Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Making HFS scarier  (Read 32800 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Making HFS scarier
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2010, 08:34:51 pm »

Why are we saying clowns?
Because I made a clown mod and they want to confuse me and newcomers.

Seriously guys, it is confusing at times.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:41:42 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2010, 12:15:59 am »

Just wanted to drop in and say I'm proud of all the great ideas this thread has come up with.  Personally, I lean toward having the HFS be beatable, but with weird mental effects like those listed making just blocking it up again difficult to maintain over the long term...but certain spiritual methods somewhat effective at reducing the mental issues--just like soldiers can, with good preparation and some luck deal with the actual demons themselves.  I don't have a preference about recurrent attacks.

But that's just me.  Variety is good too. 

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2010, 06:17:16 pm »

Since the gods locked them away, and since our dwarfs worship them, a clown might escape and kill your god.
For they would be your masters.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2010, 06:56:37 pm »

Since the gods locked them away, and since our dwarfs worship them, a clown might escape and kill your god.

Ok, that would just be awesome.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2010, 11:07:20 pm »

Atleast it might give some additional motivation for not piercing the HFS in the first place, if the gods themselves might turn their collective backs to you.

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2010, 12:14:35 am »

What if the HFS gets breached and then your god comes down.

A message appears, like "Foolish mortal, you've broken the seal and released unspeakable horrors on this world!" Then a divine god megabeast appears with an army of angels, and has an OMGWTFBBQ awesome godly battle.

But that would get REALLY annoying real quick.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2010, 12:30:04 am »

What if the HFS got breached and all your alchohol turned to blood, and all your food rotted, and all your iron/steel rusted, and all the trees on the map died?

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2010, 01:04:59 am »

I like the idea about trees dying. Well, at least all losing their leaves, like they do in winter. The other two would basically just screw you over randomly.

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2010, 01:14:10 am »

What if the HFS got breached and all your alchohol turned to blood, and all your food rotted, and all your iron/steel rusted, and all the trees on the map died?

And then your dwarves become slaves to Armok, the god of blood!

(because like, he comes out of the HFS and enslaves your fortress as he ruins your supplies)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2010, 04:56:31 am »

Screwing you over randomly is kind of the point. The gods have turned against you.

That means walking outside during a thunderstorm while wearing metal armour should be of greater concern than previously.

jokuvaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2010, 10:56:36 am »

just make weaponsmiths produce occasional demon infused weapons while under effects of HFS, being superior to normal weapons and not affecting dwarves at all... until.. one wielding them manages to die and gets resurrected as demonic champion with whatever weapons & artifacts he was wearing and proceeds to slaughter your fort while raising the dead to serve as his minions.
Thikut Inethmuzish, Recruit cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too Insane.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2010, 05:43:34 pm »

Screwing you over randomly is kind of the point.
Yes, because screwing the player is the absolute best example of good game design ever, no questions asked.

Or rather, just the opposite.  Seriously, Badger, why do you think the best game features are the ones would be the most annoying?

Also, you don't need to call them clowns.  As far as this thread has gotten I think it'd be hard not to know what HFS is.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »

Playing Devil's Avocado Advocaat Advocate here, if there was a chance that opening the pits up MIGHT just screw you over (bearing in mind there would ideally be a spectrum of potential side-effects, and it would have to be in some creative way) then it could introduce some potential interesting decisions for the player?

I suppose you just have to make sure that is the other-side-of game design from a pop-up screen that says "YOU LOSE".

e.g. (bad, poorly thought out idea alert) If all the dead became aggressive zombies (including from the tombs), that would in 9 times out of 10 be a no-way-out situation, but that could be FUN?

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »

Huh, I always thought Adamantine was created by the Demons as Dwarf Bait.  That would be why all the veins point toward their caves.

I wonder what they used to get the elves?

edit: bah, I just realized I responded to the bottom of page 2 and not page 3.  I really ought to use more quotes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:57:39 pm by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2010, 07:03:48 pm »

Screwing you over randomly is kind of the point.
Yes, because screwing the player is the absolute best example of good game design ever, no questions asked.

Or rather, just the opposite.  Seriously, Badger, why do you think the best game features are the ones would be the most annoying?

Also, you don't need to call them clowns.  As far as this thread has gotten I think it'd be hard not to know what HFS is.

It's the worst kept secret ever. The game would be better having demons, which you can refer to as, well, demons, and something else that you can only refer to as HFS.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13