Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7513 7514 [7515] 7516 7517 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8931050 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112710 on: March 25, 2018, 07:45:53 am »

Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112711 on: March 25, 2018, 11:20:58 am »

What I've hears is that the Golden Age of Islam was closely linked to taking over Hellenic cultural centers eg Alexandria

Or Persian. I can't remember off-hand but I think Baghdad was founded by the Abbadids though.
Yeah, the version of the story that I'd read was that the ancient Persians were the ones who collected and worked on most of the science and worldly observations, and when their old holdings and libraries were conquered by a Muslim lord, he ordered all the texts translated to Arabic so that he'd be able to tell which ones were heretical and needed to be burned.

Several hundred years later, when they were finally finished translating and copying it all, the conqueror was long since dead and forgotten and the Arabic world had turned into the bustling center of trade and information that eventually got sacked during the crusades. And now they had centuries of advanced thinking and knowledge collected during Persia's far-reaching affairs suddenly at their fingertips, allowing the more erudite members of the merchant and noble classes to educate themselves and build upon the principles they found therein. And then, thanks to the commercial and religious networks of the Holy Land, their findings got plenty of exposure and became renowned.

So, it's a combination. They didn't think it all up on their own from scratch, nor did they just steal or claim credit for something. They got a powerful groundwork handed to them, and then were able to build upon it significantly thanks to the economic and cultural situation of their geographical location.

As to whether or not that's the real story, I have no idea. That's just the take on it that I was exposed to, and it made enough sense to me at the time.
If you're curious, the terms you'd want to look up are "Islamic Golden Age" and "House of Wisdom," in Baghdad.

Sufficed to say, whoever told you that was... Quite wrong. Both in timescale (it took at most a generation to get a sizable library of Arab works, and the effect on Islamic society was quite strong within a century) sourcing (it was from "all corners of the world," not just the Persian libraries) and reasoning (nothing about heresy, simply accumulation of knowledge and information)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112712 on: March 25, 2018, 04:39:14 pm »

:(

Anything I/we could do to help? I mean, I know we're just people on a forum, but if there's something.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112713 on: March 25, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »

Oh man that sucks. It seems it's out of my capacity to help you beyond being a comprensive ear for your troubles. PM or here if you want to.

Have you tried to get help like rehab, AA or something?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112714 on: March 26, 2018, 06:17:31 am »

I went through the whole AA and rehab and court mandated sobriety thing before. I know how all that goes and I don't think it would help. Thinking on it now that I'm not in the middle of a severe depressive episode, I do drink too much but I was maybe being too unforgiving and harsh with myself.

Venting my emotional flotsam here often helps me more than anything else I've tried. I really should start taking my actual medication again and stop street-medicating.

Anyway I appreciate y'all being concerned and supportive. Like I said, bay12 is one of the few things that helps.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112715 on: March 26, 2018, 06:20:16 am »

In fact I know this is true, I too vent a lot of crap here and it helps A LOT.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112716 on: March 26, 2018, 06:35:20 am »

It's great that Toady would create a game which draws together supportive folks.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112717 on: March 26, 2018, 09:33:23 am »

I actually, in a manic and overly emotional moment, sent a message to Toady thanking him for making this community and explaining how much it helped. He didn't reply but he's a busy guy, I didn't expect or ask for a response. I was just saying thanks.
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112718 on: March 26, 2018, 09:34:58 am »

I actually, in a manic and overly emotional moment, sent a message to Toady thanking him for making this community and explaining how much it helped. He didn't reply but he's a busy guy, I didn't expect or ask for a response. I was just saying thanks.

How is that a sad? He'd certainly appreciate it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112719 on: March 26, 2018, 11:08:15 am »

It was related to the above conversation. Not necessarily a sad on its own.
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112721 on: March 26, 2018, 07:55:17 pm »

The armor games forum is dead

Those are the guys Angry Birds stole their game from.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #112723 on: March 26, 2018, 08:18:26 pm »

Sad to see flash go.
It was inevitable.
In a time before time, I had a name.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112724 on: March 26, 2018, 09:00:29 pm »

Flash games are still a thing?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 7513 7514 [7515] 7516 7517 ... 8159