Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6601 6602 [6603] 6604 6605 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446302 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #99030 on: November 19, 2015, 12:21:05 pm »

Yesterday I was asked to lie to any auditors that show up. I looked around for the number to the company's anonymous tip line, but my boss noticed me snooping through the old training documents in the punch  in/out area and asked me about it. I am now in trouble for stirring up trouble. Yeesh, this is VERY reflective of the bridge line in Working by I Fight Dragons: "How can I let This go? Know only what I need to know? Can I be only what they tell me I should show? Noo...."
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #99031 on: November 19, 2015, 01:33:19 pm »

So basically, your boss asked you to commit a felony so that if someone gets caught its your fault and not the companies?  Sounds about right.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #99032 on: November 19, 2015, 02:19:12 pm »

Yeah, that's definitely a case where the penalties of following through with what they want you to do are much higher than the ones of telling them no. Felonies are not fun, guys.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99033 on: November 19, 2015, 02:59:45 pm »

Well, last time we had an auditor, she asked to see how we open the till. It requires a swipe card, but when the cashiers's worked, she asked if anyone can do that. Basically all our cashiers could. Only the manager and supervisors are supposed to be able without a sale, so the keycards were reprogrammed so only the manager's keycard will open the till.
But he's not here 24/7, and they need it open to open in the morning & close at night; so my boss's boss's boss added a 5¢ dummy product so that we could open it, compromising security further, and naming the product "+syrup", which we don't sell syrups. And we were told "Don't use this button in front of an auditor, don't even tell an auditor about it."

And when my boss talked to me about it (because I was looking for the phone # i mentioned), he said we can't afford enough management/supervisors to be here when we close, so they need the button, and it was his boss's boss who gave the order, not him, and that the auditor "already knows about it", which is strange because why can't we use it in front of her then?
The Cyan Menace

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99034 on: November 19, 2015, 03:09:21 pm »

Auditor...or frauditor?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99035 on: November 19, 2015, 03:20:31 pm »

Yeah, there is... definitely a problem somewhere up the command chain. Sorry you have to deal with that.

As far as unsolicited advice, I guess it depends on where you live and how able you are to deal with the fallout of pissing off your bosses. If you're somewhere with decent whistleblower protection stuff, you're essentially immune to reprisal from your employer, but the onus is on you to report it and make a legal issue out of it. If you can't find some other job in the meantime, they may be counting on you not having the option of letting yourself get fucked over until you're able to conclude a legal action. If you can weather a short term beating in exchange for long term safety and repayment, report it. Otherwise, :(
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99036 on: November 19, 2015, 03:41:38 pm »

Yeah, that's definitely a case where the penalties of following through with what they want you to do are much higher than the ones of telling them no. Felonies are not fun, guys.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistleblower
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99037 on: November 19, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »

Today as a complete waste of time and I have a headache.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #99038 on: November 19, 2015, 05:33:39 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistleblower
Just because you are protected legally doesn't meant they can't do all matter of things to make your life hell, sadly, as well as kissing any chance of upward movement in the company farewell. :-\
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99039 on: November 19, 2015, 06:05:02 pm »

On the plus side of things, I dislike the job anyways and need an excuse to quit so I can start college...

I question whether or not I should use the company's own anonymous tip line... It's big enough that even my boss's boss's boss is basically just another underling. His boss contols our company in Alberta, and his boss for Canada, and while he's top dog in our company, our company is under control of a bigger company, meaning there are two more levels of boss above that. So I have 7 layers of boss, and my current issue supposedly comes from the third layer up. Honestly I'm not surprised, the company's solution to every problem has always been creating a bigger problem.
The Cyan Menace

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99040 on: November 19, 2015, 07:07:19 pm »

I'm bored and there's no work to do and we're out of tea and it's only 10am.  The only thing keeping me going right now is a possibility of bagels at a meeting later this morning.
Bouchart, your avatar is perfect.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99041 on: November 19, 2015, 07:21:02 pm »

I'm bored and there's no work to do and we're out of tea and it's only 10am.  The only thing keeping me going right now is a possibility of bagels at a meeting later this morning.
Bouchart, your avatar is perfect.
*Almost perfect.
Wally likes coffee and donuts, not tea and bagels.  ;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99042 on: November 19, 2015, 08:13:01 pm »

Bah. They're basically the same. What's one pairing of a hot caffeinated beverage and ringbread to another?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #99043 on: November 19, 2015, 10:55:18 pm »

Spending the weekend in the hospital for mental reasons, don't have time to post much more than that but I am scared.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99044 on: November 19, 2015, 11:02:39 pm »

-snip-
Chin up, dude. No idea what the issue is but at least you're receiving help. Good luck. :)

My own sad: being unable to completely remove someone from my life (in this strange modern world that would basically mean unfriending them on Facebook) without having to do some uncomfortable explaining to one of my friends/housemates (who is a mutual friend), possibly losing them as a friend in the process and causing unpleasant tension in my home.

This whole social media thing is a pain in the arse. It seems rather petty to 'unfriend' someone you dislike, but the alternative is having their name there listed as your "friend" when in fact you hate their guts. Augh. In fact at least half of my friends list probably consists of such people- people I dislike but have to interact with somewhat regularly IRL, so in the interests of avoiding confrontation (seriously, some people take this stuff way too seriously) I'm stuck with 'em. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 6601 6602 [6603] 6604 6605 ... 8167