Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7421 7422 [7423] 7424 7425 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9500209 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #111330 on: August 05, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »

Sad. Been playing the same game of civ4 caveman to cosmos now for what is it, 3 weeks or somesuch. I am currently in the late industrial age. Now the game crashes to desktop consistently. It's not the 'normal' out of memory issue well known to civ4 players. Dunno what it is, but I fear this save is dead :(
Damnit, I was playing this one to get to the future era, never seen that part of the mod.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111331 on: August 05, 2017, 05:56:55 pm »

-snip-
Posted another chapter. Even fewer replies than the last one.

Granted, not much happened, and I said that the 'juicy bit' is coming up next chapter. Maybe they're waiting for that. Yeah. Think positively.
And that, friends, is why you dony save wasps. Ungrateful bastards.

I'm tired, okay, I thought these were connected.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111332 on: August 05, 2017, 06:04:28 pm »

-snip-

Granted, not much happened, and I said that the 'juicy bit' is coming up next chapter. Maybe they're waiting for that. Yeah. Think positively.

Wasps are spiteful monsters and I am 100% ok with blaming them for this.

Also, keep writing!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #111333 on: August 05, 2017, 06:14:08 pm »

Walked through a spiderweb while walking the dog, and a wasp it had caught but not killed yet blamed me for its misfortune and stung me. Fucker got me good, it's been hours and the area around the sting is still swollen. Hopefully it doesn't last as long as the last one, I had almost a week of it when a yellowjacket got me last summer.

Do you feel that you're being punished?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111334 on: August 05, 2017, 07:03:13 pm »

Do you feel that you're being punished?
Maybe. I'm sure the spider will be fine with all the mosquitoes around but it was a mason wasp, which almost never sting unless you go out of your way to mess with them and make good pest control. Japanese beetles are doing enough damage as it is, I'm probably lucky it managed to get away unsmashed to keep the caterpillars away.

-snip-

Wasps are spiteful monsters and I am 100% ok with blaming them for this.

Also, keep writing!

Yeah, for sure. There's still plenty of folks keeping up, and even if they aren't super vocal you've still got a core readership invested in the story.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #111335 on: August 05, 2017, 11:54:13 pm »

So I think my marriage is finally over.

Spoiler: TLDR (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111336 on: August 06, 2017, 12:50:50 am »

That... sounds abusive as all fuck, SG. Not really sure if I got anything else I can say to that. Consider seeing if custody is a possibility?

If the kids are your worry and her behavior is like that, you've probably got decent odds providing you can get the right folks to testify, if everything else can get put largely in order... have a family member that's been wrestling with a roughly similar situation so far as that goes for a few years now. Major problem being the financials involved, unfortunately.

... any case, good luck. Stay safe. Try to remember that you being in that kind of relationship is probably pretty rough for your kids, too, so getting it to stop (which doesn't seem possible, from that and some of the stuff you've said previously) or getting you and/or them out can be important.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111337 on: August 06, 2017, 06:32:04 am »

What Frumple said.

One question though: You're only $1500 into buying a house, and moving out in four weeks? Seems very little...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111338 on: August 06, 2017, 07:09:34 am »

Eh... depending on the financing involved that can be about right. Couple thou' down payment, something similar monthly-ish going forward. From what I remember that kind of setup can pretty easily get pretty predatory, though. It'd also be in line if they were looking into a rent to own setup, which are sprinkled about here and there.

Could also just be referring to prep work/pre-move stuff, which can carry a nasty cost, occasionally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #111339 on: August 06, 2017, 01:07:45 pm »

Earnest money + inspection
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111340 on: August 06, 2017, 03:23:50 pm »

My coworker is a rude, feckless asshole. He shows up late every day, high as a kite, with a bad attitude, then proceeds to do his job slowly and incorrectly. He is rude to customers, once even calling one a faggot, rude to employees, and prone to rage outbursts. Yet somehow he is never in trouble and will probably get my morning shifts so he can fuck stuff up all morning.

I am so fucking obscenely furious and depressed about this. I've tried to get something to be done but nothing happened. I am just so tired of this hostile work environment.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #111341 on: August 06, 2017, 03:39:34 pm »

Sounds like he is in cahoots with someone in management maybe? A relative of sorts ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111342 on: August 06, 2017, 04:05:53 pm »

O tempora, o mores. We live in the Age of the Loudmouths. If you're rude and loud, you'll get somewhere in career life. If you're polite and friendly, you'll get trampled.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #111343 on: August 06, 2017, 04:18:15 pm »

once even calling one a faggot
Wow, on the clock too?  That's some fucking nerve.  Most places that customer would have found a way to report him.

There's someone like that at my work, but not nearly as bad.  She's a cashier and if she thought any customer was being rude to her she'd confront them about it.  She's also just sassy and needlessly informal/rude in general, granted she's young so its probably just foolishness.  Anyway, management responded by moving her to the employees only area so she can answer the phone, hand out equipment to employees, and do low-importance paperwork.  Basically be rude to us instead of the customers ::)

I did meet someone vaguely like that in college.  We had a group presentation, there were two people in my group and we had ~2 weeks to prepare.  Now, there's this guy who's perpetually late, confused and smelling of marijuana.  On the day of our presentation he comes into class, the two of us are grouped up to discuss last minute things, he comes up.  "Hey guys I ah, I think I'm in your group or something?"  Turns out, he actually was, and we had no idea because the way groups were assigned he would have had to tell us.  Thankfully the teacher didn't hold us responsible for any of this.

If you do want to see if management is in cahoots with him, mention to them some minor but egregious thing that he's done that can be verified.  Like leaving something unlocked or disorganized.  Try and get him in a little trouble without looking like you have a grudge.  Maybe if you get the shift after him mention whatever mess he made but pretend you don't know who did it.  If you're lucky, they'll start watching out for other things that he does.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #111344 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:08 pm »

So yeah... Its been an emotional day of arguments.  The only thing we agree on is that things have reached a point of truly fucked, and unlikely to reconcile between us.  But also that we don't want to split up the kids.  There's no way I can take care of them on my own.  And we can't afford to back out on the house process now.  So we're talking about just moving into this new place, putting up with each other, and doing whatever we need to do to raise the kids and pay bills.  But it will get ugly if she tries to continue dominating the household and my life like she always has, and it will be hard for me to move on and find myself in the mess of emotional baggage and avoidant social conditioning I've built up over the last 17 years if I'm still living with her.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 7421 7422 [7423] 7424 7425 ... 8168