Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130388 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2009, 11:19:00 pm »

4th Galena, 206, Late Summer
-------------

"Zon, I don't like being led around like this!"

"You can open your eyes in a second, Asob!  I want you to be surprised."

"This better be good, if you really think it's going to be enough for me to forgive you!"

"I promise.  And... we're here!  Open your--"

"I could smell the bestiary from 20 Urists away."

"...Congratulations, you ruined the surprise!  Open your eyes, already!"

Asob opened her eyes, and was greeted to my... err, apology.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"...Um, what am I looking at here?"

"The bestiary, of course!  The giant eagle and her chicks are here, and so is the cougar and the two wolves.  But!  I've just added a grizzly bear to the north wall, and restrained a deer right in the center of the room, between all the dangerous predators!"

"..."

"...Well?"

"No."

"What?  No, see, it's an artistic expression!  The irony is that they're all tame, so while they aren't going to hurt each other, you can see the hunger in their eyes!  Don't mind the horse and the groundhogs, they kind of just wandered in on their own. "

"You're horrible."

I sigh.  "There's just no pleasing you, is there?"

"You're horrible."

I throw my hands up.  "At least Inod likes it... I thought you'd appreciate my modifications to your art, like with the obsidian."

"But see, that's why you're horrible... at understanding art!"

"...Beg pardon?"

"See, it's obvious you were trying to modify my work again because it worked the first time!  And it's obvious you were going for dramatic irony with a twist on the 'Circle of Life' - sorry, Zon, but the great artist Odil Rigòthishen already beat you to it.  And when art is obvious, it isn't any good."

"Odil Craftpassions, huh?  Wait a second... Rigòthishen?  Is she related to--"

"Fikod Rigòthishen, our miner!  So, you're starting to regain that compassion for your fellow dwarf!  I can't fault you for not having a great aesthetic sensitivity, big deal.  You tried, and I appreciate the gesture.  I forgive you, Zon!"

"Great!  Now then... how are we doing with the fountain project?"

"We need more grates.  The masons are all being slow about it, on account of their attention being divided by the giant eagle roost."

"Ah, right... that.  Well, we'll just power away at those in the meantime."

"Oh!  Do you want to hear my first mandate?"

"What?  Oh, right!  I forgot to congratulate you on being elected mayor."

"Thank you!  My first act as mayor: Export of beds is prohibited!"

"...Beds, huh.  Well.  I guess you should make sure a certain broker knows that!"

"That's me, silly.  Or did you forget?"

"...No, I knew.  I was making a joke."

"Ugh!  Your jokes are worse than Unib's!"

Unib.  Now there's a name I hadn't heard in a while.  Now that Asob is mayor, she'll get the special treat of meeting the merchant liaison of The Swift Arches.  I wonder about her... is she still on her plot to uncover what we're doing here?  The King himself is here to oversee the mission!  Would she really dare continue her investigation right under his nose?

((Commentary))
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:28:26 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2009, 11:24:11 pm »

Tremendously entertaining as always!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2009, 12:03:45 am »

Unib.  Now there's a name I hadn't heard in a while.  Now that Asob is mayor, she'll get the special treat of meeting the merchant liaison of The Swift Arches.  I wonder about her... is she still on her plot to uncover what we're doing here?  The King himself is here to oversee the mission!  Would she really dare continue her investigation right under his nose?

Unfortunately, since the King has arrived at your fortress, you will never see Unib again - the arrival of the King turns your fortress into the Mountainhome whether triggered by Adamantine or wealth, and the liaison does not visit the mountainhome ((s)he actually becomes the royal Advisor).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2009, 12:32:46 am »

9th Limestone, 206, Early Autumn
-------------

A vile force of darkness has arrived! 

"Lots o' goblins, Zon!  Today we'll taste victory!  It matters not how many goblins--"

"Eighteen wrestler gobs, twelve axegobs, two goblin axe lords including the decorated Olngö Dospoem Tokxemösmlo Smaxa, the Old Perfection of Accidents, six bowgobs, and three guards, one of them titled as well - Song Ulatu Olngöraslost Snuna, the Monstrous Counsellor of Fortunes."

"Uh... How do you know all of that?"

"Because Olngö is a local leader, and Song is their damn ruler.  The other axelord, Song Ozautes, is another local leader.  They freaking mean business this time."

"Oh.  Wow.  Dibs on Song!  You hear me Archibold?  Back off and let us get a few kills this time!"

Grendus picked up a hammer that she just now started learning to use and headed out to the field.  I'm glad Grendus is feeling confident about this.  I'm pretty worried, to be quite honest.  We're going to be taking casualties, that's for certain...

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) I sigh and designate some coffins at the masonry shop, and watch the battle unfold.

"Grendus... Oh, to be taken so soon before your rise to glory."

"What?  I'm right here."

"Eh?  But... this is Grendus' corpse!"

"No, no.  I'm the other Grendus.  I see how you could get us confused, we both wield hammers."

"...Eh.  You know what?  You guys go ahead and keep renaming yourselves however you want.  Hey, at least you have four kills, that's more than... err... First Grendus had.  I'm going to count and bury the dead..."

"As for me," Archibold chimed in, "I'm going to go count and piss upon my dead!  Top of the list, shall we?"

Before she finished listing off her seven rhesus macaques, Archibold fell over in pain.  Apparently, she hadn't noticed her broken right lower arm.  She's quickly carried off to bed.

"I'll help!"  Imush the marksdwarf came stumbling down the stairs.  "Where'd everybody go?  Those goblins have some kind of newfangled magic darkness or something?"

"What are you-- AUGH!!  Your eyes are missing!!"

Imush, too, is lead off to his bed.  He kept swearing he felt fine, but... ew, that's an image I won't soon forget!

Olngö got away, but we killed both Songs, the local leader and the ruler.  Archibold killed both, but strangely enough she changed the translation of the ruler's name to Roarspiders the Umbral Bar of Continents... Huh?  Can champions do that?  I check the logs and... oh, wait, there was another goblin named Song with a long title that I had overlooked.  Nobody else is claiming the kill for the goblin leader, so it must have been a war dog.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 09:54:54 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2009, 12:40:02 am »

Wow, I kick ass. Archibold is a fine name, but mind giving me the job "Architect of Slaughter"? I like to think I engineer the defeat of every enemy. They all give in to my designs. I'm building a name for myself! Ok, out of architect puns. But it took me a while to build up to that. Gah! There I go again?
The sigs topic:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2009, 01:07:14 am »

One easy way to see if the Ruler got killed is to check your (c)iv screen - if he's dead, he won't be in the list anymore.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2009, 05:36:59 am »

Durn't grey mean bruised? That just means he got two black eyes and went to sleep it off.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2009, 08:59:25 am »

Durn't grey mean bruised? That just means he got two black eyes and went to sleep it off.

Light gray is "lightly injured". Dark gray is "gone", whether cut off or torn out. If you compare that screenshot to the others, it's fairly easy to see that it's dark gray.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2009, 09:35:23 am »

Wow, gained a dwarf, lost a dwarf, and gained another in the same story... that has to be a record.

Great update.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2009, 01:04:53 pm »

One easy way to see if the Ruler got killed is to check your (c)iv screen - if he's dead, he won't be in the list anymore.

He is definitely dead, and has been replaced with a different ruler.  He also shows up dead on my units screen and I've even found his corpse.  My question was "Who killed him?" and after probably 30 minutes of searching the kills on my living and dead soldiers I couldn't find his name.  So... he had to have been killed by a dog.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:06:42 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2009, 01:10:46 pm »

Civ members never get replaced after worldgen - once you've killed them, their position remains empty forever. If there's still a Ruler in the civ list (and there was only one Ruler in the list previously), then he escaped and you killed somebody else with a similar name. In my last fort, I got sieged by the goblin civ's Local Leader and Ruler, and once they were both dead, the (c)iv screen just said "This land has no important leaders".

Any "important" unit will flash similar to a Legendary dwarf (though at a different rate), and their corpse will also flash the same way (at least until it rots away).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:14:28 pm by Quietust »

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2009, 04:08:18 pm »

He is definitely dead, and has been replaced with a different ruler.  He also shows up dead on my units screen and I've even found his corpse.  My question was "Who killed him?" and after probably 30 minutes of searching the kills on my living and dead soldiers I couldn't find his name.  So... he had to have been killed by a dog.

Save, make a copy of the folder, abandon and check the legends. Then you can find out who killed Song.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2009, 07:47:47 pm »

On another note of odd things, my Philosopher dislikes intellectual conversations. I think that goes into the bugs/oversights section. Though that's not to say a philosopher could never have that trait; it just seems a little odd.
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2009, 09:15:21 pm »

I thought rulers always get replaced with goblins?  There's definitely something weird going on, then, because my civ screen definitely displays a different ruler than the one before the fight.  I had the game windowed and typed out the ruler's name while the civ screen was up before the fight.  I just might have to check histories to see what's wrong...
Do it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2009, 09:38:12 pm »

I am very much entertained by this.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54