Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6603 6604 [6605] 6606 6607 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443485 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #99060 on: November 20, 2015, 03:06:33 pm »

For once, my sad is a tiny bit congruent with posts in the same page... material for the happy thread? *weak chuckle*

It feels like any time I grow the slightest bit of my old idealism back, I get about five stiff reminders that the world is awful, humans are awful, and neither will be fixed, and even if either could possibly be fixed, it won't be within my life time. Started my morning off with a documentary about military rape in my comms class, then news of more school shootings and school bomb threats around the country, including neighbor states, and dismal events from as broad as the attacks in Beirut, Paris and Mali to as petty as minor backstabbing in the workplace.

I wish I still had my copy of As I Lay Dying. Faulkner was a depressing fuck, but he probably wrote something that expresses the way I feel now.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #99061 on: November 20, 2015, 03:55:05 pm »

Unfortunately, it's also terminal.
It's a tragedy that the most common of afflictions our people suffer is also the one we have no way or inclination to treat.
We could do brain uploading, but then people always start mentioning those pesky "is a copy of you still you?" and "is it even still human?" questions to slow down research. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99062 on: November 20, 2015, 03:58:36 pm »

The headphones I want to buy are pretty dang expensive, and on top of that they need to be ordered from the States at a high shipping cost.
I think at the very least I'll have to forgo the gig I was planning on attending this Sunday to save money. No doubt if I go through with this I'll be short of cash for the next couple of weeks, too. I need to decide whether or not to do this before I get paid on Monday.

Edit: At least I have one more payday between then and the Uncle Acid show I plan on going to next month, so I needn't worry about missing that.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99063 on: November 20, 2015, 04:08:03 pm »

The headphones I want to buy are pretty dang expensive, and on top of that they need to be ordered from the States at a high shipping cost.
I think at the very least I'll have to forgo the gig I was planning on attending this Sunday to save money. No doubt if I go through with this I'll be short of cash for the next couple of weeks, too. I need to decide whether or not to do this before I get paid on Monday.

Edit: At least I have one more payday between then and the Uncle Acid show I plan on going to next month, so I needn't worry about missing that.
If you can try waiting one more week from now to buy them. Next week Friday is black Friday in the United States, so there are going to be tons of flash sales and other discounts happening that day. Depending on how lucky you are you might be able to either get a rather large discount or maybe pick up some even better headphones for less. :)
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99064 on: November 20, 2015, 04:14:36 pm »

Hmm... do those discounts apply to online purchases, too? :o
That sounds hopeful if so.
Booze is Life for Yoink

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99065 on: November 20, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »

Even MORE so.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99066 on: November 20, 2015, 04:22:58 pm »

AFAIK most do, though some sites that have different stores for different countries might limit it to only certain ones (for example I believe Apple limits their Black Friday sales only to buyers from the US or Australia). The exact specifics depend a bit on the exact site you are buying from. A fair number of sites also do what is called "Cyber Monday" on the monday following black Friday (as in not a few days from now but the monday after that) where the deals tend to focus more around electronics and computer-focused deals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99067 on: November 20, 2015, 04:23:49 pm »

Probably helps to go to their US sites, then?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99068 on: November 20, 2015, 04:33:27 pm »

AFAIK most do, though some sites that have different stores for different countries might limit it to only certain ones (for example I believe Apple limits their Black Friday sales only to buyers from the US or Australia). The exact specifics depend a bit on the exact site you are buying from. A fair number of sites also do what is called "Cyber Monday" on the monday following black Friday (as in not a few days from now but the monday after that) where the deals tend to focus more around electronics and computer-focused deals.
Huh, thanks! I'll look into it. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99069 on: November 20, 2015, 05:38:12 pm »

For once, my sad is a tiny bit congruent with posts in the same page... material for the happy thread? *weak chuckle*

It feels like any time I grow the slightest bit of my old idealism back, I get about five stiff reminders that the world is awful, humans are awful, and neither will be fixed, and even if either could possibly be fixed, it won't be within my life time. Started my morning off with a documentary about military rape in my comms class, then news of more school shootings and school bomb threats around the country, including neighbor states, and dismal events from as broad as the attacks in Beirut, Paris and Mali to as petty as minor backstabbing in the workplace.

I wish I still had my copy of As I Lay Dying. Faulkner was a depressing fuck, but he probably wrote something that expresses the way I feel now.
so my question is - do you need the world to be wonderful and happy? or can your idealism be sated with the knowledge that whatever the absolute coordinates of the world's ugliness, you can at least wobble the rate of change a little bit? is it enough to know that even if you can't make the world good, you can make it better?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99070 on: November 20, 2015, 06:10:14 pm »

I don't understand the concept of Australians appropriating thanksgiving or Black Friday.
I mean, it'd be like us celebrating Independence Day.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99071 on: November 20, 2015, 06:11:49 pm »

I don't understand the concept of Australians appropriating thanksgiving or Black Friday.
It's the deals that do it.
Apparently.
Sigtext

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99072 on: November 20, 2015, 06:18:46 pm »

I suppose you could celebrate the anniversary of restraining the authority of the Governor-General, which is kinda the same thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #99073 on: November 20, 2015, 06:59:12 pm »

I tried to have a respectful discussion with someone today. That ended with me just being quiet, because I no longer care. Rather I do care and am saddened by it. This is now normal, and something I just have to get used to and adapt/cope with. I know it isn't new, but it is now very prevalent.

I spent years of my life learning skills, speaking, and sense. All of it basically tossed aside with what may as well be an alcoholic's level of shrugging indignation. It isn't sensical, generational, or reliable. It seems unpredictable and without reason.

It seems nearly everyone is pissed off about nearly everything, and crying/complaining/bitching is the default response from them.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99074 on: November 20, 2015, 10:12:49 pm »

I suppose you could celebrate the anniversary of restraining the authority of the Governor-General, which is kinda the same thing.
Eh, we have Queenie's birthday, which is probably our British-yoked version of Independence Day, but it isn't quite as loud or patriotic.

Actually, amusingly, Thanksgiving was first perpetuated by the Protestant Brits, just as a harvest festival sorta thing.
Here I thought it originated at Plymouth.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:51:36 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 6603 6604 [6605] 6606 6607 ... 8167