Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7068 7069 [7070] 7071 7072 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434383 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #106035 on: July 13, 2016, 01:05:03 am »

I agree that things are seeming worse in the bays. This saddens me. Sads for the sad god, nostalgia for the nostalgia throne.
Congratulations, you're now a regular. Come join us next Saturday as we discuss how stupid those newbies are and how they're ruining our boards with low quality RTDs and uninnovative DF stories.
Putnam's right, the DF fanbase is insufferable! Us enlightened lowerboarders are the only ones worthy to be called fans.

Is anybody else sick and tired of the phrase "shitpost"? It might just be me but it feels like GD just kind of started to go downhill around the time that word started popping up.
I agree, any time someone says it, it soujds like the discussion quality lowers a level...
Nooo
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106036 on: July 13, 2016, 01:15:19 am »

quality post full of high-quality quality

It's basically our version of Godwin's law.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #106037 on: July 13, 2016, 01:32:30 am »

I'd forgotten how much fatigue makes old (emotion al) wounds fester.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106038 on: July 13, 2016, 04:02:57 am »

I dunno if I can really say Bay12 has dropped in quality. Back a few years, I distinctly remember getting a very, for lack of a better word, "This is my SPECIAL CLUB only for the ELITE OF THE NET" feeling in both the upper and lower boards. I also remember a few embarrassing "why Bay12 is teh smartest and evey1 else r retard" threads, which probably did not help with that.

That being said, there is a true lack of great, memorable stories nowadays, which makes me upset.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106039 on: July 13, 2016, 04:18:50 am »

I agree that things are seeming worse in the bays. This saddens me. Sads for the sad god, nostalgia for the nostalgia throne.
Congratulations, you're now a regular. Come join us next Saturday as we discuss how stupid those newbies are and how they're ruining our boards with low quality RTDs and uninnovative DF stories.

Not to mention clowns.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #106040 on: July 13, 2016, 04:22:39 am »

I dunno if I can really say Bay12 has dropped in quality. Back a few years, I distinctly remember getting a very, for lack of a better word, "This is my SPECIAL CLUB only for the ELITE OF THE NET" feeling in both the upper and lower boards. I also remember a few embarrassing "why Bay12 is teh smartest and evey1 else r retard" threads, which probably did not help with that.

That being said, there is a true lack of great, memorable stories nowadays, which makes me upset.

you still get that whenever i complain the word "cringe" being used in an emotive context as it is everywhere else on the internet then get shot down and called various synonyms for "belligerent" for not treating bay12 like a sooper speshul place where nobody ever makes fun of anyone

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106041 on: July 13, 2016, 04:41:19 am »

Context is in fact a thing

What sort of stories do you mean?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106042 on: July 13, 2016, 04:47:28 am »

What sort of stories do you mean?
Fort and adventure mode stories. Legends, too.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106043 on: July 13, 2016, 05:04:27 am »

There's lots of stories. The only difference between "memorable" and "not memorable" is whether or not you get involved.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #106044 on: July 13, 2016, 05:06:08 am »

Also you can only have so many elf kings before the novelty wear off.

Plus I think Toady One removed superhumans so extremely OP warlords are rarer nonexistent.

We're in the awkward phase before Toady add magic and other interesting things.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:07:45 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #106045 on: July 13, 2016, 05:30:52 am »

Context is in fact a thing

the context is literally just "cringe" in every case where that's happened

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #106046 on: July 13, 2016, 06:05:28 am »

Also nnnnnnngh it frustrates me intensely that my (f)artistic abilities in meatspace don't match up to those in my head, because my head just kind of spawns all kinds of awesome imagery out of nowhere, but when i finally work up the courage to try making one of them, it just looks like a shitstain on toilet paper in comparison. I know it's just a matter of putting in time and effort to sculpt this shitstain into something actually cool, but for some annoying reason, i quickly get discouraged when i see how terrible the initial stages look. I really need to work on my patience. :I

Then imagine how it must feel for all the rest of us who have the same mental pictideas but lack your skill at doodling ;)

Is anybody else sick and tired of the phrase "shitpost"? It might just be me but it feels like GD just kind of started to go downhill around the time that word started popping up.

I agree. Except on the issue of the timetable. It's been going lowerer (though not steadily) for quite some time. The shitposting, both the talk of it and the actual posts themselves, is just another consequence of this.

And by the way, I by no means claim to not be part of this slope myself too.
Love, scriver~

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106047 on: July 13, 2016, 06:28:41 am »

the context is literally just "cringe" in every case where that's happened
I think you've been staring into the abyss too long

I agree. Except on the issue of the timetable. It's been going lowerer (though not steadily) for quite some time. The shitposting, both the talk of it and the actual posts themselves, is just another consequence of this.

I don't really see GD going downhill. We've always had dumb memes and worthless contributions, only difference now is that we've got a word for it.
Certainly there's a culture shift as old members leave and new members join, but I can't say it's a negative. We still have serious discussions. We still have stupid and irrelevant discussions. The average post quality is the same as it ever was, as far as I can tell.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #106048 on: July 13, 2016, 06:54:05 am »

I don't really see GD going downhill. We've always had dumb memes and worthless contributions, only difference now is that we've got a word for it.
Certainly there's a culture shift as old members leave and new members join, but I can't say it's a negative. We still have serious discussions. We still have stupid and irrelevant discussions. The average post quality is the same as it ever was, as far as I can tell.
It reflects in part the culture the posters are commonly exposed to. I thoroughly dislike "shitposting" because it's an unnecessary use of time and thinking to an otherwise different path than spending your time in improving or using the thread as is (there have been times where people did that in Life Advice for example >_>, and/or I may be biased, but the idea in itself doesn't look beneficial at all in the long-run).

GD as a whole--not so. But some posts within relative threads could be in part because of that kind of mindset, if that's the only thing being done. [And may be just me--but given the vast difference of having access to the internet, personal time of 24 hours per day, and what you can potentially do on the internet...it seems a waste of time for a very short-term gain of fun or enjoyment.]

Nostalgia's a hell of a thing. Makes you forget all the shit, or makes it seem not so bad, and makes the good stuff seem better.

Though I do miss some of the older members that have vanished.
I believe they can still be contacted :O
Though I do miss particular ones too :/

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #106049 on: July 13, 2016, 08:20:33 am »

Then imagine how it must feel for all the rest of us who have the same mental pictideas but lack your skill at doodling ;)
I think that's some odd backwards compliment, so thanks. :v
I can totally imagine it though, after all, i was terrible at all things artsy merely 8 years ago. Case in point, this was 8 years ago, and that was me trying to draw reasonably well. But, the most awful thing is that your mental ideas improve in tact with your actual skill (and likewise do your standards rise), so the frustration just keeps going in full force, you just get vaguely better at dealing with it. Way back yonder i was satisfied if i could feasibly say "IT REGISTERS AS A HORSE 40% OF THE TIME, WOO", now i'm more concerned with "THE EARS LOOK WRONG AND I DIDN'T ALIGN THE NOSTRILS RIGHT, UGH". Fuckin' brain, always finding something to bitch about. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 7068 7069 [7070] 7071 7072 ... 8167