveals the target is mafia!  Also, you die."

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 16, 2011, 09:42:59 am »

Not sure what you mean there- could you elaborate?  Are you saying it should instead say: "Your investigation reveals the target is mafia!  Also, you die."
Well, I always say, "Inspection successful. Target is mafia."

Then you can always add, "You die."

But, then again, I'm against individual flavor.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 16, 2011, 09:55:08 am »

Hm, OK.  I like personal flavor, but it'd have to take potential redirection into account.

You wave the wand of inspection and think hard of your target.  A sigil of evil appears in front of you- a sign of the Mafia!

As you study the sigil, you are hit over the head from behind.  You black out, and do not awake...

You have died.

Basically keep info to a minimum.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 16, 2011, 10:59:33 am »

Bastard mod: Everybody's the same class, and everybody gets one of those *g*
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 108