Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7419 7420 [7421] 7422 7423 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9500209 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #111300 on: July 31, 2017, 06:50:56 am »

I mean, the issue is the law. It's like being sad that a government is actually enforcing it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #111301 on: July 31, 2017, 08:29:16 am »

Past Sunday, Russian authorities annouonced a ban on the use of vpn secure internet connections.
At the same time, Apple decided to remove all vpn-apps that can circumvent the Great Chinese Firewall from the Chinese app-store, to help China restrict vpn use.

Freedom of information dealt another blow. Not surprising, still sad.

Well, Russian authorities also announced so-called "Anti-Terrorism law" (It was somewhere in July 2016), which means you can be arrested if you plan a terrorist attack in advance. But that's not the horrible part, the horrible part is that the Internet/phones will be wiretapped when the law will become enforced in November 2018, so you can be arrested quite easily if you say anti-government stuff on the Internet/cellphone. I wish I could immigrate to the EU, but I have no education, aside of 9 grades of school, and I also speak with a heavy accent, so no ability/opportunity to immigrate for me. It's hard to find a ray of sunshine in the deep cave that is real life, isn't?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111302 on: July 31, 2017, 12:44:35 pm »

I am 25 years old if that helps. :p
What the hell. Hans is only a year older than I!?
That feels weird as hell. You're always bustin' out all sorts of mad wisdom shit.
In related news, I am quite perturbed by the approach of my quarter-century milestone myself. And thinking of how long I've been a member here simply makes it worse... what have I been doing in all that time? At least my life seems to have improved considerably overall, albeit with plenty of low points in there.
Still, it's somewhat concerning that I still turn to this far-flung community of internet strangers so often, be it for support, advice, to vent and rant, or simply to communicate with someone when my lack of meatspace social skills are getting me down. :-/

I am wiser than my age would suggest. Experience yo. I've stared down judges asking me why they shouldn't send me to prison, squared up with and intimidated a geetered out meth head, and been to Florida. You either learn fast or die young doing all that.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #111303 on: July 31, 2017, 01:42:49 pm »

I uh

beat Mario Bros.

Clearly I am more experienced.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111304 on: July 31, 2017, 02:01:47 pm »

Frumple, having lived in Florida his entire life, has at this pointed transcended age and become all and none years old.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111305 on: July 31, 2017, 02:19:15 pm »

Frumple, having lived in Florida his entire life, has at this pointed transcended age and become all and none years old.

Florida is where Australia where will one day retire and die. The Land that Age forgot.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #111306 on: July 31, 2017, 08:06:45 pm »

asdfghaaaaaaaa

Got called in to work today on my day off because they were swamped and understaffed and no one else could come in to help.

On the one hand, I got extra money and I wasn't doing much else with my time today.

On the other hand, that was one of my few times off work and instead I had to spend it working.

I just want it all to stop.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #111307 on: August 01, 2017, 08:28:24 pm »

Started thinking about my time at the middle and high school out east where kids were messing with me all the time and staff would basically tell me to solve my own problems and then punished me when i couldnt come up with good solutions. I realized, i would still literally break that principles and gym coaches jaws if i got the chance. I feel like having to put up with those spoiled brats and lazy staff is most of the reason my life has been nothing but shit since and im in therapy now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #111308 on: August 01, 2017, 08:36:36 pm »

I can seriously empathize with that.  I went to a school for 4 years where the staff directly enabled, or even participated in bullying.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111309 on: August 01, 2017, 09:08:16 pm »

Started thinking about my time at the middle and high school out east where kids were messing with me all the time and staff would basically tell me to solve my own problems and then punished me when i couldnt come up with good solutions. I realized, i would still literally break that principles and gym coaches jaws if i got the chance. I feel like having to put up with those spoiled brats and lazy staff is most of the reason my life has been nothing but shit since and im in therapy now.
I'm really quite glad my own school is a lot more proactive in stopping bullying, but even that feels like not enough rather frequently.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #111310 on: August 01, 2017, 09:16:04 pm »

At my high school, the administration was so afraid of negative publicity (the school I went to is (or at least was, I haven't kept track of it) something of a crown jewel of our education system, with people coming from around the globe to study what we were doing) that they tried very hard to keep the (relatively few) major bullying incidents quiet. This resulted in victims of male-on-male sexual harassment (myself and at least one other then-freshman) being told "he's just trying to make you mad, play along and it will freak him out" and an incident where an older student didn't like my relationship with his sister (which he expressed by holding me against a locker by the throat) being completely brushed under the rug.

This changed a great deal my senior year, as most of the senior faculty mysteriously took early retirement or something.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111311 on: August 03, 2017, 05:31:36 am »

You know, maybe I'm simply not as chronically unhappy and crushingly depressed like I used to be, that's a good thing. That unhappiness has scaled back, and has degenerated from 'unhappy' to simply 'confused'.

Like... and I've asked this question before... Like, how do you even meet people? Like, make friends or meet members of the opposite sex? I'm sure the question is reductive to the point of stupidity, but it's one that has been a sticking point for my entire life now. I can blame the increasingly large emphasis on technology, in how people's social lives are basically subcontracted to Facebook at this point, or I can blame the effect of affluency in modern western culture reducing the necessity for strong community and therefore closeness between people that is based in a sense of hard pragmatism, but goddamn it really seems like the majority of people just have no problem with this shit.

It doesn't help that actual, real examples of this behavior is either so astonishingly rare that I never get to see it in the wild (and thus mimic it crudely like the subpar learning AI that I am apparently), or it's happening all the time but in a stealthy form that I'm apparently completely blind and deaf to.

"Josh, just focus on your interests and let things happen naturally. IS IT REALLY SO HARD?" Yes it is, hypothetical interjector. I can't help but get the sense that everyone is simply wrapped up in the minutiae of their own lives, that everyone's social lives and emotional load are already at their breaking point, that my obtrusive desire for some connection is an unwanted burden. With this in mind, I can't help but get the feeling that everyone is neatly insulated away from me, existing behind a thin film, safe from my contamination.

When I was riding my bike the other day, I saw such a pleasant scene: a couple with a dancing instructor being taught how to do the four-step in preparation for their marriage ceremony. I stopped bicycling and even asked to watch, it was such a rare and lovely scene I simply had to study it closely. I felt like some avid naturalist sneaking up on some creatures in the middle of their mating dance; "Ah, and here we can find the Human Animal in their natural habitat. Their mating ceremony is both complex and informal, highly traditional and ritualized but also ruled and predicated solely by their primitive instincts. Studying them from afar, you'd never know how any of them manage it at all, but in practice they seem to do just fine."

But that seems to be the last thorn in my paw, just the feeling that we're all disgusting animals, that all our society building and inventions and whatnot are all just pretension, a thin disguise over our collective triviality and reptilian cave brains, which is our actual natural state. I mentioned in a sad post a while ago that I wanted to have more dignity than an animal's dignity, and that phrase has been echoing nonstop in my head ever since, because it's true, and it's also false. True because a good-faith effort has been made to rise and become greater than stupid creatures, and false because we, or atleast *I*, have failed spectacularly.

What does that actually mean in practice though? Well, even though I'm whining about my loneliness like a little bitch, out in the field I see people and I never feel any inclination or desire to actually talk to them or get closer to them. In everyone I can plainly see the mundanity of everyday people, that my mental image of getting closer to people perhaps vastly overhypes what people actually are: trivial beasts, with rarely any special qualities to them. And seeing that, I can't help but be repulsed from the very creatures who are my peers, who share their own trivialness with my own trivialness, who in fact have everything in common with me and upon whom their is a mutual and meaningful codependence for both survival and the meeting of those animal needs which we are unfairly saddled with. It is an affliction in which I am both disgusted with the world, and disgusted with myself for being disgusted with the world. It is a self-destructive compulsion, but I suppose the allure and intoxication of my own undeserved egotism and arrogance is simply irresistible to me...

I wonder where my breaking point is, or if I'll simply be taking this neurosis to my grave.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111312 on: August 04, 2017, 05:15:15 am »

I spent all night trying to fall asleep and failing because of my damned cold. Throat made it hurt to swallow, coughed constantly, only able to drift off for a few minutes...

Finally fall asleep-

To be woken up at 6 AM by a fire alarm going off.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111313 on: August 04, 2017, 05:45:22 am »

I spent all night trying to fall asleep and failing because of my damned cold. Throat made it hurt to swallow, coughed constantly, only able to drift off for a few minutes...

Finally fall asleep-

To be woken up at 6 AM by a fire alarm going off.

Yeah I know how tough it is to be a dragon in these flimsy modern buildings.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111314 on: August 04, 2017, 05:56:53 am »

it was set off by steam
fuckCCK
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
Pages: 1 ... 7419 7420 [7421] 7422 7423 ... 8168