Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7411 7412 [7413] 7414 7415 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9497661 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #111180 on: July 20, 2017, 01:19:15 am »

Still alive. Parts of me wonder why. Rest doesn't have enough drive to care.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #111181 on: July 20, 2017, 03:27:20 am »

I wish I could offer you guys something more tangible than sympathy. :(

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #111182 on: July 20, 2017, 02:01:51 pm »

So apparently Chester Bennington killed himself today. Guy left behind a wife and six kids.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #111183 on: July 20, 2017, 06:03:21 pm »

I currently work in a complicated regulatory area. Sometimes the rules and their enforcement mean well but don't make sense. People, real people, have been seriously hurt, abused, etc, so the rules clamped down. Now, everyone has to put up with this restrictive stuff. Part of my job is make sure nobody gets hurt or sued, etc. It has to be in writing, because the government doesn't believe it otherwise. People hate this, partially because of the absurdity, partially because the last person to do my job was despised and had no people skills to say the least.

Been here a couple weeks; there's been at least a couple years of screw ups, and in actuality, far more. Worse yet, everyone thinks they are an expert. They aren't. I am. I don't have the time to listen to everyone's theories that won't hold water.

I want to make things as easy as possible to let everyone do their job and have me manage things in the background to facilitate rather than regulate. They oppose.... I am being fought by a person I am trying to help. I want to make 30 forms a month into one to make their job easier. They do not get this and are cold shouldering me hard.

Crap.

Bad things happen if stuff isn't fixed. I am begging them to ... let me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:05:53 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #111184 on: July 20, 2017, 06:06:51 pm »

Someone like you is only here by choice. Whatever your original intentions, you have become truly lost. A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed or locked up.

But... if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can’t stop you, then you become something else entirely.  A legend.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #111185 on: July 20, 2017, 06:53:24 pm »

@Truean

Piece of advice, as someone who once worked with a lot of people with various letters rammed into various places on their names like dildos at a lesbian orgy, and routinely had to tell them (as a person without letters) that they were using their tech totally wrong and would get terrible results and they needed to change literally everything they were doing.

When you run into resistance, back off, ruminate, and return with the magic phrase: "I've been thinking, and you are right" Do not follow this with a 'but', use an 'and'. After that, restate the necessary operation that they hated before, but include vague references to their nonsensical opinions.

75% of the time, I've found this trick is greeted with some (condescending) variant of "I'm glad you see it my way", and a rubber stamp.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:29:33 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #111186 on: July 20, 2017, 07:09:34 pm »

Please don't quote Truean.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111187 on: July 21, 2017, 06:34:30 am »

Yeah, same here. That's why I like potatoes. Whatever happens, you can keep planting potatoes, tending to potatoes, digging up potatoes, eating potatoes. Just like uncountable folks before you, and uncountable folks after you. As long as you're growing potatoes, you're alive.

Fuck yams though.

This is some serious potatotherapy here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #111188 on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:16 am »

Please don't quote Truean.

I honestly had completely forgotten about that. My bad, fixing.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #111189 on: July 21, 2017, 10:54:58 am »

Just want to mention that I'm back here again to listen to people. Not necessarily offering advice, since I know nothing, but hopefully supporting people.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #111190 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:50 pm »

Coworker didn't show up to work today. He'd been talking about looking for other work the past couple of weeks. Most likely this is him quitting.

We are already short staffed and can't find anyone to hire to help fill in gaps. Now we are probably going to be even more short staffed. Asshole.

I'm tired as shit and each day of work makes me more angry at everything. I need a break.

Better and better. I think I'm getting a cold.

Also, dad fell. He has some balance issues due to neuropathy (basically lack of feeling) in his feet. From his description, he turned around too fast and "next thing he knew" he was face down on the floor. Sounds like he hit his head falling to the floor and struck a gash above his nose bridge. That caused a bit of blood and freaked my mom out, who got me up and freaked me out. Cleaned everything up, talked with dad about it, and it sounds like it's a minor issue and not anything more serious like I would fear. Within ten minutes he was back to walking around and the bleeding had stopped, so I don't think there was any internal damage from him bumping his head, just the gash and possibly a nose bleed. Hopefully it's nothing.

But now it's got me thinking about how both my parents are getting older and spontaneous health issues do happen at their age (brain aneurysm suddenly killed my dad's sister and I think his mother as well for example) and how both my mother and I depend on my dad for a good deal and if he suddenly died I don't know how I would support my mother in day to day life. Everything could be disrupted over night if he suddenly died in his sleep.

Don't know how much sleep I'll get tonight. A phrase that comes to my mind is "These are times that try men's souls." Apparently from google this was Thomas Paine talking about the American Revolution but hell if it doesn't fit my mood right now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:39:16 pm by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #111191 on: July 22, 2017, 01:56:22 am »

Thank you. I get that crap happens. Very appreciated.

For what it's worth, that sucks. Wish it didn't happen like that. Not sure how to empathize sometimes, though clearly, these qualify for it.... I don't know quite what to say. I also have worked with people who split when most needed. Compensating is very difficult; I hope not too much so for you. Older parents are an odd situation; falls especially. I can empathize with the family part (somewhat at least. I don't pretend to know everything you're going through).

Part of me, at least in theory, wouldn't mind a larger extended supportive family for exactly the reasons you listed in the last part of your post. Personally, my family is too judgmental and ... non functional {?} for that. I don't know. I suppose the point I'm aiming for is appropriate sympathy.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #111192 on: July 22, 2017, 05:54:17 pm »

Funny thing, Truean, I don't have any extended supportive family. My parents are the closest family I have. Other than them the only family I really know (or what's left of the family I know, many have died of old age the last couple years) who I'd say is supportive is a (20 years my senior) stepbrother and his wife and kids, and an uncle. I don't have any friends either. So my few family members is all I got.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #111193 on: July 22, 2017, 06:22:41 pm »

I have my parents, and an aunt. Siblings, too, but only one of them is self-sustaining.

My dad is coming up on 70. So yeah, I worry about the same a lot.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #111194 on: July 22, 2017, 09:34:54 pm »

Going to pile on as one more who can relate.

My wife and I both only have my parents and siblings.  I don't have a good relationship with my sister, and my brothers are both basement-dwelling recluse.  The rest of my family all lives out of state, and of them there's only one I see at least once a year anymore.  My wife's given up on all her family except her grandparents, who she only talks to on the phone once in a while.  I have lots of acquaintances, but only a few friends I've spent much time with.  None that I see with any regularity.  Only two who really even know much about my life right now.

It sucks.  Everyone I encounter who's doing alright has lots of social support, especially from family... or church groups.  It's hard to get by without that stuff.

Doesn't help that I have a really hard time making myself socially accessible to people.  My social skills are fine.  I get along with just about anybody.  I don't even have a problem opening up to people.  But an unfortunate series of chapters in my life has turned me into someone who has trouble developing attachments or maintaining relationships.  Comes from moving a lot in early childhood, serious bullying and ostracization issues through my mid-childhood, and then my wife's extreme control and jealousy issues through my early adulthood.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 7411 7412 [7413] 7414 7415 ... 8168