Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6412 6413 [6414] 6415 6416 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443500 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96195 on: August 09, 2015, 01:53:33 pm »

Fascinating WW2 discussion though, seriously!  I listened to the entire video and even followed a lot of it.  Interesting points, helped me calm down a bit by geeking out.  If the discussion moves somewhere else, I'd like a link.

My gma's probably going blind.  Not sure how soon, but she's only had vision in one eye for a while now, and sounds like the doctor's giving up on the treatments (which is almost a silver lining, the treatments were not pleasant).
This is particularly awful because she loves reading, and her hearing is really bad so I'm not sure well audiobooks might work.
It's kinda *personally* awful because I *tried* to drive to the family reunion this morning, really, but got ill and had to turn back.  It was four hours away so I think I made the right choice, but still.  Sucks to miss it over some stress-nausea when other people in the family have more concrete issues.
Like, my aunt might have breast cancer.  Of course maybe my dad is exaggerating both things, it's always impossible to tell.  Which just makes it more frustrating that I couldn't make it, because maybe I could have heard for myself.

Also I somehow gained a couple of pounds yesterday despite eating a can of beans and one ice cream cone, then walking 5.4 miles with a loaded backpack.  Water weight, I guess.  Just gotta keep at it...  At least the hike was pleasant, despite the heat!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #96196 on: August 09, 2015, 01:59:19 pm »

Also I somehow gained a couple of pounds yesterday despite eating a can of beans and one ice cream cone, then walking 5.4 miles with a loaded backpack.  Water weight, I guess.  Just gotta keep at it...  At least the hike was pleasant, despite the heat!

Yeah, make sure you weigh yourself at the same time every day in the same clothes. I can add a kilogram or two just by putting on my jacket.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #96197 on: August 09, 2015, 02:01:56 pm »

I'm having some serious issues keeping my mind off some things, and this has been going on for the past... Month. If not more. Pretty sure much longer.

I have a game I'm supposed to run tomorrow and I've been too depressed to properly plan for it. I feel like such a letdown.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96198 on: August 09, 2015, 02:38:57 pm »

I've started a thread for people wanting to talk about the WW2 crapiness/awesomeness of certain armoured vehicles:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152506.0

While I can't promise I'll participate much, perhaps some of you will to our collective enjoyment, and perhaps even enlightenment.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96199 on: August 09, 2015, 02:59:04 pm »

R.I.P. little goldfishy.  You had a weird sideways mouth and a tumor thing on your side of your belly, but I liked you.  :(  I always expected him to die soon, but he kept living and was looking better until I found him dead on the bottom of my tank today.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96200 on: August 09, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »

R.I.P. little goldfishy.  You had a weird sideways mouth and a tumor thing on your side of your belly, but I liked you.  :(  I always expected him to die soon, but he kept living and was looking better until I found him dead on the bottom of my tank today.

RIP Levi's goldfish.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:19:18 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96201 on: August 09, 2015, 05:57:30 pm »

8000 documents is a lot. So I'm probably not gonna get it all done. I'll try to assemble a reasonable sample, maybe as many as 1000, and pray like hell it's good enough to get something interesting. Doesn't need to be anything better than that.

Also, I obviously can't know in advance, but I am almost certain that this thing is going to conclude that there is probably a person named Adam Methods mentioned from time to time. Guess we'll see.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96202 on: August 09, 2015, 06:43:54 pm »

I'm having some serious issues keeping my mind off some things, and this has been going on for the past... Month. If not more. Pretty sure much longer.

I have a game I'm supposed to run tomorrow and I've been too depressed to properly plan for it. I feel like such a letdown.

Not sure how helpful this might be, but have you tried some sort of interruption mechanism to keep you away from the dark thoughts? Like a rubberband around your wrist or something similar that serves to snap you out of it the moment you notice you might be spiralling into it. Now, it takes some attentivness and practice to watch yourself and stop yourself on time but I found it helped me quite a bit because the sharp pain serves to put a short block on everything and lets you reset into more positive thinking.
Then of course my rubberband snapped several times and I just couldn't get another one so it all went to shit, so remember to keep a spare!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96203 on: August 09, 2015, 08:07:14 pm »

That's really unfortunate, Hugo.
The only two grandparents I've lost, nobody cried at the funerals.
Gives me something to look forward to.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96204 on: August 09, 2015, 08:49:36 pm »

Monday. 2nd week of starting schoolday.

And I'm still ded-fatigued. x_x

Time to soldier it off (and discover the cause along the way)!

If...it helps, I may have a few stuffs to send by PMs ._.
Excuse self from game due to personal reasons though? I'm sure its understandable [even if "'its just'" depression {and that's very understandable}]
* Tiruin gives hugs.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #96205 on: August 09, 2015, 09:34:14 pm »

So apparently, political reforms mean that university students have to be taking all 6 classes for a semester in order to be eligible for the monetary support that we (can) get. Previously, you just had to be enrolled in a study, and could spread it out if needed. This... Kind of might cripple my income for the next half year, at least. And why? Well, because i've had the gall to be suffering from severe stress, and thus being unable to deal with a complete full time study. Politicians figure that since the grant generally isn't enough to sustain oneself anyways, students could just work in their holidays to save up money.

Do you know what holidays are to stressed people like myself? They're the only things keeping us from crumpling. The idea of having to work in my holidays is NOT attractive. I believe i've said this before, but i am sick and tired of being treated as a conveyor-belt commodity to be pushed through the machine faster. Ugh, sometimes i wish i had been born 5 years earlier. Could have been done with all this before shit hit the fan. ::)

* Shook is sad and salty
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #96206 on: August 09, 2015, 10:29:48 pm »

Politicians are assholes
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96207 on: August 09, 2015, 11:05:53 pm »

Politicians are assholes
(Can't say much more than that.)
(Although some of the time some aren't.)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96208 on: August 10, 2015, 12:45:30 am »

So apparently, political reforms mean that university students have to be taking all 6 classes for a semester in order to be eligible for the monetary support that we (can) get. Previously, you just had to be enrolled in a study, and could spread it out if needed. This... Kind of might cripple my income for the next half year, at least. And why? Well, because i've had the gall to be suffering from severe stress, and thus being unable to deal with a complete full time study. Politicians figure that since the grant generally isn't enough to sustain oneself anyways, students could just work in their holidays to save up money.

Do you know what holidays are to stressed people like myself? They're the only things keeping us from crumpling. The idea of having to work in my holidays is NOT attractive. I believe i've said this before, but i am sick and tired of being treated as a conveyor-belt commodity to be pushed through the machine faster. Ugh, sometimes i wish i had been born 5 years earlier. Could have been done with all this before shit hit the fan. ::)

* Shook is sad and salty

I'm in more or less the same boat, except that for me it's because if you study longer than your course's allotted time + 6 months you are cut off unless you can prove why you are studying longer. So as I'm full time (three subjects, but lots of contact hours), I can't use the job seeker thing because even if I'm looking for a job, I'm a full time student and therefore not eligible... but I'm not eligible for the student allowance until a mythical "student services" department answers their phone and says "yes your transcript and medical certificate are correct here have more time". Of course, every time I've rung said department, it's either on hold for longer than I have available (2hr++ wait times are not unheard of) or simply goes to engaged or dial tone signal. I can't go in, because I'd be told "call them" instead, rendering the visit useless.

In the meantime I'm having to leech off my parents again (of course I am only taking $20 a week for transport and nothing else) but it is galling to be back in this stupid rut because few people will hire a 23 year old full time student who travels 68km twice daily already.

It makes me feel infuriated. I've applied for jobs out my way, but there are few about, and the chances of being hired in retail as a male 23 year old are nil. I could probably find factory work, but the only place semi-viable to fit in with uni would be in Werribee, which is another massive trip. That'd probably be well over 200km round trip every day I would be working and studying. I'd love to live closer to uni / study closer to home, but that's not doable, because to move out you need a job, and to get a job out there you need to live near there.
I recall the time I handed out 52 resumes in one day at a shopping centre close to uni, where there were many jobs being advertised, and every person who did more than just glance casually basically went "nope cos you live 68km from here and are a uni student".

I'm effectively put back into the position I was in in 2012-2013 and I really don't want that to continue. I am so sick of not having a job. I'm sick of using government money, because even if it's legitimate and I'm on student allowance, I still feel as if I'm leeching from people who need it more. I'm sick of having to sponge off my parents at 23 even as they cajole that it is okay as long as I am studying and putting effort in... but it's so galling.
All of this could be so neatly solved if only someone would bloody hire me!
Arrgrgrghrghgrgrhrhhrghrghgrh.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #96209 on: August 10, 2015, 04:34:44 am »

Stayed up until 4:30 in the morning now, basically goofing off and doing jackshit. Don't feel like going to sleep now, either. This will probably completely disrupt and ruin any plans I had to be productive tomorrow - technically today - because I'll probably wind up too tired to feel like doing anything and crashing and taking a nap all day.

Why do I do this to myself. Now I just feel guilty. Woop.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 6412 6413 [6414] 6415 6416 ... 8167