Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 141037 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #705 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:50 am »

I renamed the Obsidian Sword of Death (lame crap I made up) to the Golden Elephant Tusk to get in a DF reference.

(Artifact- all your kills bypass protection)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 16, 2011, 11:05:52 pm »

I find it odd there's no Nethack artifact, so I recommend making that "The Vorpal Blade".
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 16, 2011, 11:19:40 pm »

There's the ?oGenocide now...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 16, 2011, 11:42:06 pm »

As far as the name of that artefact, I like "The Vorpal Blade" better than "Elephant Tusk" as well, unless you really want the DF reference (which is more of a Boatmurdered reference, elephants are quite benign now, and can feed you for a long time!).
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 16, 2011, 11:45:33 pm »

There's the ?oGenocide now...

That's a common item. Also, we really should have a sword artifact.

Does the weapon (whatever we decide to call it) actually let you kill? I say it should let you do that since if it's just the kill-immunity-resistance, it's a touch weak.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:22 pm »

Yeah, the genocide scroll is an artefact in this game, but a standard/rare item in nethack. I like the idea that an artefact sword gives you a kill. I'd go as far as say it should be a daykill, but if that's too much, it can have a % chance of not happening (in nethack Vorpal Blade beheads (instakills) only 10% of the time).
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 16, 2011, 11:51:50 pm »

Thanks Book, that's what I meant. Daykill seems a bit strong, but it IS an artifact.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 16, 2011, 11:56:23 pm »

Actually, that is a bit strong as a daykill. Artifacts are meant to be cool, not I win buttons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 17, 2011, 12:07:37 am »

What if it was announced that the bearer did the daykill?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 17, 2011, 12:31:35 am »

A public daykill? I could get behind that, but that might be better flavored as something else.

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 17, 2011, 04:42:31 am »

The flavour writes itself...

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the [target name], and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

[Player] took his Vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The Vorpal Blade went snicker-snack!
He left [target name] dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

[Player] has beheaded [target name]!

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 17, 2011, 04:52:04 am »

If you want a different (or additional!) artefact sword, without a kill:

Excalibur: It conveys immunity to hallucination effects[1], your inspections cannot be resisted or blocked (Excalibur grants the "searching" intrinsic in nethack), and when you "invoke" it it will make you King (a la kingmaker) for a day, but then the Lady of the Lake comes and gets it (it disappears).

So it doesn't give you a kill, but a lynch, and you'll have to live with the consequences...

In nethack, it's restricted to Lawful types, so it would be tempting to say only Town could get it, but I don't know how to do that without making a confirmed townie, so that's not such a cool idea. It seems abhorrent to imagine a scum wielding Excalibur, though... oh well, balance is not my strong point, but I think it has cool possibilities.

[1]: Correction, Excalibur does not grant hallucination resistance; that's Grayswandir, which is especially good against undead and werewolves/silver-hating stuff. But we don't have undead, do we?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:43:05 am by Book »

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 17, 2011, 07:26:03 am »

Why not merge two swords into one that grants different powers depending on alignment ? You know the standard DnD empathic weapon trick. One common easy to recognize property and one hidden different for scum/town/3rd party.

Also why i have the feeling that your Excalibur description should be : "...,but then the Lady of the Lake comes and gets you for it!"

Few my propositions for DF references :
Pure Adamantine Nugget : So shiny! It feels your heart with joy just looking at it,you're immune to redirects and roleblocks. But you know you can't get too greedy,if you hold this item for two nights in row,something bad could happen to you...

Blank Dwarven Mandate : You feel sudden urge that some items are pure evil! You must do something!
 Select type of an item : Scroll,Wand,Staff,Ring - Usage of these items is restricted following night.

I'm new to mafia business so probably these are bit unbalanced but this rougelike sounds so good i couldn't resist ;p

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 17, 2011, 07:52:22 am »

Pure Adamantine Nugget : So shiny! It feels your heart with joy just looking at it,you're immune to redirects and roleblocks. But you know you can't get too greedy,if you hold this item for two nights in row,something bad could happen to you...
Depends on what the bad things are. I actually don't see this as overpowered WITHOUT the bad things.

Blank Dwarven Mandate : You feel sudden urge that some items are pure evil! You must do something!
 Select type of an item : Scroll,Wand,Staff,Ring - Usage of these items is restricted following night.
This could be extended to many things: Only usage of that type, total destruction of that type, only questing for that type, taking all of that type from a payer (Or all players?!?). In fact, I'd love too see everyone lose all their scrolls and all be given to one player. It'd make me laugh.

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 17, 2011, 02:06:48 pm »

Why not merge two swords into one that grants different powers depending on alignment?

Because then you can deduce the player's alignment based on the powers the artefact displays. You wouldn't use it if it outed you as a scum, and the mod wouldn't give it to someone who would become a confirmed townie by using it... No, as weird as it seems, I'd rather think that the scum managed to trick the Lady of the Lake into thinking he was legit, or that he was actually Mordred and looted it from Arthur's corpse, or something.

Maybe give it a special (not generally visible) malus if it's wielded by scum? Say scum can get Excalibur, with the same effects, but in addition it negates any protection bestowed on them as punishment for wielding a Lawful artefact?

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 108