Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6413 6414 [6415] 6416 6417 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443504 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96210 on: August 10, 2015, 07:21:04 am »

That describes many of my nights. As it happens, though, i also feel bad about it, although tonight i was up late because i was too salty to go to sleep. :v

-snip for spacesavings-
Yyyyyyyyyyep. A lot of this sounds awfully relatable. Most job offers i've seen around here called for kids under 18, and well I'M NOT EXACTLY UNDER 18 ANY MORE. All other potential jobs are full time jobs. Dem politicians be vastly overestimating how many vacant spots there are for part-time student workers, especially since they're just expecting all students that can't support themselves on the grant (read: the average student cannot) to get a holiday job.

[urge to drop out in protest intensifies]
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #96211 on: August 10, 2015, 07:50:47 am »

[urge to drop out in protest intensifies]
That's a really big decision to make and you probably would regret it if you didn't think it through very carefully and weigh your options. Just impulsively saying "This system sucks and I refuse to be a part of it I drop out" isn't the best idea.

Also, one more student dropping out of college will hardly be enough to get any politician's attention. Or at least any politician in a position to do something big about what you'd be protesting. Rallying tons of students from multiple colleges to all drop out at once, maybe, or an entire college student body maybe, but not just one more guy.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #96212 on: August 10, 2015, 08:45:03 am »

I know, that's why i'm not actually doing it. I'm just saying though, with all these changes that are intended to push students through faster, they're going to see more of them dropping out. There's already been a completely absurd rise in the number of re-exams (+270% in one place, for example). Also note, education is free in Denmark, so it's not like i'd be throwing a huge tuition fee away. :v

Now, see, i do realize that education being free in Denmark is a huge thing, but they are NOT doing this in the right way. All they're doing is taking away flexibility. You need an actual medical reason (and documentation thereof) if you are to spread the study out over a longer time, a bit like Reudh said, except this is about even being permitted to take fewer classes at a time in the first place. I've had to jump through a lot of hoops to withdraw from two classes the past semester, and i'd have to jump through A LOT more hoops if that pattern was to continue. Frankly, i'm not terribly optimistic about this, but it doesn't seem like i have any choice in the matter. I USED to have a choice, and now i don't. That's what bothers me so badly.

Also, re: politicians not noticing, i'd obviously write more than one subtly scathing message for the public to read, possibly even letters to relevant politicians saying "congratulations, your reforms have successfully made a student drop out of university, i hope this is what you intended". It's also not exactly impulsive any more; it all began a year ago, and it's been going downhill from there. I'm still clinging on, but they're really trying to grease up the rope here.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #96213 on: August 10, 2015, 08:53:51 am »

Hmm. Yeah. Dunno what to say then, man. I mean, at least you don't have to worry about crippling debts from having to take out loans just to be able to pay for college, right? Could be worse, you could have terrible college customer service AND be paying for it out of your own pockets by having to take loans from other people's pockets.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96214 on: August 10, 2015, 10:40:35 am »

Hmm. Yeah. Dunno what to say then, man. I mean, at least you don't have to worry about crippling debts from having to take out loans just to be able to pay for college, right? Could be worse, you could have terrible college customer service AND be paying for it out of your own pockets by having to take loans from other people's pockets.

Well, what we have here in Australia is effectively a cheaper version of the American model for uni - the government pays 50% and puts the other 50% on a loan indexed against inflation. So we're a halfway house between America and the Nordic states/Poland. That said, I'm already 3.5 years into a 3 year degree that I am currently doing subjects that go in second year. Depression is a muthafunker.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #96215 on: August 10, 2015, 10:45:18 am »

Vacation over. Back to work. And because one of my colleagues covered my projects this past week, I'm covering two of his while he's on vacation this week and next.

*sigh* I need a vacation.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96216 on: August 10, 2015, 11:33:27 am »

So my dad has some stances and views which are kinda not cool. Aside from bashing the US whenever he can (and I wouldn't even mind it if he wasn't doing it in the most hammy and stupid way possible, but hey, why attack them over real issues when you can just say they're all idiots and are to blame for most of the shit going on in the world), he commented on the incredibly large number of refugees from the middle east, saying that they don't really need to flee their war torn region, they just gotta kick out the folks who are causing the war tearing, namely the folks US put in place or something. Now I can kinda see his pov since he did fight to defend his home and family in the war that happened here but that was not exactly the same cup of shitstorm that's happening in the middle east right now.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #96217 on: August 10, 2015, 11:46:06 am »

Politicians are assholes
(Although some of the time some aren't.)
In the same way some cancers are not terminal.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #96218 on: August 10, 2015, 12:26:57 pm »

That's genuinely what I think about Nigel Farage.

He genuinely believes what he's doing is for the best - no doubt you all disagree, but I've come to expect that - whilst you can't say the same of David Cameron, for example.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96219 on: August 10, 2015, 12:36:04 pm »

That's genuinely what I think about Nigel Farage.

He genuinely believes what he's doing is for the best - no doubt you all disagree, but I've come to expect that - whilst you can't say the same of David Cameron, for example.

I certainly do believe he thinks he's doing things that will help Britain - as you say, I don't believe he's correct in leaving the EU, but he's certainly more genuine than Cameron.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96220 on: August 10, 2015, 01:11:41 pm »

AFAIK that's what most people - in Germany and elsewhere - believe about Schäuble, too :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96221 on: August 10, 2015, 01:15:08 pm »

Surely, being genuine is not a virtue by itself. I'm quite sure Trump is a genuine idiot who genuinely thinks he's the best thing since the sliced bread and the best choice for president.
Being a genuine idiot or fundamentalist or bigot is not a positive discriminator.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96222 on: August 10, 2015, 01:37:19 pm »

Being genuine is a modifier, not a stat in and of itself. So being a bad person and being geniune makes you worse of a person, and being a good person and being genuine makes you a better of a person. Simple math really :D

Also more dad related sads. I know he's not that bad of a guy, heck, he's divine compared to some of the stuff other folks have to put up with. It's just that he has this, I'm hesitant to call it a superiority complex because it doesn't seem as strong as that, but he certainly has trouble putting any blame on himself or looking at his faults and realising they're faults and in need of fixing. Meanwhile being quite to judge others and their shortcomings, quickly and needlessly blowing them out of proportion.
Like minutes ago, I didn't look at where my hand was going for a moment and I spilled my tea over the table, not much damage was done to anything and my grade card got a few drops but nothing major. His first reaction was "How can you be so clumsy, you're such a clumsy person." Now, if this was something that happened to me all the time I'd understand the comment, but this is an accident, that shit happens from time to time, and now you're acting like it's a fucking pattern, and when I tell him that and the surely he must have spilled shit at certain points in his past so he has no right to call me out on a fucking accident he gets all pissy. Well fuck that.

The worst, and most saddening part is that I see a lot of him in myself, certain traits that I really dislike and try to get rid of, but it's really hard when you try and change something that's been ingrained into you from practically day one.One of the reasons why I dislike being home nowadays is because he's a constant reminder of what I really really don't want to be as a person.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96223 on: August 10, 2015, 03:29:39 pm »

My grandfather is about to die.

...I don't want him to die.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96224 on: August 10, 2015, 04:38:32 pm »

Surely, being genuine is not a virtue by itself. I'm quite sure Trump is a genuine idiot who genuinely thinks he's the best thing since the sliced bread and the best choice for president.
Being a genuine idiot or fundamentalist or bigot is not a positive discriminator.

That is a different meaning of genuine than I was using, so it rather feels like you're misrepresenting my statement.

Being honest in your intentions and goal is better than dishonesty. Trying to do what you think is right, but you being wrong, is still better than doing what you know is wrong for your own gains.
That's what I'm saying about Farage and his ilk. I don't agree with their conclusions, but I do believe they are mostly doing it out 'pure' intentions, as opposed to a lot of politicians who are in it just for themselves.

Being genuine is a modifier, not a stat in and of itself. So being a bad person and being geniune makes you worse of a person, and being a good person and being genuine makes you a better of a person. Simple math really :D
This feels very... black-and-white. Someone who is a "bad person" can indeed have good qualities, and being honest in purpose is one of them.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 6413 6414 [6415] 6416 6417 ... 8167