Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8087 8088 [8089] 8090 8091 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9534230 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121320 on: December 26, 2022, 04:00:25 pm »

Didn't Alexander also catch malaria at some point while in India? I might be misremembering.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121321 on: December 26, 2022, 04:27:22 pm »

I have to listen to "irreversible damage chapter eight" for a car ride with my father. It's all about the evils of transgenders and how they're ruining everything. I'm forbidden from commenting on anything I feel is wrong or walk home. They're accusing school therapists of turning your kids into Trans and ruining families

All I wanted to do today was get my goddamn tires changed. But mom doesn't wanna because she doesn't feel good, nevermind all she has to do is fucking drive. So now I have to sit in a car with mister pissed off and angry at everything
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121322 on: December 26, 2022, 04:35:25 pm »

/bay/ doesn't have a solidarity fist emoji, but you can pretend I'm giving you one
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121323 on: December 26, 2022, 04:48:30 pm »

In fact, Alexander was never defeated in battle. Ever.
Or, so the story goes.
Peter Green makes an interesting argument towards the end of his book 'Alexander the Great', pointing out certain inconsistencies in the accounts of Alex's first confrontation with the Persians at Granicus. The battle includes such feats as a successful cavalry charge over the river into prepared infantry lines. The argument goes, there were possibly two battles in short succession there, with the first one resulting in a failure due to the aforementioned tactical disadvantage, and only the second attempt - after regrouping and approaching from another direction - succeeding in routing the Persians. But the two were (again, so goes the hypothesis) subsequently presented as one successful battle to help build Alexander's reputation as an undefeated commander.

Green's was the only modern publication I've read on the subject (apart from decidedly dated Arrian's Anabasis), so I've no idea how well it holds up in other historians' eyes.
In any case, it's perhaps worth keeping in mind that propaganda wasn't invented yesterday.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121324 on: December 27, 2022, 03:34:30 am »

Jesus, don't be learning that.
But how can I become smart if I don't learn things even if the things are wrong?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #121325 on: December 27, 2022, 04:37:17 am »

Alexander reigned only for 12 years so it's not totally unthinkable he was undefeated in battle, there's also reports that he got wounded in many of them.
After all he's not the only commander in history that has such reputation
https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Commanders_who_never_lost_a_battle

And of course, propaganda, racial/ethnic/nation/ideology/self/etc...  glorification also probably played a role in the reports of all those "undefeated" guys, especially when sources are from the same side.
In the case of Alexander, so many sources are lost with time and on the 5 sources that are considered major, the closest in time is still 200 years apart from Alexander era.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121326 on: December 27, 2022, 09:08:44 am »

Communication is an illusion boindaries are a farce. Even your pets fart on favourite fancy new reclIning chair when you're not at home and that's about as straightforward 'a love you can expect.
let

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121327 on: December 27, 2022, 11:47:07 am »

Communication is an illusion boindaries are a farce. Even your pets fart on favourite fancy new reclIning chair when you're not at home and that's about as straightforward 'a love you can expect.

wat
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121328 on: December 27, 2022, 12:14:37 pm »

exactly when I'm at my most lucid that's what I get

it's like when I'm super frowney and depressed and suddenly I get the nicest most genuine smiles by widly eligible specimen.... it's not about me, it never was, it ain't even about altruism, it's just an innate intuition of the push and pull, because I most want to get away they feel compelled to come towards me... It's all just a sick joke.
let

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121329 on: December 27, 2022, 12:25:07 pm »

exactly when I'm at my most lucid that's what I get

it's like when I'm super frowney and depressed and suddenly I get the nicest most genuine smiles by widly eligible specimen.... it's not about me, it never was, it ain't even about altruism, it's just an innate intuition of the push and pull, because I most want to get away they feel compelled to come towards me... It's all just a sick joke.

What does this mean?!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121330 on: December 27, 2022, 02:29:07 pm »

The doublesnakedicked demiurge impeesoned the light onto the turtleback. Eventho most of it missed, the turtle is not happy about it.
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121331 on: December 27, 2022, 03:07:09 pm »

As based and incomprehensible as always dragdeler.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121332 on: December 27, 2022, 05:35:52 pm »

I'd rather have taken a knee to the face I still resent her for looking so sweet, like was I supposed to recognize her or something? All day I let the anger flow through me shrugged at all the means to get some feedback, all the vivid flashes of opportunity... Worked with stern determination balancing between hands trembling from anger and not breaking a sweat, huffing up all the cold, in a whirlwind of chaos, with the other dude having trouble leaving the office. Fuck yeah we suckin out any semblance of relaxation you might have gotten HARD, what's new, human right nay primal need to dispose of waste, motherfuckers how could you close for 3 days. I didn't raise my voice or anything and then she just gets to show up and raise the difficulty bar fuck no I didn't ask for homework. Let's hope that after the initial melting and quick stare away as if I forgot something, which I kinda did, the double down yellow smile was just the right kind of wrong, I didn't dare to grimace to the cardbox cutout angel, she was to difficult to hate, and I resent her for that.

There is a two day weekend ahead imagine that and I basically checked off anybody who'd wanna see me so... there is no way I'm taking home some hematome or some laceration or something like that... because that shit is getting old. If I somehow manage to "hurt" myself just right amount with normal effort that I just nap the tainted by social contact friday off grumpy AF, without depressurizing by drinking and ruining a precious day alone, that's like the best case scenario. Maybe I should keep on with just a small meal a day until friday, that's bound to hurt me just right so I don't want to fight anymore right? I still have a sandwich to football punt in my backpack take that starving kids. Fuck life. Mic drop.
let

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121333 on: December 27, 2022, 09:36:33 pm »

First Doge Kabosu is sick.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #121334 on: December 27, 2022, 11:05:10 pm »

I feel like I'm having a stroke.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 8087 8088 [8089] 8090 8091 ... 8169