Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6551 6552 [6553] 6554 6555 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9454084 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98280 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:53 pm »

Back from taking my calculus test.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tl;dr: Hooooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit someone kill me now and end my suffering.

A single weekend of non-stop studying is a bad idea and obviously not enough if your math is anything like mine was. Instead try maybe continuous daily working? Like, surely you can set aside two hours to practice that stuff every day, that would go a much longer way than trying to cram as much as you can in a single weekend, mostly because these kinds of things can't be crammed like that. Hell, if that doesn't help, look into tutoring, ask someone who's doing well for help, ask here, ask anywhere, just don't claim it can't be done when you haven't tried most of the options yet :S

Also you might want to get your self control issues under control (lel), because iirc you were lamenting staying up too late playing games/doing whatever a number of times over the past few weeks, my guess is that didn't help any to your bad performance.

In short, it might sound harsh, but dude, get your shit together, you can do this, trust me.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98281 on: October 26, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can do the thing if you try.
That's what I've always thought. That's what I thought going into this test. Look how that went. I'm obviously trying, but clearly I'm not trying hard enough because if I was then I wouldn't be having this problem right.

It's like I've suddenly hit the skill ceiling of "things I can do good" and everything beyond that I can expect to get progressively worse at and can't hope to do well enough in a small amount of time to pass a grade standard. And that's great because this is required for my major and if I can't pass this then shit I guess I can give up on my goals and life plans based around a computer science college major.

-snip-

I do homework for this class almost every day. That's pretty much an example of continuous daily working.

Yes I'm aware that I wasted a lot of time earlier this week playing games like a retard, thanks, I'll go back in time and fix that because that's obviously easy to do, just go back in time and fix every mistake you ever made. Yep. Easy.

Ugh. Regret venting here. My bad. Sorry. Don't like talking about this. Clearly I just need to work harder, got it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98282 on: October 26, 2015, 03:02:52 pm »

@Sphess:
Alternative solution:
See if you can find an alternative requirement.
It might be a bit late to start, but you can certainly try.
It doesn't really make that much sense for programming to mandate calculus.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #98283 on: October 26, 2015, 03:39:24 pm »

At no point did I say you should go back and fix past mistakes, sorry if it read that way.

What I meant by that part is that you should probably watch out for that kind of thing in the future. But sorry for trying to be helpful, not like I've had shit go wrong because of the same damn reasons so I have no idea what the feeling is like :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98284 on: October 26, 2015, 04:33:15 pm »

You might consider software engineering or something, although I suppose Calc 1 is probably a requirement for just about every degree outside the humanities. For what it's worth, in my experience, the most important things you can do are eat well and get plenty of sleep before an exam, then apply caffeine. It's also helped me if I spend the day before relaxing, instead of studying; I find the psychological benefits are more important than whatever stray facts I might manage to stick in such a short time. Your experience might be different, though, and that's fine; what I just said certainly runs counter to standard approaches to the problem.

Anyway, I'm sorry if practical advice isn't what you're after because you just needed to vent - it is a really shitty situation to be in, and I'm not trying to blame you for your own problems or anything. Not that it's much consolation, but from what I remember of things you've posted, the textbook is terrible and responsible for more of your problems than you are. I'm just going to throw this out as a potentially helpful resource; I've mentioned it before, but maybe not in a place you would have seen it? It's great for conceptual explanations, I can't vouch for anything else as I've only watched the lectures.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #98285 on: October 26, 2015, 05:03:53 pm »

I'm falling for someone, and I don't know if I'm in a strong enough emotional position to support a relationship.

So, today has been most of a disaster. At least my job interview went well. I think.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98286 on: October 26, 2015, 05:09:18 pm »

I'm falling for someone, and I don't know if I'm in a strong enough emotional position to support a relationship.

So, today has been most of a disaster. At least my job interview went well. I think.
Hopefully, any relationship you get in with this person would strengthen your emotional position, not weaken it... Either way, good luck with the job and the potential relationship.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98287 on: October 26, 2015, 07:05:10 pm »

Didn't do so good on my biochem and analytical exams, a D and a C respectively when I needed B's at least. I'm pretty sure it was a fluke though, and luckily I have all the homework points and I did pretty well on the first exam in both of those classes, so my midterm grade won't be completely fucked. Even more fortunate is that my biochem professor has an extra exam on the books, and drops the one you scored the lowest on. Still, my buffer zone went from "spacious" to "turn of the century Belgium" over the course of about 3 days, and I'm not in a very happy place right now.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #98288 on: October 26, 2015, 07:15:20 pm »

5 pages of newbox threads and no time to reply to most of them .-.
Happy exam week ahead!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98289 on: October 26, 2015, 08:11:26 pm »

Didn't do so good on my biochem and analytical exams, a D and a C respectively when I needed B's at least. I'm pretty sure it was a fluke though, and luckily I have all the homework points and I did pretty well on the first exam in both of those classes, so my midterm grade won't be completely fucked. Even more fortunate is that my biochem professor has an extra exam on the books, and drops the one you scored the lowest on. Still, my buffer zone went from "spacious" to "turn of the century Belgium" over the course of about 3 days, and I'm not in a very happy place right now.
This is the problem with having a civilization (more specifically, a continuous literature with phrases and words in-use) lasting more than 100 years:

Which century? 1900s? 2000s?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98290 on: October 26, 2015, 08:12:40 pm »

Happy exam week ahead!
5 pages?!
Sigtext

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98291 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:54 pm »

I had the Schlieffen Plan in mind, but I suppose the Napoleonic wars wouldn't change the meaning all that much.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #98292 on: October 26, 2015, 08:43:16 pm »

Happy exam week ahead!
5 pages?!
5 pages of newbox threads in a list, yes ^ ^

Now 4 pages :D But I guess that's what you get if you're on the forum for 4-ish years. ^ ^ And don't post in a lot of continually updating threads. It's actually a small number.

I just want to post in all of them but studies says 'Pay attention to meee too Tiri! :3'. So I had to say yes.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98293 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:39 pm »

I had the Schlieffen Plan in mind, but I suppose the Napoleonic wars wouldn't change the meaning all that much.
So France is an empire under Zombie Napoleon now-a-days. Huh. Who knew?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98294 on: October 26, 2015, 10:20:19 pm »

Which century? 1900s? 2000s?
7800 BC, duh.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 6551 6552 [6553] 6554 6555 ... 8167