Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8085 8086 [8087] 8088 8089 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9533817 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121290 on: December 24, 2022, 11:53:13 am »

Everything we do is meaningless beyond the meaning we ascribe to it.

Objection: premise stated as fact without evidence.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #121291 on: December 24, 2022, 12:47:50 pm »

Everything we do is meaningless beyond the meaning we ascribe to it.

(an incomplete list of) Premises below this:
  • it's impossible to decide the meaning of life by being inside the system of life.
  • just because events have cause-and-effect to them doesn't mean there is universally evident meaning behind it.

I mean, I absolutely agree with both, but I also take both (plus others that need to be taken as an axiomatic rule) for granted. "Shit happens regardless of our, or any other entity's ability to derive meaning out of it. If there is universal meaning, it cannot be accessed from within the realm of the living."

My objection to McTraveller's objection is: How would you even begin to disprove "everything's meaningless except what meaning we give it" without already taking it as false? How would you prove "everything's meaningless except what meaning we give it" without already taking it as true?

My belief is that this looks like you're differing over axioms, and I can't imagine that being very productive at all...? There's probably good conversation to be had in asking why we take on the axioms we do, but I don't feel it makes much sense to split hairs on things that descend so directly from the axioms.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 12:58:55 pm by methylatedspirit »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121292 on: December 24, 2022, 01:17:27 pm »

The (an?) alternate premise is "things inherently have meaning, not predicated on us having to ascribe anything, but given by something outside of ourselves."
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #121293 on: December 24, 2022, 01:45:51 pm »

Fair enough.

...great, what now? Supposing that you believe it for the sake of illustration, as someone who doesn't believe your premise, how could I ever unconvince you of it? And how would you ever convince me of it? I could say that things inherently have external meaning in groups of entities, but those external meanings are local and cannot be transferred out of those groups. I think it's a reasonable first approximation for talking about how people act, but I'm ultimately basing that assumption on "it looks like that". How am I gonna show evidence for that without invoking itself?

In my head, this is like how elliptical and hyperbolic geometry is based on rejections of the original Parallel Postulate; you haven't made a better or worse geometry, you just made different ones. You haven't made a better or worse way of thinking about the world, you just made a different one.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 01:47:46 pm by methylatedspirit »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121294 on: December 24, 2022, 02:42:13 pm »

Last week was already a sad moment, when the Taliban passed a new law that forbids women from attending university or any other post-primary school education.
Today they also passed a law that forbids women to work at local and foreign NGOs.

Hate it that I was right when I said that anyone actually believing the Taliban's promises about women rights was not in their right mind.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 02:44:10 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121295 on: December 24, 2022, 08:36:40 pm »

I have been working for this place for two weeks, it is one of the worst organized I've ever worked at, and the crew I'm supposed to be working with on weekends makes no effort to explain expectations. Residents tickets aren't updated with new preferences, my coworkers don't mention that one cart is complete and the next should begin, they expect me to call out information haphazardly, but I never recieved training on that part of the job anyway. Then the cook is getting all upset I'm not reading it out like she wants, and then getting stuck, and ignoring me when I do call out what she wants on the next one because she's not listening to me. I'm apparently too loud tlfor their liking as well, so I get to use my whispering voice. While the other aide is talking over me about nonsense unrelated to the meal were serving.

It's nonstop BS, I can't communicate with these people, and they're getting angry at me for it. Which is making me angry.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121296 on: December 24, 2022, 08:54:34 pm »

New job time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121297 on: December 24, 2022, 08:58:07 pm »

Last week was already a sad moment, when the Taliban passed a new law that forbids women from attending university or any other post-primary school education.
Today they also passed a law that forbids women to work at local and foreign NGOs.

Hate it that I was right when I said that anyone actually believing the Taliban's promises about women rights was not in their right mind.

And of course, the reasoning is to protect women.

Pretty sure that the women *are* being protected by following this. They're being protected from being beaten and raped by the Taliban for refusing to follow their incredibly discriminatory laws by following them.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121298 on: December 24, 2022, 11:16:57 pm »

If you don't rape and murder women to enforce your position of power, how are you going to maintain a moral society?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #121299 on: December 25, 2022, 01:48:17 am »

And of course, the reasoning is to protect women.

Pretty sure that the women *are* being protected by following this. They're being protected from being beaten and raped by the Taliban for refusing to follow their incredibly discriminatory laws by following them.

Yes, when the "protection" is protecting against the same people claiming to offer the protection, it's uhh not called protection, it's called a racket at best.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121300 on: December 25, 2022, 05:02:15 am »

I don't get why the Taliban is allowed to continue to exist, they're a bunch of bastards and need to be gotten rid of.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121301 on: December 25, 2022, 05:55:40 am »

'I don't get why the Taliban is allowed to continue to exist, they're a bunch of bastards and need to be gotten rid of.'
- Alexander the Great, 330 BC

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121302 on: December 25, 2022, 06:37:03 am »

My Total War learnt knowledge says Alexander's men who stayed on the Indian border were the original Taliban
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #121303 on: December 25, 2022, 03:15:54 pm »

Didn't get a call or a text from the one person I was hoping to hear from.  :(
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121304 on: December 25, 2022, 03:23:35 pm »

Is there anything stopping you from calling or texting them?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 8085 8086 [8087] 8088 8089 ... 8169