Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7413 7414 [7415] 7416 7417 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9498792 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #111210 on: July 25, 2017, 01:20:19 pm »

Yeah debit cards are more secure. The thief might get something, but the bank will generally replace it if you can prove that it wasn't you.

It has happened to me, bank took care of it. If it was cash, it's gone.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #111211 on: July 25, 2017, 01:31:16 pm »

I've a debit card. Everyone I know has a debit card. I use mine much more than cash.

Credit cards, though, are indeed stupid.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111212 on: July 25, 2017, 03:18:29 pm »

I can understand why people might be leery of credit cards, but what on Earth is the problem with debit cards? They're vastly more convenient than cash or checks (outside of certain transactions) and safer, too. If you get mugged while carrying cash, you're out of luck. If the mugger gets your plastic on the other hand, you just call the bank and cancel the card(s) you lost. Replacements arrive within the week and the crook gets nothing.
my ass he wont. He'll just march you to an electronic cashier and make you pull out the maximum daily draw
Bullshit he will. Jumping a guy in an alley and stealing his wallet is one thing, trying to force them into a public location and hoping that your victim doesn't try to get help or just make a break for it is another entirely.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #111213 on: July 25, 2017, 03:30:22 pm »

I can understand why people might be leery of credit cards, but what on Earth is the problem with debit cards? They're vastly more convenient than cash or checks (outside of certain transactions) and safer, too. If you get mugged while carrying cash, you're out of luck. If the mugger gets your plastic on the other hand, you just call the bank and cancel the card(s) you lost. Replacements arrive within the week and the crook gets nothing.
my ass he wont. He'll just march you to an electronic cashier and make you pull out the maximum daily draw
Bullshit he will. Jumping a guy in an alley and stealing his wallet is one thing, trying to force them into a public location and hoping that your victim doesn't try to get help or just make a break for it is another entirely.
Automatic cashiers aren't that public, particularily at night.

I´ve known people who have had this happen to them. Muggers worked as a team actually. The SOP of one particular gang in the city where I studied was to surround the person, ask for the card and the pin. One mugger went to the cash machine to get the money, whereas the other two muggers stayed with the victim in case, eh, the pin provided was not real.

They were caught after a while, but it's far more than a hypothetical.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:32:24 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #111214 on: July 25, 2017, 03:31:43 pm »

My internet has died completely. We're considering replacing it with a microwave outfit, which would be faster but more expensive. Can hardly be less consistent than ADSL, the way this is going.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111215 on: July 25, 2017, 03:45:34 pm »

I´ve known people who have had this happen to them. Muggers worked as a team actually. The SOP of one particular gang in the city where I studied was to surround the person, ask for the card and the pin. One mugger went to the cash machine to get the money, whereas the other two muggers stayed with the victim in case, eh, the pin provided was not real.

Still way riskier and more complicated than just taking their stuff and bolting. Plus, dunno about your place, but in mine ATMs universally have cameras in them.
The idea is that cards are more secure than a pocket full of benjamins, not that they're absolutely secure and the money on them cannot be stolen at all ever.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111216 on: July 25, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »

Still way riskier and more complicated than just taking their stuff and bolting. Plus, dunno about your place, but in mine ATMs universally have cameras in them.
The idea is that cards are more secure than a pocket full of benjamins, not that they're absolutely secure and the money on them cannot be stolen at all ever.
Took a shower and came back to discover just what I would have said.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111217 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:36 pm »

I can only think he got confused on "debit" and "debt."

(tho why a bank would call their card a "debt card" is completely beyond me. talk about bad marketing.)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111218 on: July 26, 2017, 02:42:21 am »

I've never heard of either a debt card, or a debit card.
We call the thing the bank gives us to draw money from the ATM a 'pin pass (or just a bank pass)'. And yes, ofcourse people have those here. That's completely unrelated to a credit card.

I'm always slightly sad when supermarket employees are too bad at French to get my joke when they ask 'cash or pin', and I say 'cash, je ne pin pas'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111219 on: July 26, 2017, 03:03:08 am »

That seems like a localized term, because Google won't give me any results for either one.

Essentially, a debit card looks almost identical to a credit card, but it takes the money directly from your bank account on purchase.

Also apparently two factor authentication isn't a thing in US for cards, apparently?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #111220 on: July 26, 2017, 03:14:14 am »

Debit cards is what is used in my part of Europe too. They are very related to credit cards as they are functionally identical only without any credit.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111221 on: July 26, 2017, 03:24:07 am »

The pin pass / bankpass I mentioned can only be used to draw cash from an ATM or pay at a store's check-out. It can't be used like a credit card. With that I mean, you can't order something online and just give your bankpass number. You will need to go somewhere physically, to a place that has a cash register, to pay with them

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #111222 on: July 26, 2017, 04:40:40 am »

REMOVED!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:33:47 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111223 on: July 26, 2017, 06:21:18 am »

Depends. Do they have fast internet in there?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #111224 on: July 26, 2017, 06:33:34 am »

Depends. Do they have fast internet in there?

Excuse me for being whiny, I just sometime feel like a piece of shit... I'll remove my whiny post about asylum...
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 7413 7414 [7415] 7416 7417 ... 8168