Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140979 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #630 on: February 07, 2011, 03:44:03 pm »

I like that. I'll change both, then reword the "count three" scroll to give the number of anti-town factions.

Irony, any thoughts?  This was your idea to start with.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 07, 2011, 05:01:32 pm »

I ran a 13p test game using the current sign-in list for Para18 as names, and generated items for it.  After a game where Dariush pulled off a tricky scum win, see the item generation list below:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All lynches were random, and NKs were random townies.  No actions were considered.  I used the 75/20/4/1 drop ratio.

Looking at the results, a few things stood out:

1. We need more common items.
2. Having said that, weighting the more useful ones to appear more often may be good.
3. We need more common items.
4. With 40 item generations, that gives an expected generation ratio of 30 commons, 8 uncommons, and 2 rares or artifacts, favoring rares 4/5 of the time.  I'm thinking we made it a bit too conservative.  I want to poke some numbers around to tweak the drop ratio, but nothing as severe as a 5% artifact ratio- I think 1%, or at highest 2% is good for that.

The items themselves need some review (again, especially commons).
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #632 on: February 07, 2011, 05:03:04 pm »

Oh man that is going to get confusing...

:)

Could be interesting.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 07, 2011, 06:41:29 pm »

Hm.  Not sure how to balance that one.  Is it instead or in addition to their desired action?
Hm... Kills would be instead of, but other actions, I'm not sure. I want something similar to the Nethack item, where everything starts attacking everything else, regardless of alignment.

(Completely off-topic: It's fun when you start with two scrolls and a wand of Create Monster and a Ring of Conflict.)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 07, 2011, 06:43:24 pm »

70/20/9/1?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 07, 2011, 10:23:31 pm »

70/20/9/1?
I think 66/26/7/1 might be slightly better. Not that I care to up the rare amount. There were plenty of chances for rares. It just was unlucky.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 07, 2011, 10:33:42 pm »

Assuming 40 standard drops (common/unc/rare+art)

70/20/9/1
28/8/4

66/26/7/1
26.4/10.4/3.2

65/25/9/1
26/10/4

I like the latter two more than the first- uncommons aren't common enough at 20%.  The last two probably aren't different enough to make a major difference- the numbers are just cleaner in the last.

Any ideas for commons?  Also, unless I see an objection, the scrolls for inspect/RB/protect/track/watch (see who actions the target) are going to be appear twice in the list and therefore appear twice as often.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 07, 2011, 10:39:48 pm »

Assuming 40 standard drops (common/unc/rare+art)

70/20/9/1
28/8/4

66/26/7/1
26.4/10.4/3.2

65/25/9/1
26/10/4

I like the latter two more than the first- uncommons aren't common enough at 20%.  The last two probably aren't different enough to make a major difference- the numbers are just cleaner in the last.

Any ideas for commons?  Also, unless I see an objection, the scrolls for inspect/RB/protect/track/watch (see who actions the target) are going to be appear twice in the list and therefore appear twice as often.
Don't make inspect or watch twice as likely. Inspect is pretty powerful on its own.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 08, 2011, 10:56:46 am »

I decided not to weight just a few items- too gamey.  I just added these commons:

Scroll of Command: The target actions you tonight.
Scroll of Insight: The next time your target would be changed, it is not changed.
Scroll of the Clear Mind: The target cannot be redirected this night.
Wand of Cantrips: You perform a random action on a random target.  Possible actions: inspect, randomize, track, protect, block, grant common item
Scroll of Knowledge: You learn of all actions that target you tonight.  You do not know who performed these actions.

I also changed these, because I felt they were strong as-is:
Scroll of enchant armor: Target gains 25% kill resistance.  This does not stack with itself.
Scroll of enchant weapon: Target's kill gain additional 20% chance to ignore kill resistance.  This does not stack with itself.

I kind of want to move those to uncommon and buff them a bit back up, but I'd like more commons to replace them- I want at least 20 commons (which there are right now).

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 09, 2011, 06:26:10 am »

I also changed these, because I felt they were strong as-is:
Scroll of enchant armor: Target gains 25% kill resistance.  This does not stack with itself.
Scroll of enchant weapon: Target's kill gain additional 20% chance to ignore kill resistance.  This does not stack with itself.

I made them common because there needs to be as many commons as possible. Of course, I was kinda forcing them into common, so moot point.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 11, 2011, 10:03:02 pm »

If you still need more commons, you could make action-specific or conditional effects. "Blocks the target's inspect" or "if the target redirects, you inspect them," that kind of thing.

You could probably also get a fair amount of mileage out of the "this night only" or "stays on the target until it activates" distinction.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 11, 2011, 10:09:49 pm »

Hmm... I like that thought.  I haven't seen many in the way of "apply X effect to target until Y happens" roles in the games I've played and read, but I already have a couple in the item list.  I'll try to put some together.

Irony, is this a game you were planning on running or just thoughts you were putting out?  If you're not planning to run it, I'd like to some time.

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 11, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »

I like the "this night only" vs. "until (de)activated"; that's a good idea. Not so much for the conditionals; relying on coincidence renders the item useless most of the time ("inspect if redirect" is useless if no redirect, yes? You just wasted your night action).

One additional thing you can do to multiply your commons is to make potions in addition to scrolls. Potion of protect, scroll of protect, two items with the same effect/function. Unless you want to make potions only be used on self, but probably not -- just throwing the potion should work if you want to affect someone else.

I'm very much looking forward to this game.
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 11, 2011, 10:24:50 pm »

Scroll of Snooping: The next time the target uses an item, you are told the name of that item.
Scroll of the Thick Skull: The target is both randomized and protected.
Scroll of Sticky Sap: Target's action is delayed until the next night.
Scroll of Jailing: The target is both blocked and protected.
Scroll of Safe Travels: The target is both tracked and protected.

Five new commons.  The last three exist as uncommon wands as well.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 11, 2011, 11:21:23 pm »

Just putting thoughts out; feel free. I'll probably join, in fact.

The conditionals was mostly to power down effects so they could be common, though I'm having trouble coming up with good examples. Even a staff of nightkill on inspect is kinda weak for a common, at least in a game where you're likely to get other options.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 108